Hi thinking of moving to Tunisia

Hi, I am not sure if I have posted on here before, nbut my husband and I are thinking of coming to Sousse to live in a few years time.
My husband wants to start a breakfast bar over in Sousse, we either plan to sell our home here or rent it out, and either buy or rent a place in Sousse. I would rather just retire!
I would love to find out how many Brits are living in Sousse, and find out how hard it is to start up a business, and buy/rent places out there
Thanks

Michelle

Oh my. I've lived here retired and can fill you in. Email me a patrick.batchelder (at) gmail dot com. It's inexpense here but there are many "if's, and's or but's" I hope you or your husband speak fluent French.

Patrick

Hi,

Where did you move to? I am thinking about moving there too. After spending much time in Djerba and falling in love with it, I am actually considering Hammermet instead because I was hoping that the mentalities would be a bit more modern? Also can a single woman live there safely?

A single woman with extended family can live here if she is Tunisian. She will be safe but ifnot Tunisian harassed all the time. From cat-calls to icky cab drivers. You would be better off somewhere like La Marsa or even better somewhere else in the world.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. That is how I felt when I was in Djerba. I got harassed by the men there constantly. They got confused though, because I am mixed with Indian and can easily pass for a Tunisian woman look wise. But of course I dress and speak differently. It was lots of unwanted attention, but I really love Tunisia. I am looking for a second home base for 3 to 6 months out of the year at the beach and with everything else that is going on in Greece, Italy, and Spain....Djerba is the cheapest and closest option. I have not been to La Marsa yet. Will look into that.

Hi .i am also looking to move to tunisia and as a single lady who no a lot of locals

Kerkennah where I live is very small but has quite a few single retired women.They dont seem to have any problems here.Are not bothered by the men usually.There is the odd one like everwhere who tries it on initially but once told no amd word gets around never any further problems

monastir is the best place to move to
come and live in Monastir it's more cheaper than the capital city Tunis
monastir is a beautiful places and u can't get lost there
it has beautiful beach and it's super good
peoples there are friendly
you need more information you can contact me [email protected]ù

Monastir and Sousse are cheap and a lot of thinks to see and to visit, and Tunis is not very far you can go in the morning and come back late afternnon ou spend the night in Tunis.

Hi Michelle

I'm one of the few British ex-pats living in Sousse. We are in the minority. Most foreigners are French, Belgian, Italian, Danish and Libyan and almost every other nationality as well!  Recently met a few Irish.  Local authorities are overwhelmed with applications for residency (carte sejour).

If you intend to start a small catering  business go for Sousse / Hammamet alhough Hammamet is almost dead in winter as is Mahdia. Not sure about Monastir but having been there seversl times out of season all the restaurants were empty.

I'm not going to dampen your hopes but  if you come to settle here think very carefully!! This us NOT Europe and doesn't function like Europe.  Unless you have trustworthy local tri-lingual contacts you will, like all of us waste months and months going round in circles getting no where. The problem is this is a society where corruption goes unchecked. Also even officials do not know or cannot articulate their own laws. Believe me I know after countless visits to the Doane, Bureau des Estrangers and lawyers!!  Beaurocracy is dreadful..you must be patient beyond belief...

Language ..English is the 3rd or to some, 4th language here and while some peoole in tourist areas speak English most only speak arabic or french ...take lessons beforehand. I go to a great language school in Sousse ..it's been a Godsend.  All official documentation is only in french or arabic or you need to get it translated.

Finally... don't share your business plans with anyone or trust anyone with your money. Not all Tunisians are bad (I've got a couple of super Tunisian pals) but tourist areas are places where the unscupulous gather to scam tbe tourist or ex-pat. Locally known as "beezness".

Also choose your bank here wisely...most are a total shambles but interest rates on deposits better than what you get back home.

When you get over this, learn and appreciate the culture differences and turn a blind eye to the dirt and lack of certain stuff we're used to back home, the pace of life is slower and much less stressful (aside from Ramadan and driving) better, healthier climate, doctors/dentists/opticians/cosmetic surgeons are some of the best in tbe world, cost of living 1/3 of UK with cheap fuel and utilities.

You have to be "au fait" with insects as they are a plenty in summer witb temperatures in tbe mid 40s. Ramadan is hell on earth in Sousse if you make a move do it before or after...

Hope that helps. Bonne chance!

Carole

Definitely avoid Sousse!! With hindsight Bizerte or Nabuel would have been a better choice.

Make European friends prior to arrival and build a network.  Research the law and DON'T I beg you take someone's word on matters concerning car or hone ownership or the law. Do your own research or get a lawyer. Europeans are always a target for scanming.

Learn French or Arabic. You will not survive alone without the language.

It is a culture shock and there is limited choice in food/clothing/household goods.

If you have specific questiins I'll do my best to help.

Regards, Carole

Ergghhh most Europeans will die of boredom in Monastir. The single females I know who've lived there have quuckly moved away. They felt very uncomfortable being stared out in cafes etc.

I suggest stay at keast a month in winter in an area before making a decision on where to live.

Hi
Hope we can correspond!
Inès

Hi of course,we can correspond

Check out these groups on fb, I found them helpful:
facebook.com/groups/expatsintunisia/
facebook.com/groups/160075074490660/