Average salary and cost of living in malta

I am thinking of Malta to move to with my fiance who is a photographer and I am Arabic teacher she is English and I am Egyptian
I was wondering how much can I earn as teacher I have BA in Arabic language and its Arts and I have 5 years of experience
my fiance at that time will be my wife and she will apply for a scholarship in Malta as she has the ability to do coz her college offering it

Hi Egyptian 1,

I'm not sure about jobs teaching Arabic here in Malta. There are a few private schools ( also LIbyan school in St. Julians) that might be looking for Arabic teachers although they are more likely to be looking for other teachers. A job at a state school is definitly no.

State school teachers earn around 1400 € /month. Private school teachers could be a bit more.

Cheers
Ricky

That's nice to know
someone told me that there is Arabic department in University is that true and is it easy to join the stuff ( I know that there is Academic requirements I mean is it like in Egypt you have to have someone inside and corruption or not that bad )

Thanks Redmik. Just for clarification 1,000 is only my rental budget (excluding utilities) and it can even go upto 1,300. My preference would be to live in a family oriented place i.e. away from the the city life.

Any idea about the school fee?

So what do you think of 1400€ a month for two persons and what about 1000 for two people as I think that would be the budget for maybe 3 months as I can't guarantee that I find a job ahead of me

No idea of fees whatsoever. I have no interest in that subject.
All my children graduated from university years ago and are working.
I suggest you research and contact the schools and ask.

Egyptian I wrote:

So what do you think of 1400€ a month for two persons and what about 1000 for two people as I think that would be the budget for maybe 3 months as I can't guarantee that I find a job ahead of me

me and my partner live on 1400 euros a month  rent and all , its do-able ,  depends on what kind of lifestyle you wish to have and how frugal you are ..
we have lived on 800 a month too in the summer but if you dont have children then and you shop around , you cook for yourself etc then you'll be fine ..

ideally we would have two wages coming in but due to my health issues its not been easy for me to find work so we have to live on 1400 a month but were not struggling 
our weekly shopping budget is 50 euros, that includes water etc  public transport costs 26 euros(*2) each a month rent is 250 electric is about 30-40 euros max a month gas is 24 euros every couple of months and then tv internet and phone costs come to about 100 thats including two mobiles .. so essentially we pay about 700 euros on bills and food each month the other amount we either save or use to enjoy ourselves..  obvioulsy , if your going to be driving , you have pets , children , gym memberships etc this is all going to change  how much you spend each month

Hi TCN,

with that kind of rental budget you can find a place anywhere - even in Sliema or St. Juliens. What you choose will depend on your personal choice of quiet,lively,seaside,small village and so on.

It sounds a bit as if you are looking for a 3 month rental first ? That will be a problem and make it a lot more expensive if it is the case. Rental contracts up to 3 months are tourist rates and not that popular with landlords.

Cheers
Ricky

Private school fees are various from 2500 to 7000 per year.
The list of the schools: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Malta

Just send the request for quotation to all of them in your area, and don't forget that you need also to buy study books, uniform and pay for school bus

Hello,
We are looking to relocate to Malta for a change of lifestyle (London is just not for us!) and I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice.
I work in a bank (back office, non-managerial position) and my husband works for an online gaming company (non-managerial). We are not money orientated but it is important that we both work. I would like to hear your opinions about the job prospects in these sectors for expats in Malta. I appreciate that everyone's experience and skills are different and it's hard to advise anything but it would be very helpful to hear some stories and experiences. We will only go when at least one of us finds a job. But will it be too much of a struggle for the other one to find work?
Any advice is much appreciated!

You should both be able to find work here. It will probably be a little easier for your husband. Naturally, if you're both qualified in your fields it will work to your advantage.

Hi!

I have been looking everywhere but found no answers.
I am a professional, certified firefighter/rescue person interested in moving to Malta
with my spouse, who's trained in customer service.
Would anyone know about the average salary of firefighters in Malta and what
are their work schedules like? Where I come from, we work a 24H shift followed by
three days off. Any information about the administrative structure and the work life
of Maltese fire and rescue service workers will help!

Thank you! :)

Cubase wrote:

Hi!

I have been looking everywhere but found no answers.
I am a professional, certified firefighter/rescue person interested in moving to Malta
with my spouse, who's trained in customer service.
Would anyone know about the average salary of firefighters in Malta and what
are their work schedules like? Where I come from, we work a 24H shift followed by
three days off. Any information about the administrative structure and the work life
of Maltese fire and rescue service workers will help!

Thank you! :)

When we called the 'Fire Brigade' last year to a fire in the fields around our house in Gozo, 2 guys turned up wearing shorts and T shirts and proceeded to try and put the fire out with water from an old heating oil delivery tanker complete with its original hose! One dribbled water on the fire whilst the other stood nearby in the tinder dry field smoking a cigarette!
When it had died down a bit they left it to burn itself out including the trees in the gardens overhanging the wall!
I have seen a converted transit van as well!

Perhaps Malta is more organised.

Google ​The Civil Protection Department (CPD) and The Emergency Fire & Rescue Unit (EFRU).
I also witnessed similar as FOxg10ve and the tender couldn't move faster than fast walking pace.

As far as I understand EFRU is a volunteer organization. Is there really no governmental authority that regulates fire and rescue work in Malta?!  :o

Cubase wrote:

As far as I understand EFRU is a volunteer organization. Is there really no governmental authority that regulates fire and rescue work in Malta?!  :o

ha ha, sounds about right! I once saw a fire engine going round in circles, using the power of smell to find the address of the fire......I think they do more breaking into people's flats who have locked themselves out!
On a more serious note, fires are very rare here so maybe that's why it's run by volunteers?

Now I have found out that the CPD is kind of a governmental authority? Still not sure...
Does anyone know what their work schedules and wages are?

Cubase wrote:

Now I have found out that the CPD is kind of a governmental authority? Still not sure...
Does anyone know what their work schedules and wages are?

Scroll down on this link and you'll find some info http://gov.mt/en/Government/Government% … anuary.pdf

Finally what I was looking for! :) Thank you SO much! BUT! It seems that I have no chance as being fluent in Maltese is a requirement as far as I understand :( Anywhoo...

"3.1 The salary attached to the position of Assistance and
Rescue Officer is equivalent to Salary Scale 14 (which in
the year 2014 is €13,282.02 per annum rising by annual
increments of €316.83 up to a maximum of €15,183.00)."

So, are these numbers pre- or post tax? And if pre tax how should I calculate to get post tax? Maybe learning Maltese wouldn't be this hard seeing as the cost of living is roughly the same as in Estonia, no more than +5-10% but the salary, IF post tax, is almost double what I get here. And considering the minimum wage in Malta, my SO would also be earning at least 50-80% more than she's payed here.

That's the pre tax salary and it's not a good one. You can use this calculator to work out the post tax salary: https://www.konnekt.com/Salary-Calculator

I see... the net monthly comes just under 1000€
Can't believe that NOWHERE in Europe the people that risk their health and lives to safeguard the security and well-being of others are valued appropriately, just sad :/ I mean, I understand what people were saying about the quality of fire and rescue services in Malta, but I think they were still talking about the volunteers, I can't imagine professional firefighters showing up in shorts and smoking on sight while trying to distinguish a fire with a garden hose. Here, if we show up on sight missing one piece of base gear, we get fined! Training lasts a whole year and includes crawling through a collapse simulator with the mask taped shut and instructors cutting off air supply at random intervals to see how you react in stressful situations, taking of the mask in panic to breathe outside air gets you disqualified, we sit in burn simulators reaching temps of up to 600 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes to see our compressed air consumption and weather or not we would pass out... and after all this, working in similar conditions brings in just under 600 € a month net... bear in mind that the cost of living in Estonia is just 5-10% lower than in Malta.

Baah... at least the work schedule lets you get a second job without much fuss.

Well, there you go.
Never compare Malta and the way things are done here with anywhere else.  :)

our tax was 25% and we are from the uk if ur a firefighter its not worth moving there u wont get a job

Hi all!

I am currently living in Ireland with my wife and working in customer service for the German market. My wife and I were thinking of moving to a warmer place :). I have seen some job opportunities for German customer service representatives in the iGaming industry and i wanted to ask you if you know what salary does a CS agent get in Malta. My wife has English and French teaching studies. Would there be possibilities for her in this field?
Thank you!

Hi Ervin,

there are always job opportunities for German speakers in the igaming industry and also in tourism. Igaming is better paid though.

Salaries will always depend on qualifications and job description but should be in the range of 20 k /year net.

English and French teaching studies  means what ? Is she a teacher ? French is probably a no-go in Malta and working as an English teacher would probably be in the EFL trade for one of the language schools. Pay is around 10 € / hour for teaching hours only. Many schools will like to see a CELTA degree.

Working in the Maltese school system is nearly impossible for a foreigner.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky!

Thank you very much for your reply.
After I checked out the previous posts it seems to be a reasonably good salary. Or?
I would be also interested in tourism but unfortunately I have no experience so maybe Igaming would be better.
My wife was an English teacher but at the moment she is working also in customer service / retail.
We will apply for a few jobs and see what happens. As I saw in the previous posts you say that in general a couple could live on a 2000-2500 Euro salary/month with ease. Is that correct?

Thank's again for your help!

Ervin

Very comfortably !

Depending on your lifestyle even 1500,- could also be fine.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello expat friends, thank you all for these important info on a number of topics.

I'm an Italian guy applying for a night receptionist/auditor position anywhere in Malta.
Is there anyone who could provide some information about it? In particular, ideas about the salary and if it could vary according to location, besides hotel category.

Thanks in advance

drandre wrote:

Hello expat friends, thank you all for these important info on a number of topics.

I'm an Italian guy applying for a night receptionist/auditor position anywhere in Malta.
Is there anyone who could provide some information about it? In particular, ideas about the salary and if it could vary according to location, besides hotel category.

Thanks in advance

check out malta park there has been a lot of jobs on there for night receptionists/auditors the only thing i would say im finding from experience is they want you to speak Maltese as well as English and some ask for italian too so youll be ok there .
check out the specs anyway .. salaries are not that high over here though

thanks robpw2!
I'm looking all over the web for offers, nevertheless there's no quantitative info on salaries for this position, or the same with day shifts. 
Maybe someone else is directly involved in the sector and can provide more insights or opinions?

Salaries would be very very low. You would be lucky to get €5 an hour. I think that the minimum wage in Malta is about €4.50 an hour, for a job like that, you wouldn't get much more.

yeah, maybe a bit more because of night shifts...it could also depend on hotel category!
With about a monthly net of €900 I think I could stay well...no much extra, eating at home, vegetarian and local...just enjoying of Sun and all those wonderful places ;-)
Let's see how much they offer...
By the way, thanks!

Vacancies at HSBC for English speakers

there are always vacancies at HSBC  - their turnover of staff is amazing

As a member of ex pat blog for about 8 months, and having lived in Malta for 7 weeks I would like to thank all members, including Toon, Red Mick, Robpw , Ricky and others for your help from salary's , accommodation, cost of living etc.HSBC do recruit but I have heard it is horsework and as Toon says the turnover is high, so be prepared.

Can I add my two penneth for whats it's worth, applying for jobs is a strange experience and as a professional in the UK ( Social Work Manager) I found it difficult at first that my wife and my CV'S never seemed to reach the intended persons. Solution is if you can be assertive and hand the CV to a manager or if this isn't possible, ask for their phone number and ring them in a few days and ask if they are in receipt of your letter/CV.

I hope I can contribute to the forum in the coming months and offer any advice etc, concerning your e residence application, be prepared to wait in long queues and get all your paperwork together or you will be sent packing !.

All the best

Carl

Hi all.
We are considering moving to Malta. :-)

It looks like my husband gets a job easily, whereas the situation is not so clear for me. I am a lawyer with a non-EU qualification, working in a London based  investment bank at the entry level position. Speak English, Italian and Russian.
I am just wondering, what will be the monthly minimum for a couple to stay in Malta?  Will 1,000 Euro be enough (at least till I find the job here)?
If I would like to be declared as self-sufficient, what amount shall I declare in my bank account, EUR 17,000?
Do I need to transfer the funds to the Maltese bank or am I allowed to keep them in the UK bank/Italian bank?
Am I free to use the money or shall I deposit/block them?

Thank you all for your comments,
Regards,

your wealth doesnt have to be in Malta at all... as long as you can prove it thats all that is required

simply declare what is required nothing more...

once they have the required information there are no further checks made after they have issued your papers

Toon wrote:

your wealth doesnt have to be in Malta at all... as long as you can prove it thats all that is required

simply declare what is required nothing more...

once they have the required information there are no further checks made after they have issued your papers

Thank you Toon. Much appreciated.

Just be aware that if a renewal is required later you may be asked again.. i am not 100% sure but its a possibility

Hi all,

I've been going through your posts from the last 2+ years now, and always see the average salary mentioned to be about 15k EUR per year give or take.

Now I'm wondering if this is the entry level standard or the gross average throughout all levels of seniority?

And could someone indicate which salary level I'm looking at for senior management positions?

Some background information - I'm a seasoned expat, working for 12 years in banking & finance, currently running a business unit with 72 staff in Lagos, Nigeria. In total I've got work experience from 6 countries (Western Europe and Africa) and currently make ~80k EUR (gross).

But right now I feel that my time in Africa is coming to an end, dealing with all those daily operational challenges (starting from constant power outages, endless traffic jams etc. up to fraudulent staff, high staff turnovers and a low educational standard) are just getting too annoying and I would like to get back to Europe, at least for a while.

Out of the blue one of the headhunters I've been working with in the past has contacted me about a position in Malta (business development for a financial platform) without getting much into the details yet. Knowing his general approach I know that he will be asking me about my salary expectations before offering even a range from his side - what should I reasonably consider? I neither want to scare a potential employer away by aiming to high, but also don't want to sell myself under value.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!