Formalities to bring your pet in Mauritius

Still no news - Quarantine say old rules still apply; 30 days for EU and UK and 3 months for SA
Apparently they are waiting to receive all the signed relevant paperwork that states they are to decrease
the quarantine period.

Hi everyone here, i an new here and i am still thinking to move to Mauritius or not.
it seems too complecated things there!! In Uk  there is no more quarantine for dogs...why in mauritius still this?! I thought it is British way there!!
I am not going to leave my dog close in there to come if this is the only way.
My only hope that by now 2014 things are changed there...please tell me it is.
thanks

the quarantine is still active (even if much shorter than before) because they want to prevent new diseases from coming in. it's understandable, it's for the health and well-being of the Animals on the island. being such a small place if a new disease should spread there would be an epidemic....
i will bring 2 cats with me and i've been told coming from the EU the quarantine will soon be only 5 days which is really good!

Hello, how can i know for how long is the quaranine should be? Then can my dog fly in the cabine with me as she allwayes did in the past? She is never stayed alone before or with strangers.she could die in cargo by her self, or in a quarantine...

ciao Naddura, for the quarantine period you can check some official sites - which you should do anyway before moving to any country - or for example this link -> http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/mauritius.cfm

for the flying in the cabin issue, that is not up to Mauritius but to the airline. how big is your dog? if you've done it in the past i don't see the problem now.

i now the thought of putting a pet in quarantine is heartbreaking, just yesterday someone told me that 20 years ago his dog had to stay 6 months in quarantine before enetering MU. can you imagine? 6 months!?! :-( now things are much better

Thank you so much for your unswer.i would never do the change if my dog has yo pay this price.it is not a matter of live or died...
i just hoping to find a better place to live, more civile as possible. But if the animals are treated in this way even before they enter this country...i can't immagine who they will be seen after that or living there...walking in any place round tge city!!! A civel place can be seen olso in how they treat there animals.i am a vegan person becouse i have compassion for animals, i am afried in such a place they have non!!??

Nocturna are you italian too? How long have you been living in Mauritius?

yes I'm Italian :) not living there yet! Just a few more months....

you're Vegan?
hello my sister!!! :)
i'm Vegan too  :heart:

I am too, original lebanese but marred to italian since 37 years. ...allora mi sa meglio parlare in italiano qui.
vorrei un posto paradisiaco per viverci meglio delle Canarie, dove sono ora,ma ho paura per mia cagnolina ,e sembra che ce molti disaggi per trasferirci li.

Hi friend...are there many vegan in Mauritius? Is it eady to find vegan meat or food there?

I'm not sure if we're going off topic here, maybe we should open a different thread?
Anyway I know there are many vegetarians becasue of Hindu religion, and I'm already in contact with many Vegans on the island through facebook.
"Vegan Heaven" is a little restaurant that I want to visit for sure  :D

Where are you from? Is there a vegan page in fb i can go yo?

you can join this group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/383610501651116/

Hii,

I would like to get the contact details of the Mauritian Broker Henry... Please can you help me.  I am trying to bring my cat to Mauritius and  from what i have read, he helped you a lot.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

Hi, I can send you his contact tonight by PM. He helped us in the first part, with documents etc. Even though he never showed up at the airport where we were supposed to meet him (he later sent an sms to say he was too busy) and we had to take if from there. We were a bit disappointed as everybody else seemed to have met him, and also it seems he always asked to be paid only after everything was finished.... While with us, he asked to be paid even before getting on the plane to come to MU, and so we did - maybe that's why he didn't show up in the end?

Hello
I am bringing  my 2Yorkshire Terriers to Mauritius from UK. I would appreciate it if you could email me all the info you have put on this blog also the contact details for your broker. My email is [email protected]
Thank you

Hi all, Just to confirm Quarantine is definitely only 5 days for dogs coming from UK and Europe.

Now only 30 days for other parts of the world instead of 3 months.
: :):)

Hi
Quarantine from UK is only 5 days.  I'm not sure about other countries.  Also dogs have to be spayed.
Hope this helps- I'm busy sorting things for my pets.

Hi All,

I'm intending to move my cat to Mauritius next month (mid-June) and this thread is proving extremely useful, so thanks to everyone who has contributed useful information to it, especially Rosiewestie.

I note that the rules to bring a pet back into the UK are more relaxed now since Mauritius became a listed non-EU country, but I'm still not clear on the rules for taking it there as many of the gov.mu links in this thread don't work, and I just want to try and summarise what I need to do.

Pet Passport - Vaccinations/Tests
My cat (The Oracle) currently has an EU/UK Pet Passport. She was microchipped on 08/09/12 and had her rabies vaccination on 24/09/12 which is valid until 23/09/15. Does she need another one before she goes because her current one was done more than 12 months before she goes to Mauritius? And does this also need to be done more than 30 days before she goes?

And is she required to have blood tests, or is this no longer a requirement?

Import Permit
I found this MOA webpage which has a link to an application form for the import of live animals. This link works. But then there is also another link just below it for 'Import of Pets' which doesn't work. It's a little confusing - which application am I supposed to use; can I use the one that actually works?

I understand Mr Gunness was the previous contact, but it appears from the website that Dr Meenowa is the new contact, although Bebe2011 mentioned Mrs Boodoo.

Quarantine
Aside from getting the import permit, I also understand I need to organise a broker in Mauritius and Mr Sunil Hurry seems to be the recommended choice (contact details here https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#1130816).

Shipping
I found this Passport For Pets website who organises shipping of pets. I have very little time to do too much myself, so if I can offload a lot of the work to someone like this, that would be ideal for me.

I hope I've captured everything there. Is there anything I've missed, and can anyone give any advice or answer the queries I've raised above (particularly the vaccinations and blood tests questions)?

Many thanks,
Jason

Neo-UK wrote:

Hi All,

I'm intending to move my cat to Mauritius next month (mid-June) and this thread is proving extremely useful, so thanks to everyone who has contributed useful information to it, especially Rosiewestie.

I note that the rules to bring a pet back into the UK are more relaxed now since Mauritius became a listed non-EU country, but I'm still not clear on the rules for taking it there as many of the gov.mu links in this thread don't work, and I just want to try and summarise what I need to do.

Pet Passport - Vaccinations/Tests
My cat (The Oracle) currently has an EU/UK Pet Passport. She was microchipped on 08/09/12 and had her rabies vaccination on 24/09/12 which is valid until 23/09/15. Does she need another one before she goes because her current one was done more than 12 months before she goes to Mauritius? And does this also need to be done more than 30 days before she goes?

And is she required to have blood tests, or is this no longer a requirement?

Import Permit
I found this MOA webpage which has a link to an application form for the import of live animals. This link works. But then there is also another link just below it for 'Import of Pets' which doesn't work. It's a little confusing - which application am I supposed to use; can I use the one that actually works?

I understand Mr Gunness was the previous contact, but it appears from the website that Dr Meenowa is the new contact, although Bebe2011 mentioned Mrs Boodoo.

Quarantine
Aside from getting the import permit, I also understand I need to organise a broker in Mauritius and Mr Sunil Hurry seems to be the recommended choice (contact details here https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#1130816).

Shipping
I found this Passport For Pets website who organises shipping of pets. I have very little time to do too much myself, so if I can offload a lot of the work to someone like this, that would be ideal for me.

I hope I've captured everything there. Is there anything I've missed, and can anyone give any advice or answer the queries I've raised above (particularly the vaccinations and blood tests questions)?

Many thanks,
Jason

Sorry Jason, Just seen this and think you will already now be here in Mauritius? Hopefully some members will have PM'd you with the information that you require.
Good luck and welcome to Mauritius :)

Hi Jason
have you got your export licence ?

Guys I saw on this website that Pets arriving in Mauritius must do so on a direct flight. Transiting through other countries is not permitted.
- pettravel.com/immigration/mauritius.cfm
Is this information real?

Hi,
Thanks for the very useful information. Could you please let me have the details for contacting Hurry and the MAU brokerage?
Regards
Brian

Brian Pyle wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for the very useful information. Could you please let me have the details for contacting Hurry and the MAU brokerage?
Regards
Brian

Sorry Brian, I have only just seen your message.

I will PM you the contact details of Hurry.

Best wishes

Thanks, I look forward to receiving it

Hi
Mr Hurry's address is [email protected]

I sent him an email and got a reply by return.

Regards

I have already sent Hurry's contact details to Brian, Barbara by PM (Private message) as we are not supposed to put personal numbers and emails for public view

Hi everyone,

We have been doing all the necessary paper work for our dogs to arrive in Mauritius in a few weeks, and the vet services at Reduit have just told us that the importation rules have changed and that we now need to quarantine our dogs for 1 month. And that we need to redo all the rabies tests in 3 months. Which means we can't move to mauritius for another 3 months. What is going on? We already bought our plane tickets, we have a job in mauritius we need to get at and our kids need to go to go to school! Does anyone know anything ?

We already did all our paperworks and test and have paid a huge amount of money , we can't possibly have to go through all that again because the rules changes while we were in the process?  :huh:

I'd appreciate anyones input. Thanks!

Have you tried phoning them?
They usually pick up the phone in the morning hours.

+203 454 1016/17 and ask for Mrs Boodoo. She was really helpful when we brought our cat in July this year.

Good luck

Not totally because if you are coming from a country with no direct flight, they give you  up to 24 hours to transit..

I have just finished my process and I can confirm Mrs Boodoo is the contract at the ministry.  She is very promp on email replies and of course the phone is even better, however she finishes work at 4 p.m.

I know Mrs Booddoo works in the afternoon but is often not available as we we were always told to call back in the mornings, which was a bit tough being 8 hours behind. So I did not want anyone to  despair and think they were been awkward.

Hi all,

I'm Chris (British) and I'm moving to Mauritius from Dubai with my wife and two pet chihuahuas.

I hope there are people still on this thread to answer a few questions I have.  :)

1. I'm led to believe it is now just 5 days quarantine for the dogs up in Redoit, which is not too far from Port Louis. Is this correct?

NB. I paid a fortune in Dubai for the Rabies, Brucela and Ehrlichia tests £800  :o so they could get the import permit actioned from Mauritius.

2. As the dogs are coming in the cargo, the Mauritian end say I need a broker even though I'm on the same plane. Is this true?

I haven't needed any so far, but I guess they will be transported to the quarantine centre. The problem is I've been quoted $400 which by any standard is an absolute p155 take given all the expenses so far. The flight will be about £700 ish Emirates for two small dogs in their respective airline compliant containers.

3. Does anyone have an update on the visiting time for the Redoit quarantine centre?

4. Is there a bus service to the quarantine centre if you are coming from Albion? I guess the hub we would come into would be Rose Hill.

The other costs on top are apparently: -

150rps = £3 for the kennels
2673 Rps = £59 Delivery charge?!
1478 Rps = £33 Import Fee and Vet Clearance.

To help others I will also post a follow up when and if we land successfully in our new home next week.

Warm regards,

Chris x

Pm sent  - cant help out am afraid but interested in your experiences

Hi,
I really appreciate your advice.
Well am thinking of importing a puppy for me from Thailand. So I don't know about the requirements here. So I was trying to download the page u link but it's not downloading. so can I ask u about the "information required".Pls help me.

If u can help than send the info on my email address:-***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Teenagili,

Will keep this reply on here for others to benefit from.

You'll need the 3 tests completed above. I used Hurry Sunnil aswell as the importing agent here - there is no way round this if your dog comes in via cargo. He can also give you more info direct.

You'll have to check if Thailand is in the countries that have a high incidence of rabies. If so then I think the requirements may change slightly, though I don't know what to.

5 days quarantine once you land now at Reduit quarantine facility, were you can visit the dogs daily am & pm every day.

My advice, if it's your dog obviously import it, but of you just want a dog, get one here. Miles cheaper and lot's of choice, new or from a dog shelter.

Chris x

Chris I've sent you a private message - could you check please?

Dear all,
I am informed that dogs entering Mauritius must be neutered/spayed, how true is this and is there another way? Mine is 8years old and would not like him to go through it now!

Yes. As far as I'm aware all imported dogs need to be neutered. Perhaps if you were a dog breeder there may be some way around this. I've had both mine done and apparently live longer as a result x