Cost of living in Mexico – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Mexico in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Mexico you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Mexico?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

I live in Campeche which is more expensive than some other cities, yet I pay less for most things than I would in the U.S.
Rent on the surface seems about the same as we paid in the U.S., but it is for a larger place , and includes water, and internet, and pool maintenance. When we add it all up we am paying less for more.

We don't take the bus, but  have taken taxis, and can say there is no where in the U.S. that we have ever been where a taxi is only 1-3 dollars. There is also nowhere in the U.S. where you can get your car washed while you shop and it only costs 7-8 dollars including a wax now and then.

Food is cheaper, unless you only eat American style imports. We spend about 1,800 mx at the market per week for all needed items. That includes pharmacy items like hydrogen peroxide, and other non food items like paper towels. We eat out once a week at one of the better restaurants which costs under 500 mx or 25-35 U.S.  Clothes are the same or cheaper. I just bought a pair of shorts at the Gap that were about 20$. Electricity can get expensive in the hot months because of air conditioning, but ceiling fans help. A house keeper once a week costs us 16$, and she is here for 6 hours. The pool guy (yes pool) comes in once a week and he charges about 9$ which the owner pays, We restock pool supplies, and she pays for that also.

Hotels are generally cheaper even figuring in the VAT and city taxes. $ 90-100 a day often, which is much cheaper than the U.S. Many of the hotels have good to excellent restaurants that are also cheaper than the U.S. I was particularly impressed with the included breakfast at a Best Western and Holiday Inn express. Much more and much better than the U.S.

They say electronics are more expensive, but I have purchased one item from Mercado Libre ( the e-bay of Mexico) and one from Liverpool and found the prices to be the same as the U.S.

A hidden cost if you have a car is wear and tear on the car. Mexican roads can eat up tires fast at first until you adjust your driving to reflect the topies, and baches or speed bumps and potholes.That means assume they are there , look for them and dodge and slow way down for them.

This is a fair reflection on living costs in Mexico for 2015. May live in an old people home for about 16,000 pesos for two on the Chapala Ribera, may-be less if you choose a Mexican run home.,

Heinz

Could you flesh that out Heinz ?

Is that for assisted living, or a nursing home ?  what does that include ? and what if you wanted to live in Chapala but not as a patient ?  If you reread the original post it's about living in Mexico period. Assisted living and nursing home costs are good to know, but many of us are not using these services.
Thanks

I live in Jocotepec, Jalisco, Mexico, on the western end of Lake Chapala.  Rent a two-bedroom, fully furnished downstairs apartment right on the shore of the Lake.  Rent is $250US a month.  (Mexican landlord prefers US dollar amount for whatever reason.)  That includes electricity, WIFI, gardener, and city water. 

I pay for propane (cooking and hot water) and that costs me about 500 pesos every two to three months.  I buy bottled water once a week for drinking (11 pesos per garrafone).  I have a housekeeper and her son come in once a week for about three hours, which costs me 150 pesos. 

I eat out about once a week and that generally costs me about 100 pesos, tip included.  I go to the movies once or twice a month and the tickets cost on average about 30 pesos.  Big tub of popcorn with two big soft drinks cost about 75 pesos, the cost of which i share with a friend. 

I choose not to have a telephone or cable TV, but both are available here.  I have health coverage through Seguro Popular, which costs me nothing.  I have the very basic car insurance (liability) which costs me about 4500 pesos a year on a Mexican-plated vehicle.   Annual registration fee for my car is about 400 pesos a year. 

Costs in Ajijic will likely be much higher with regard to rent and costs in Chapala "proper" may or may not be, depending on where you live.   

Hope that gives you some idea of what it costs to live in Jocotepec!

I'm single, live alone.
Center city, Zacatecas
Two bedroom apartment = 3600 MXN
Gas  100 MXN/mo.
Electricity 130 MXN/mo.
Local bus 6.00 MXN
Taxi 4 mi to  bus station 60 MXN
Zacatecas to Reynosa by bus at half fare 710 MXN round trip
Cine 50 MXN
Seguro Popular Free
Landline, Internet and Dish HD = 700 MXN/mo.
Cell, pay as you go, no data, 100MXN/mo.
Price for good menu at traditional restaurant, Pozole&Beer 100-120MXN
Vips or Sanborns 150-200MXN
Upscale 200+ MXN
Cup of coffee 20-30 MXN

I eat out mostly or buy heat and serve from street vendors or convenience stores.
Average 100-140 MXN/day

Rate of exchange in above 14.40 MXN to USD

Just wondering why you chose this particular city in Mexico? 

Considering relocating to another part of Mexico just for the cultural experience.

How did you get your health insurance coverage?

Costs are definitely cheaper than in Playas  just north of Rosarito in Baja.

Thanks.

San Jose del Cabo

I live in the Los Cabos area which is very remote to the US and mainland Mexico, everything needs to be shipped that isn't locally produced.

> accommodation prices

We have some of the best hotels in Mexico here so the prices vary, you can get youth hostel prices and 5 star prices, there should be something for everyone

The busses are very inexpensive

Your food depends on how rich your diet is, there is locally grown organic produce, Costco, Walmart and other major stores to buy bulk

Depending on where you go, the prices can vary greatly.  The General Hospitals are quite affordable.  There are more Americanized that are more expensive but do accept American Health insurance.

Private school for elementary school through high school is $600 to $1000 per month

electricity depending on your neighborhood and how many a/c units you are using at one time.  The electric company is a monopoly.

Television and internet are very affordable

A good restaurant $20-$40 per person for dinner

Varies

Cheap

Xalapa, Veracruz

> accommodation prices
1 bedroom 1,200 pesos
bus 8 pesos, taxi 17 to 60 pesos to anywhere in town
1000 pesos
1000 pesos for heart doctor per visit, 2,500 peso per month for medication
n/a
electricity 125 pesos per month, gas 415 pesos for a 30 kg tank for six months
Internet and TV 750 pesos per month, cell 50 pesos per month
100 to 200 pesos per person
25 pesos for a espresso
?

I live in Ensenada, Baja California.

The only thing in the cost of living formula that is cheaper here is rent.  We pay as much or more for food, more for electronics, as much for clothing and more for gas. Ensenada just happens to have the highest gas prices in all of Mexico. I regularly compare prices because I go across the border, only 75 miles north, every few weeks in general. Even though most things are as much or more than the US, the rent and the fact we do not need to heat or cool our livng spaces...that is how perfect the weather is....I have also lived in the states of Sonora and Chihuahua and it is pretty much the same there only you do pay for heating and cooling too.

Don't think that eveyrthing is cheap in Mexico because you will be disappointed. In fact, if the rents went way up, I would move back to the US because it would be cheaper....

If they charged you $250 but converted that into pesos, then kept that amount fixed, you'd be paying less every month as the peso is devalued against the dollar....your landlord ain\t no dummy...

I want to add that you have to keep the exchange rate in mind. My landlady charged me $150 or 1800 Mxn pesos when I moved in. I have always paid in pesos and she has not requested dollars. So that 1800 pesos is now equal to $123...you have to keep the exchange rate in mind. Right now it is a windfall for Amercans but soon the Mexican economy is going to go through price inflations.

Hello:

I am planning to rent in Puerto Vallerta/Bucerias each winter from Dec.-April and wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions for renting a small 1-br or large studio not far from the ocean (as long as I can see it and it's a short walk!).   Is it possible to rent for as little as $800/mo. - utilities/internet included?   
Any advise is great.    Arlene

My, you rent quite a luxurious place down here for that much money. But of course there are all levels from quite inexpenive to expensive. I don't know anyong that pays more than $400 where I am in Ensendaa. You can set your price and you will find something. I figure that what I can rent for $450-500 in the US I can get here for $150-225 here.

Willy-
No, Puerto Vallerta is VERY touristy and I have found nothing very suitable for under $1K.   But I think there are places if I look hard.   $450-$500 in the U.S.??  Where are you from?   I guess all this depends on one's expectations and where one is from.   I pay $975 for a 1-br. Seattle.
Anyway, thank you!   Anyone else with suggestions would be most helpful.

I am simply from the US, I don't live there anymore. The rental costs down here are not comparable in any way to the US, they are radically lower. Yes, you can pay top dollar but you will get far more for it down here in Mexico than in the US. I am 75 miles south of San Diego and that is not a low rent urban area so I know. But you need to do a lot of reearch, not just armchair, but in peron to see if Mexico is a fit...

I have brought electronics and all sorts of goodies in by bus from McAllen and Laredo, TX without any trouble, even a 27" computer monitor and 6 bottles of wine.  Never been a problem.  I see Mexicans bringing in 32" flat screen TV's and other stuff.  I never hide anything.  As soon as the bus reaches the inspection point and the door opens, I tell the driver, "Tengo que pasar por migracion,"  He goes, "Permiso?"  I grunt noncommittally and proceed to return the FMM and get my passport stamped.  By the time I do that, inspection is over and no one has ever said anything.

I guess these posts have killed the survey.

rubytue60 wrote:

Willy-
No, Puerto Vallerta is VERY touristy and I have found nothing very suitable for under $1K.   But I think there are places if I look hard.   $450-$500 in the U.S.??  Where are you from?   I guess all this depends on one's expectations and where one is from.   I pay $975 for a 1-br. Seattle.
Anyway, thank you!   Anyone else with suggestions would be most helpful.

I doubt that there is any place more expensive in Washington state than Seattle. We lived there (Washington ) and in Oregon for awhile and paid what you are paying for that apartment for a 3 bdrm. condo.. I agree with will88 about the coming and looking part. Mexico is a very person to person, face to face place. To really look you need to really be here. It's sort of a bird in the hand thing. They are also not totally comfortable with electronic communication. Do you know anyone who lives there ?  Why the "very touristy" P.V. ?

We are currently paying less than you pay for your apartment for a 3 bedroom house with a pool. We came down here and looked . we were here 2 weeks before we found this place.

Hi everyone,

thanks for your participation !

Can just we please reconcentrate on the initial topic ?

Many thanks,

Julien

Thanks for the info.   We are coming mid-April and will be actively looking.

The main questions are too broad...Where in Mexico, prices of everything vary as they do in the US or elsewhere. What kind of accomodations, low or high end? You have high utility bills in some parts of the ountry and very low ones in others...you think the questions are easy and self explanatory, however, they are not unless you are more specific.
As with any other country the COL depend upon your lifestyle, budget, ect....

which city of Mexico you are living in.
Cancun

> accommodation prices
2 bedroom house (basic , nothing fancy) about $3000-$3500 pesos

The bus is between $8-$10 pesos depending on if you are going into the hotel zone

Spend about $300 a month on food, which is exactly the same as at home. Eating out here can be cheaper if you know where to go, but most of the bigger restaurants are not that much cheaper than at home (maybe 25% cheaper if lucky). The more local restaurants are about 50% cheaper than at home. Groceries are on average about the same price. Some things are cheaper, some the same, some more expensive.

Prices seem to be about 50-75% of what they are at home. I have not needed much medical attention here so I don't have a lot to go by

N/A

Internet and phone service is slightly cheaper here. I do not have tv

A good restaurant= $20 for dinner. An American chain or large Mexican chain would be closer to $30-$40

about $20 pesos most places

$45-70 pesos depending on theatre

Doctor visit- $4 for an exam, $2 for a shot...yes, that cheap. They have offices at the local Similares pharmacies.

$150 for a basic 1 bd. furn. apt. but it includes WiFi and cable, though there are only a couple of english speaking channels.

No heating or cooling here in Ensenada and utlities are cheap, about $25 month total.

Food is the same, restaurants a little cheaper.

Gas is more expensive in Mexico but I take the bus which is 70 cents.

Would someone just give me an estimate of expenses in Puerto Vallerta or Bucerias for a single occupant (not couple)?
Thanks!
Arlene

rubytue60 wrote:

Would someone just give me an estimate of expenses in Puerto Vallerta or Bucerias for a single occupant (not couple)?
Thanks!
Arlene

Try this website www.numbeo.com  after you open up the site you can type in the country and the location and see if any information comes up

People worry too much.  You know if you want to go to Mexico to live for a while, grab your necessities  and go.  There is a sense of adventure when things are truly NEW! and you in  totally unfamiliar territory.  Sure there will be some snafus but its all part of doing something different. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE! I got up one morning and thought....the rent is too high here in Newport Beach. I wonder what it is like in Mexico.  I saw on the internet that rents were really low.  I put the basic necessities in a full size car (computer, coffee maker, folding bed, folding chair, folding computer table, and a couple of beach chairs, personal gear and headed south.   I didn't speak Spanish.  Had made 3 day trips over the years to Baja last one 30 years earlier.  Didn't know anyone.   Didn't know the culture.   Didn't know anything. I got a 6 month tourist visa.   I was 75 at the time.  If "a little old lady" can do it, anyone can. I would suggest  having  at least 3K or 4K $ to get through the first month for renting and deposits, etc.  Don't sweat the small stuff...........GO!  It will be FUN!.  Figure it out as you go along.  I didn't have an escape kit (family) to come back to the states if I couldn't cope....which is really a good thiing .

Thank you for this site.   It seems accurate, except for rentals.   I don't think a 1 or 2 BR is accurate -  only $400-$600 in city center?  That is very low indeed.
Again, thanks!
Arlene

Thank you, Ann!   You are an inspiration to me ... and I"m only 61 - ha!
I only plan to live 3-4 months of the year in the PV area... so why am I worried?   But I will be on a strict budget (about $2K/month) so this is why I ask all the questions.   Thank you for your sincerity.     A.

That is great to hear. I hope to retire this year and worry I'm too old to take that leap to a new country and culture
  My dream would be able to live for say the months of January and February in mexico.  Not speaking Spanish is scary.  I like knowing what's going on around me.

Thanks that sounds pretty good to me.  How much for cable tv?

$1000 USD is doable in cities like Zacatecas that are not expat colonies.
rent              $340     Decent two bedroom apartment.
electricity        $10     a month
gas                $10     a month
city water          $6     a month
Bottled water $6     a month
food              $150     a month
Internet, phone, cable
                    $40      a month
total              $570      approx

Transportation means walking, taxi, city bus  %30-60 a month.

You can't just barely get by without Spanish, not recommended.
With Spanish, you can have a rich social life.