Opinion about Bermuda and the Bermuda Triangle from inhabitants

Hi,

I and a friend are making an investigation about the Bermuda triangle. In order to make it perfect, we need the opinion from the inhabitants of Bermuda. We chose for Bermuda because everyone is able to speak English and of course it is the main island. If you say Bermuda, you immediately think about the Bermuda Triangle. We are doing this for a school project that is very important for our exams. We hope you could help us out! :top:

So, we have some questions that we hope you could fill in for us. The questions are made for inhabitants of Bermuda or Puerto Rico (because that is also an island in the Bermuda Triangle). If you have lived there you can fill them in too.

1.    How do you think about all the stories or mysteries that exist about the Bermuda Triangle?
-    Do you believe them (or some of them) or do you think it is absolutely nonsense?
-    Does it pull many tourist (because in our picture it pulls a lot of tourists, but we are not sure about that)?

2.    How do you think about all the tourist in Bermuda (mainly in the coastal area)?
-    Do you have a positive or negative mind about them?
-    What is it (about question above)?

3.    Do you think that the Bermuda Triangle has to do something with the many investors and companies that are settled in Bermuda?
-    If you said yes, can you explain it?

If you don't know an answer to question 3, could you please let us know so we can use it for our investigation.

Thank you very much.

Verena & Cynthia from the Netherlands ;)

I think there are probably logical explanations for most of the odd events.  They certainly do not put off me or my family from flying or boating in the area. They don't have an effect on daily life on the island. Tourists do not seem to come to the island because of the triangle myths.  More likely they come for the pink sandy beaches and good weather.  There are no island tourist venues focussed on the Bermuda triangle.

Most of Bermuda is coastal, tourists do not worry about the possible dangers of being in the Bermuda Triangle. It doesn't crop up as a problem.

The businesses come here because of the tax situation, nothing to do with the triangle myths.

Hello verenaaaxx and welcome to Expat.com

I suggest you to drop an advert in our Looking for testimonies in Bermuda so as to better spread the word.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hullo Verena and Cynthia!  I read about your project in one of the papers and I have fond memories of the Netherlands (I lived in Leiden for a semester).  Holland is a wonderful place and I hope to revisit it one day.

Here is my take on it, as an Americam ex-pat living in Bermuda for 5 years.

1.  These days, i think most people have explained away the historical mysteries of the Triangle based on poor radio communications that existed at the time as well as the very dangerous coral reef formations that exist around the island.  That said, my internet connection is always a disaster here.  Coincidence?  I'm kidding, by the way.

2.  What do we think about all the tourists, particularly in the coastal regions?  We love them!  Tourism remains one of the pillars of the Bermudian economy, although it contributes significantly less than international business and insurance/reinsurance.  Tourists do generally prefer the "coast" (which I assume you mean beaches) but since the island itself is only two miles at its widest point, coastal area encompasses significant footage. 

The best beaches can be debated, but most tourists flock to the ones on the South shore.  You may have seen pictures of Horseshoe Bay beach, which regularly ranks as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  Warwick Long Bay and Elbow Beach are also popular public beaches.  Everyone has their favorite! 

Negative opinion on tourists?  For me personally, I have none. But then again, i am just a temporary reisdent of the lovely island and I wish the best for all who choose to visit this place.  Some people believe that there are calibers of tourists, some of whom add more value to the economy (those who stay at the hotels, for example, rather than just cruise ship passengers who only pop in for a day or so.). Hotel guests typically generate more revenue, as they fly in, stay at a hotel, spend money at restaurants and excursions, etc.  i dont think it should matter, really.  Most people here are very welcoming to tourists, and we all want to showcase the best the island can offer.

3.  Businesses invest here because of favorable tax advantages.  Thats it.  It's about incorporating strategically and drawing in a pool of labor where the quality of life outweighs the negative factors.

Good luck with your project!

S. Trimarchi