Single Girl moving to PR...

Hi Forum,
I'm a single female thinking about moving to PR. I am very travel savvy and have been to PR twice, once by myself and once with family member. I am looking to move to fajardo or Guaymado. Looking for job in San Juan. Medical Research Nurse. Any advise would be great, my friends think I'm crazy and my friends from PR who live in the states think Im even crazier!!...I just love the island live and still want to be within the US.
Thanks for all your input much appreciated.
Michelle

As a local I can't give you an expat perspective, but I can give you some general info that you might find useful.

1. The distance between Fajardo and San Juan is significant and traffic in the island is just what you would expect from a place with such a high population density and with such a bad public transportation system. A daily commute between Fajardo and San Juan is doable, but you couldn't pay me enough to do it.

2. Life in Puerto Rico is about as expensive as life in some states of the USA but the salaries are much lower and the good jobs are difficult to get. Expect to be poorer than you are now. Try to think about how poverty will affect you, how it affects society, and how that society will affect you.

3. Finding a customer facing job in Puerto Rico without mastering the Spanish language will be as difficult as finding a job in the States without speaking English.

I like your enthusiasm. If you're feeling adventurous and have enough money to last you a few months then Puerto Rico is a good option. But if you come to the island expecting an easy life then chances are that you will be disappointed.

Thanks Aldof,
Yes, I have some money saved to get me through a little while and I am starting spanish classes this week here in the states, so I will be ready and hopefully fluent in spanish. I know from what I've read that to get a job or a good job you need to be bilingual so I am starting the process before I come so I will be armed and ready, I have lived on islands before and the "poverty" level does not affect me, I am just a easy going person no ties here where I'm at and am looking for a new adventure, but I will make sure I am well equipped and ready for the move, my estimated process time is a year and that will give me time to learn spanish, sell my home here, and make arrangements to come to PR to live like a local a few times before I make the move. I am trying to be smart about this and trying to have all my ducks in a row. Thanks for the advise.
Michelle

Actually since most people here speak such poor english, target resorts and tourist areas where they need medical help in english.  It's absurd that the politiciansname use english as a political tool instead of encouraging the bilingual aspect of the island to attract business and tourism.

Adolfo gives good advice, as usual. Even with Route 66 extending to Luquillo, the commute to San Juan would be murder. It sucks commuting from Rio Grande, which is much closer than Fajardo. Gas would also cost you a fortune.

Just curious, but what do you mean by a good job in Puerto Rico? Or shall I say, what are your expectations of what a good job is in Puerto Rico?

As a nurse, I think working at the VA medical center would be a good job. Try usajobs to see if they have any openings. There's little chance you'd get a job there though, especially as a non-Puerto Rican. Bilingualism is probably required anyway. But it doesn't hurt to check.

Hello,

Definitely check out the usajobs website.  They tend to have a need for medical professionals & Spanish is not a requirement, but that doesn't mean you should slack off learning Spanish ;).

I have a friend who owns a restaurant in Old San Juan & he commutes everyday from Fajardo.  He tells me it takes about an hour or less...but only during certain times of the day.  Actually, my BF & I just came back from Fajardo today & it took about 45 min from San Juan.  I personally dont know Fajardo that well, but can ask my friend & others about the place if you like. 

I moved here from Ohio about 4 months ago & am enjoying my stay so far.  Yes, I had my ups & downs with the island, but that wil be with any new place.  So if you have any other questions, feel free to email me anytime & good luck with your possible move!

Angie
[email protected]

Hi blondechel!!

well, my advice is to take the negative comments on this forum with a grain of salt. I cant figure out why so many mainland-ers on this forum have only negative comments on the island? Hopefully they will read my posts and maybe they should change their chosen situations. They simply are not the case for my fiance and I nor all of our "expat" friends that live here in San Juan or cross island for that matter. Not a one has these "bad experiences", so let me give you the positive reality of your choice.

1) depending on where you are moving from in the states, the cost of living here is significantly lower than on the mainland. Most places (like central US) are comparable at the most.

2) Quality of life standards are much better here for your dollar with the benefit of living on a tropical island in the Caribbean that has all the goodies and benefits of being a US common wealth.

3) I live with my fiance in condado central and pay less than $1000 a month rent, off ashford avenue, on the beach, in an amazing building/fabulous one bedroom newly renovated apartment. I suggest condado living if you are looking to work in San Juan.

4) The medical community is always hiring (In San Juan) bilingual medical staff as beginning in early 2011 the Island is at the precipice of a huge economic Up swing that is steadily progressing with Large corporations buying property and taking advantage of all new tax incentives/ credits by Fed Gov and local gov. Majority of the companies are US based and several new International companies as well. Thus, the recent influx of English speaking residents moving here. (by the way, unemployment is down 3% here since 2010 and our debt has been reduced 80% in the last 2 years alone, with an inclusion of 200k new jobs at the end of the 2011 cycle! Check Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Caribbean News, Standard and Poor, etc, articles for confirmation)
Bi-lingual is always a plus since a large portion of the island is still transitioning to learning English as a second language.
10 years ago, you would have found it extremely hard to speak to locals in English, or find those that knew it as a second language. That is not the case at all now. Very interesting.

5) If you live and work in San Juan (depending on your proximity) you might not need a vehicle for the first several months while you are getting situated. All depends. ( WE didn't have a vehicle for 6 months and were absolutely fine-we rode our bikes or walked everywhere.)

6) You will find that the communities will assimilate you very quickly. Think 1950's US kind of hospitality. Everyone smiles at you, waves, strikes up a conversation.

All in all, life here is magical. It is easy to get caught up in the false reality of negativity in the world, or you can choose to accept the positive confirmation that your life is your destiny and your destiny is your perception of reality.

If you need any suggestions or want to talk about anything send me an email and I can help fill you in!

Congratulations on your choice to move here! You should be proud!!

Hello Carribean,
Thanks so much for your encouragement, yes there were Alot of negative responses, but I do take them with a grain of salt. Like I said I am trying to have all my ducks in a row, taking spanish now so I hopefully will be fluent before I move there, also I am going to plan a trip to stay and live like a local before moving, maybe a room in a house rental and live as the locals do to get a sense of feel of the island, I do have 1 friend who lives there so he will be able to take me around to get acquainted with the island, I will be moving from Florida, so I think the expense will be a little less than here. I am a avid bike rider so biking is no problem with me or I will just buy a inexpensive "dinger" car. I have tried to think this out thoroughly since I will be selling my home, my car and storage my belongings, I don't think shipping anything would be worth it, except all clothes and shoes. This will be a process and not an over the night decision, it will take steps for me to complete but I think I'm on the right track. The only reason I was thinking about Fajardo for living is because San Juan would be my place of work, unless I can find something elsewhere, I am not set to living at any particular part of the island, what areas do you suggest? I would rather have a home and not an apartment or condo but I could change my mind, looking at what I've seen online home wise. Thanks for your input.
Michelle

Nothing to fear but fear itself. I found a job in 3 weeks because I'm a professional and it sounds like you are too.  I'm glad that you have an adventurous spirit.  Good luck in our beautiful island!

If I were you, blondchel, I would take whatever CarribeanLifestyle says with a grain of salt. From her profile: "Having a strong background in Real Estate[...] I now run a fantastic niche finding rentals and homes for ex-pats. [...] [M]y real estate expertise proves invaluable in finding the right lifestyle homes/ rentals on the island."

She is obviously using this site to advertise her real estate business. Which is fine for all I care, but that's not justification to malign the judgments of other commentators in this forum.

Naturally, blondchel, you need to decide for yourself what is right for you. I would always encourage someone to live overseas. I've lived overseas most of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way, even when there are a lot of negatives about certain places.

I think most of the commentators on this site who have a lot of experience with living in PR are genuinely trying to answer questions to the best of their knowledge and experience. Just because I have reported many negative aspects to living in PR, doesn't mean I believe it is never worth it to take a chance on PR.

That said, when someone posts a question about, say, the economy, crime or dealing with governmental regulation, then my honest answers would probably be negative ones, especially when the question is about the economy and if the questioner is not an entrepreneur or does not have a special, valuable skill for the PR job market.

I've lived and visited many countries and I love Latin America in particular. But, as any Puerto Rican will tell you, PR has a lot of problems and it is not what many people from the mainland would imagine it to be. I can only hope that anyone who does decide to move here, does so with a full understanding of the difficulties as well as the benefits.

whoaaa nomadlaywer- slow down there :) If I were using this site to promote my real estate business then I would have my listings in classifieds :) No, I am here to give the reality of the situation to those moving to this wonderful island.
Such aggression you. Why you would single me out is kinda of funny!!
Your profile must be honest and forthright. Thus, my description of work as an expat, here on the island.
Moreover, why would you scare new people from moving here? It sounds as though you have had a horrible experience in Puerto Rico, and I am sorry you have had to experience that!! Try living in New York City. Maybe that will toughen you up :)
Cheers!

PS- negativety and anger are not the roads to success,- caring, extending a hand and helping in a positive manner are. I love sharing my beautiful experiences here on the island, and since I am half Puerto Rican, it gives me pride and honor.

I think that when people who are considering a move to PR reach out to those of us that live here a certain responsibility befalls us all. When responding we should share our own personal experiences, be honest and have tolerance for those whose experiences differ from ours. People thinking about making a move here have a right to expect views and opinions from all sides. Some of us say they have nothing but wonderful experiences. But that doesn't mean there is nothing negative to deal with here. There are a multitude of wonderful and terrible things that combine to make up Puerto Rico as a whole. Depending on one's own personal needs, financial status and tolerances, everybody's experience will differ. But my experience here is no less valid than anyone elses, and vice versa. This is a very beautiful place on earth with some very ugly aspects. Just like anywhere else you may go. I'm always leery of those who insist that there is nothing but positives about living here and you shouldn't listen to those who have anything negative to say. Ulterior motives usually come to mind. Or they are financially well off enough to not have to deal with things the average citizen has to deal with on a daily basis. Or they turn a blind eye to the litter or the dead dogs all over the roads, or the rude behavior and general bad manners of a large segment of the population. Or when the truck with the 6' speakers drives by your house all the time blasting deafening music and political announcements while the next door neighbor's kid blasts reggaeton late at night in the driveway right next to yours. Or when somebody shoots the car next to him full of holes in the middle of rush hour traffic. Those are just a very few of the realities of living here. Don't let people tell you to turn a blind eye to them like they do. They are real and they exist and you will experience some of them and others sooner or later. That's the reality. It's just different living here. It's our responsibility to point that out.  Having said all that there are a vast number of wonderful things to experience and cherish on this island. One size does not fit all here. It's not totally wonderful and it's not totally negative. But despite what others say, sooner or later you will surely experience both. 

Gregg

Wait  a second, I didnt realize this was a conspiracy forum! Do you mean to tell me that I have " alterior motives" because I have been lucky enough to not experience any of the things you mentioned in your post? All of my friends ( maybe because they are tolerant of cultural differences) have also never experienced the things you are refrencing to either. Puerto rico is not a third world country. Although, there are areas of the island that are more secluded, not at culturalally expoanse as others. What does music blasting from a car have to do with anything? This isnt subarban middle america people. Living in new york city in the village was worse. Now, if yoy are moving to puerto rico from middle america, you are going to have a shock, but if you are moving  from any major city, this is beyond a dream.
I find it offensive that one can not fully express the possitives of living on this incredible island withought judgment. I am not too sure i like this community anymore at all. It seems very biased towards one thought patter, with no respect for the other

I think you nailed it right on the head. Your post was very well written (no spelling errors either) very thoughtful and respectful. There is a saying in spanish "No hay peor ciego que el que no quiere ver" roughly translated "The worst kind of blind person is that one that doesn't want to see". Your right about people turning a blind eye to things and that starts with the police and continues thru out the rest of society. It is indeed our responsibility to point out the good and the bad especially when it comes to the subject of crime here. Blasting any type of music into the late hours is indeed an issue since it affects ones quality of life and infringes on your right to peace and quiet not to mention that is against the law. Your post deserves the same respect as any other.Intolerance is a major characteristic of a vast number of people living here. I have had many positive experiences as well as many negative ones unfortunaly the list of negatives far outnumbers the positives.

:offtopic:

Could you please concentrate on the initial subject? And maybe give some more positive responses? ;)

blondechel wrote:

Hello Carribean,
The only reason I was thinking about Fajardo for living is because San Juan would be my place of work, unless I can find something elsewhere, I am not set to living at any particular part of the island, what areas do you suggest? I would rather have a home and not an apartment or condo but I could change my mind, looking at what I've seen online home wise. Thanks for your input.
Michelle

Thank you.

Thats a great idea! Lets get back on topic.
HomesPoint2 is a great website to check, Blondechel. You can put the neighborhood, say fajardo (or luquillo which is right next door) into a search column, your price desired and it will pull up homes and or apartments for rent. its a great little tool. Also you can look at classificadosonline.net to search :) check out mirimar and old san juan to, very boho chic :)

Christine wrote:

Could you please concentrate on the initial subject? And maybe give some more positive responses? ;)

Hi Christine (and Hi to Julien, my friend, too),

I think this was an important part of the discussion and it could absolutely help people who are considering to move to the island.

Like all over the world there are positive and negative things here on Puerto Rico. People who have been here for quite some time like Gregg, NomadLawyer, Adolfojp describe the Puerto Rico like I know it. They don't close their eyes for negative aspects.

CaribbeanLifestyle on the contrary only seems to see the positive aspects of this beautiful island.
Nothing wrong with seeing the good sides, on the contrary. Puerto Rico has a lot to offer and if you can get yourself organized with work, a nice place to live and new friends then this is a wonderful place to live.
I've been living here for more than ten years myself and I'm here to stay. I'm really happy here.

Nevertheless, there are things here that are negative and I think it is right to write about that as well. Don't close your eyes for reality.

- The economy is in a bad shape, worse than anywhere in the US.
- We have the highest murder rate of the US
- Police is incompetent and many are corrupt
- It's difficult to get a job unless you have special skills
- If you're not fluent in Spanish it's even more difficult
- Trying to get something done at a government agency takes a lot of patience
- There are lots of stray animals - you also see lots of them dead on the streets
- Traffic is bad, especially if you're commuting to San Juan in the rush hours.

Information like this is important for people who consider to move here, just as important as the nice climate, the friendly people, the great beaches etc.

If this place is to provide quality information we should allow both positive and negative aspects to be discussed...

Well said, Gary.

Thanks all for all the great blogs, and especially to Gary, I understand the lifestyle change that will have to accompany me. I have lived on an Island in the past for 5 years and yes it is a change. Like I said this will take me a year to get everything together, make sure I have enough money to live on, speak fluent in Spanish and I will go from there. I do understand all the negatives that have been posted and love to hear all the positives. I have been working towards this "mind set" for awhile now and am now ready to take the plunge, make the move, become accustomed to the culture and meet many new friends. I now live in a big city in Florida so getting 2 miles up the road takes an hour (Orlando Florida) so traffic I can deal with, regarding a job, I am a Medical Research Nurse and have a few contacts already in PR I just need to get my Spanish down so check that one off, I also understand that my rate of pay in PR will most likely be significantly less that here in Florida so I'm ready to accept that. As for the Murder and Police, well that's bad everywhere, Common Sense there and last regarding the abundance of live and dead animals....well no answer for that one. I have been to PR twice and will come a few more times before my decision is made but I think I've just about covered everything. Once again thanks for the honesty and stay abroad and open minded.
Michelle

Blondechel,

You have a great head on your shoulders!! I am sure you would be successful anywhere you move. Look forward to seeing you in the community!

Hi, Michelle. I'm living in PR since June '05. I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you may have.

I can't help with the 'job area', though. As a healthcare professional, it should not be difficult to find a position. Perhaps with the Veterans Administration.

I'm in Hatillo and loving this side of the island.

You may find this link of interest:   http://www.c9hatillodelmar.com/retire.htm

Andrew

Hi!!! IŽm peruvian... iŽm so exciting to here those coments!!! Because, had the oportunity to stay there on my last vacations. Also, I have friends who live in Cabo Rojo, this is very far away from San Juan. I love the island too!!! and IŽm planning to move the next year... IŽm accountant and licenced in bissines administration, I know that if I want to work in PR I have to take a CPA exam, but maybe I can find other job related to my administration carrier... maybe you can help me where can I find a job... thank a lot!!! :D

I can help you learn spanish. In fact I need to improve my english. Contact me.

Hello,

As I scrolled through some of the posting about good and bad things about PR, your post caught my eye.
I've been trying to learn spanish but find it difficult because I have no one to converse with on a daily basis.
Like blondechel I'm planning to move to PR to live with someone I've been seeing for a year now. It would be great to speak to him as a surprise, right now he thinks I'm not interested in knowing the language. Can we learn from each other?

I know this post is a few years old, but I'm curious to see if you ever moved to PR.

I don't think the original poster will answer. She only posted in this thread (three years ago) and never was active on the site after that.