New members of the Scotland forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all! I am currently living in Virginia Beach, VA with my husband who is stationed here. We're both from a small town in GA in the USA. He will be getting out of the military the same time that I will be graduating with my Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, and we want to begin a new life in Edinburgh. I would like to start my career there, and he wants to either go to university or find a career there as well. We are just beginning our research on taking the leap and don't know the first thing about how to go about moving, but we have about 2 years until we would move. Any advice on finding a job or taking the leap would be helpful!

Hello my name is Slavica.
I am from Macedonia but now I live in Greece.I moved here because my husband is Greek.I am beautician and he is photographer.We are looking city and country to move to live and work in.We are thinking of Glasgow,Scotland.We are used to warmer weather than there but if we get a better life I think we gonna get used to the rain and cold.I already have read a lots of blogs and sites for Glasgow life but I would like to know more especially from people who are not from Scotland and they live there,How they feel living in Glasgow,how is with the jobs and the expenses..
Thank you in advance Slavica.

Moving to Glasgow this summer, to attend UoG in fall, suspect I will be the "old lady" of the group, and hoping this is not a totally insane direction to take my life.
I am pretty settled, good job, own my house, have my dogs... but "settled" is beginning to feel like "in a deep rut".
In 2013, I visited Glasgow, did not like it the first day. I think I was just cranky from getting a car rental, getting lost between Edinburgh and Glasgow (I never take main roads if I can avoid it), and not eating all day. By the time we left, I had fallen in love with the city, the museums, the schools, the people.
So here I am, in my own mid-life crisis, and what do I decide to do? Walk away from all my security and comfort, move to a different country, and go back to school. There are days I am asking myself why I did not just get my head checked.

What I hope to find on this site are people as crazy as I feel I must be, and maybe a support system for the move. No money or physical help, but a cheering section would not go amiss!

I have a friend here who says she will keep my dogs for the year I am committed at UoG, but... I want to bring them with me. Cannot imagine not having them by my side. So I am hoping folks can point me in the right direction of where to look for affordable and nice housing. Not sure I can do a flat share, I am pretty private, like having a sanctuary at the end of the day, plus- those dogs... But also not sure I can afford my own place, and in a quiet area.

Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated! I wobble between sheer terror and impatience to get there, and encouragement on the sheer terror days would be lovely...  :D

Hi Aimee,
what part of Scotland? I do not live there (yet), but have spent time there. LOVED it!

Hi

I'm a South African woman looking at moving to Scotland. I have a lot of questions and need advice on work as well as living. I would like to make this a permanent move and I don't want to live in the city but rather in a small town as I'm looking for tranquility after a hard day at the office.I also have 2 little dogs and would love to take them with me if this is possible. I have started the process of looking for work and places to stay thus far I managed to find Argyll and Bute and have fallen in love with the scenery but I'm unsure as to what the distance is between them and the closest city. I would also have to use public transport to and from and as I'm not sure as to how to go about getting a Drivers Licence and/or if my South African License would be accepted.

I would really appreciate any assistance or advise on this matter.

Hi Jane

Trust all is well :)

Was the move from South Africa to Scotland very difficult?

I seem to be struggling with a few things, and would love it you could maybe give some advise.

Kind Regards

Hi guys.

Am a newbie to expat bloc...Originally from Zimbabwe but live in Glasgow now..Any questions you guys need to know about Scotland.Feel free to drop us a line.

Stu....

Lovrox:
Hi! You'll be so glad you made the 'move'- if its only for 1 year, you will wish you could stay longer. I've not been to Glascow but you are so close to so much beauty on that side of the country, it will be great.
I know there are new rules for bringing pets over, like they have to travel within 5 days before or after you do. A friend used Worldcare.
Have fun preparing- 
I've got a blog "DC to Deeside" about our midlife move - hubby is going back to school so he feels like the old man!

Cheers!
Mary

Hi everyone. We moved over to Glasgow from Australia about a year and a half ago with my husband's work. We have 3 daughters aged 3, 6 and 9 years. I am originally from England but lived in Aus for 16 years, now Scotland, so feeling 'nationality: confused!'
Really need to meet some women I can have coffee (or wine) with and a natter.
Also would love to meet some couples, so my husband and I can go out and have adult conversations with.
To hit the jackpot, would love to meet other families with a similar story.

Missing our friends and in need of some over here. Anyone in the same boat, please drop me a note. :)

Hello babylovesart,

I would like to invite you to create a new thread on the Networking Glasgow forum so that you can finally meet new people.

Thank you
Yuveshen

We moved here with my husband's work a year and a half ago from Perth. Finding friends is tough. If you want to catch up let me know.

Hi, My name is Fanny, I am french and freshly arrived in glasgow.

I would like to meet People and make some friends. 
As this web site was very helpfull last time I was an expat, I try it again ;)

See you around!

2 Canadians, 2 French cats, leaving Paris after 13 years, headed for Scotland. woot! very much looking forward to it. :)

Hi, i have been living in Glasgow for some years now and know the alternative scene in the city very well, which im very happy to share with people....

Hey everyone!

I'm a Canadian married to a Scottish girl with a baby on the way... and an incredible job offer to work in Edinburgh.  Due to arrive in Scotland in 4 weeks!

Hi everyone. I'm Huda from Singapore. I have been to Scotland few times and i love it there. My bf is living in Edinburgh. Can anybody advice how to do i got about moving there? What are the companies that could sponsor a work visa for me and if i decide to study can i apply directly to the Unis there where they have the courses I'm interested in?

Hi

My name is Tanya and I am currently considering a opportunity to go work in Edinburgh. I am lucky enough that my company will sponsor my VISA etc and I will be working for an auditing firm in Edinburgh.  I would like to get in contact with some other South Africans in order to hear what it is like staying in Edinburgh and also to find out about the cost of living.
My fiancé will be joining me and we would like some help finding him a job in the legal field. He is a qualified attorney in SA.

Thanks so much. Looking forward to hearing from you

Welcome to Edinburgh!

Hey  :)

I stayed in Edinburgh and Cardrona during my gap year after school. I am currently staying in Pretoria South Africa and have since gotten a degree and honours through the University of Pretoria.

I have been working in the market research industry for 2 years, but I am hoping to move to Scotland asap.

Does anyone have some advice for me, please?

Hey, I'm Stacey. New here and moving to Edinburgh in June! :)

Hi.. Im sarah
i would like to know about muslim community in glasgow n halal food.. looking forward to visit glasgow in near future..

Well i live in scotland beautiful place to be nice people.i love the mountian lakes , and the facinating history.

Hi there,

This is Lu from Sri Lanka. I am planning to move to Aberdeen in this October. Would like to meet new people and like to know about the place and of cause the job oppotunities...

Hope to get some response so that i can take the communication further..

Regards
Lu

Sarah,

You get answered..??

Which park of Scotland do you live?

Hey all

Glad to be part of this.

We had a family holiday in Dec in Scotland and fell in love. We have since then "planned" our move.

The plan is to move later in the year, Oct-Dec roundabout. So yes. Would like to chat to you guys mainly about the following :
- Job prospect (what's happening in the job market)
- Accommodation (We plan to go to Edinburgh, me, my wife, one 6 year old)
- Expats there (say Hi, we want to meet up when we arrive there)  :D

Thanks

hello, we moved a few months ago from oz, with 3 kids and a bunch of dogs, started a new business, immigration outside the rules, what a move!

we took a leap of faith and found a rental that would take dogs, but it isn't cheap. I had to get a landlord to accept us before id make the move- but they are little pugs and i only said i had one! don't forget to factor in council tax which can be expensive - also, many more flats are for rent than houses, which u may want with dogs.  perhaps not as hard to get a dog in when renting a family house, might be harder fr you, especially if you want to share.

any move can be isolating but the glasgow people are particularly friendly.

hiya, we're in barrhead and sometimes i work with my husband in city centre. he's scottish and has family here but been in oz 15 years.

is your husband happy about the move back to Scotland? 
fee

hi Tanya
sorry ive not heard anything back from my lawyer pal.  I expect just approaching law firms with your situation.
how are your plans coming along?
fee

Hi
Yes very much so.

Hello all

Welcome to New members of Scotland forum :par:

Little Reminder

This thread is solely for presentation of new members.

We encourage you browse the forum by ''Forum Categories'', found on the up right side of your screen, to gather useful info.

We have dedicated sections of the site to host adverts you may have  i.e top green banner, the jobs, accommodation and classifieds sections

Feel free to Create a New Thread to share your expat experience!

Looking forward to read you

Gavind
Expat.com Team

Hi all :)

I'm a South African looking for a permanent job offer in Scotland. I currently work in the Forex industry with 4years experience in the field. I'm a single female and have a little Yorkshire terrier that I would love to take over with me. If anyone can assist me with some info or even have a job opportunity I will be so greatful. Thank you :)

Hi all im nia . I just moved to Falkirk from Bali , Indonesia.
Im looking forward to have new friends and job opportunity so I wont feel lonely and bored in this new country.
Thanks  :)

Hi Niya..
welcome

Hi i just moved to Falkirk from Bali last week.
Looking to have some new friends here.
Cheers...

Hi,

I am Angela originally from Slovakia currently living in Edinburgh. I moved from Malta two months ago with my boyfriend who is from Barbados.
We are looking for some people to hang out with, maybe do some sports, hiking, sight-seeing, haveing coffee or whatever.
We both love cooking so might even do dinners :)

Please let me know if anything got your interest!

Cheers,
Angela

Well the muslim comunity is good.lot mosque

Closed