What was the farther place you visited within D.R. How was it?

Hi everyone!

The main objective of this question is to highlight the wonders of this beautiful Island, let others know about your experience, and what D.R. has to offer in terms of tourism attractions and many other things.

I have visited many places within the Island and I have to say it was impressive, if you have the opportunity, take the chances and explore...

For me it was the first time I drove from Puerto Plata all the way to  Punta Cana.  That was before the new highways and it was quite the trip.  I was amazed how different each area is!  Santiago is so different from Puerto Plata.  Santo Domingo is  amazing - so many people in such a small area - relatively.  Almost 1/2 the population lives in SD.

The south coast is totally different from the North coast.  AND then the east coast is like another place entirely.  It doesn't even feel Dominican.

The drive was about 9 hours back then, not counting  food stops.....LOL

Hello Planner!

Thank you for your contribution. If you ever have the chance to go to Pedernales, don't think it twice and go. It's such an amazing place, and the ride quite long but scenic and enjoyable.

I would have to say Samaná to see the whales and of course las Terrenas and Cayo Levantado was simply Amazing.......really beautiful beaches untouched by man  :cool:

For us it was also from the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete) to Punta cana. It also was before the new highways so had to drive through Santiago then Santo Domingo then on to PC.  It also took us about 8.5 hours with a stop for lunch.  Long trip but worth it. 

Bob K

The south west of the island is high on my list of places to go to. And believe it or not, I've not been to Jarabacoa yet either!!!!

I loved Samana too Massagewiz.  It is truly beautiful.

We too have not been the south west yet and it is on the bucket list for this year

Planner  you need to go to Jarabacoa.  We went last year and were so impressed.  It is like you have left the DR and gone to a different country.  The new highway to Costanza is also a beautiful ride from there

Bob Kn

Thank you! Glad you liked it! :)

Hi Planner!

The south coast is locals Favorite mostly because it's more oriented to national tourists, amazing landscapes and gorgeous beaches (nicer than Punta Cana) no mega all inclusive, just stunning.

Jarabacoa is absolutely beautiful and I need to clarify it's located in the Cordillera Central, make sure to bring a jacket with yo when you go there.

Cheers!

My plan is to go to Jarabacoa in August - when it is too hot here, I will go there where it is cooler.

Southwest - yes I so need to go there and see it firsthand. I have heard so much about it and seen pictures. Its on the list!!!!

Who wants to come????   :D

I visited like 80 % of the country (all except La Romana, Monte Plata and San Pedro de), drove here 15,000 KM on my bike...And my favorite places are: Barahona province, Las Terrenas and Monte Cristi
I like also Maimon (with its lake), dominican mountains...and typical dominican towns like Azua, san juan de la maguana etc.

if you are here for the first time just explore, later you may stay in one favorite place and dont care about rest ;-)

thats my advice.