Unlocking iPhone on Vodafone UK...Help please!!

Right I'm going to go crazy soon... it seems as if it is impossible to unlock my phone without paying a  ridiculous amount of money!

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to get there own phone unlocked out here somewhere? I can't get it unlocked through Vodafone because my contract hasn't ended!

Any help will be really appreciated!!

I had bought an unlock code off ebay for my Android phone. Cost something like €15. Not sure if you can do the same for an iPhone.

Rather than a full unlock... you may wish to jailbreak it! This can be done with much less hassle than attempting to unlock an iPhone but still allows you to use an alternative carriers sim... what model iPhone is it?

Need to know what the model is, the OS version (i.e. 5.1.1) and then should be able to let you know what can be done.

Jailbreaking doesn't unlock the phone, unlocking for another network is a bit different to jailbreaking, jailbreaking opens the phone up to allow you to actually look into the system of the phone, allow you to run the cydia application that has homebrew apps and of course it can also allow you to do other things.

I unlocked my Iphone 3GS very simply and with essentially no cost (Did it myself) and have also just done the same with my Ipad 3.

Pm me the details and I will take a look at whether you can unlock and the easiest way for you to do it... might be able todo a teamviewer and sort it out for you.

Julian

Hi Julian,

what seems like such a long time ago now, when we arrived in Malta, we had locked iPhone 3G's (to the telefonica network) but they had been jailbroken (by a certain person still resident in Malta... no names. no pack drill and all that!)

anyhow, all the time I was on the Island, I used both GO and vodafone payg sims with no problems at all and indeed when I came back to the UK, talktalk, Virgin and 3 sims all worked no probs

Just got to remember not to let sneaky apple undertake an automatic OS upgrade!!!

Subsequently upgraded 8 months ago to a 4s ... and would be totally lost without it...

a 5... mmmm!... think I'll wait a bit on that one...

Hiya Mike... it certainly is...

depended on the software at the time, there used to be a full JB that you could do a complete unlock and jailbreak in one... unfortunatley that all depends on the baseband and the software now.

This is one of the reasons I asked about what version they are running. ;)

Bloody Auto Updates... hate them ... I just ran JB with the IPAD3 of mine and all  working great... I am still on the 3GS for now until I am forced to upgrade to a newer model... 4S looks nice and i think I will go for that rather than the 5 ... (easier JB stuff lol)

When are you back for a beer ??

Julian

Thanks guys! Yeah I really don't want to jailbreak my phone as I've heard it just causes more problems in the long run! I've got an iPhone 4 and it's running the iOS 5.1.1, thanks Julian do you need my IMEI number?

Zoe :)

Hiya Zoe,

now dont need to have your Imei, Let me take a look at the details today and I will come back to you, your in sweiqi right ?

Also JB the phone doesnt cause any problems at all, I have had mine JB since the day after I had the phone ;) which was a while ago now ....

EDIT NOTE: I can do the phone for you no problem and it will unlock very simply.  If you want it done let me know and we can meet up somewhere, I work in St Julians during the day so we can sort it, either you can give me the phone and I will take it home and then bring it back the next day or what ever you want to do

Julian

hello! i want to know if you still unlocking phones? :)

ring vodafone uk ..they will arrange an unlock

Yeah i can understand your frustration. Im having same issue with my Samsung s4 thats on EE. Seems expensive to unlock

robpw2 wrote:

ring vodafone uk ..they will arrange an unlock

They will - sometimes.
Voda, along with other UK operators, give you a large discount on the phone when you sign a contract.
The lock is intended to keep you with them through the contract period - making sure you don't do a runner, leaving them out of pocket.
Long term customers (I did this with a phone I hated) will get the code within contract, but most will not.

There are many shops that will offer an unlock service but, if you change operator, you can find yourself will a large bill from Voda, demanding you pay the rest of the fees to the end of the contract.
They might very well take you to court, leaving your credit rating in a pickle.

If it's pay as you go, you don;t have any of those worries - just go to one of the many shops that do it.

I got mine unlocked through Vodafone I had been with them a year and it was free , before the year it woild have been £19 ... Ignore Fred he has jumped into a conversation again

robpw2 wrote:

Ignore Fred he has jumped into a conversation again

:lol::top::lol:

And this is Malta  ;)

http://m.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/help/net … /index.htm

This is the form you need to complete , for iPhones they will need to apply to Apple for the code so takes about two weeks but it will unlock automatically ,

robpw2 wrote:

http://m.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/help/network-unlock-code/index.htm

This is the form you need to complete , for iPhones they will need to apply to Apple for the code so takes about two weeks but it will unlock automatically ,

I filled the form in while on holiday in the hope that they would unlock mine, (long story but Vodafone uk told me after  i contacted them a month before going to Malta on holiday, that I could just stick in a vodafone sim when i arrived, of course it didn't work, Vodafone Malta told me also it should after selling me a sim and a 10 euro top up, then they said ohh its not unlocked so you will have to fill in the above form!!)

Its now unlocked after being back in the UK for 2 weeks, handy for next time but not sure how long the top up will last or whether it will run out, next trip probably September.

I did mine from Malta and it took about two weeks I got an email back when it had been done plugged into iTunes , got message it had been unlocked

redmik wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

And this is Malta  ;)

So sorry about posting a reply on YOUR forum.
I'm very sorry I know more than a little about dealing with Voda UK, a company I dealt with for 10 years, and so sorry I'm aware of their unlocking policy as I've done this.

My apologies for posting on a subject I'm familiar with, on YOUR forum - NOT.

Fred wrote:
redmik wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

And this is Malta  ;)

So sorry about posting a reply on YOUR forum.
I'm very sorry I know more than a little about dealing with Voda UK, a company I dealt with for 10 years, and so sorry I'm aware of their unlocking policy as I've done this.

My apologies for posting on a subject I'm familiar with, on YOUR forum - NOT.

To get your unlock code, simply fill out this form and click on submit at the bottom. We'll aim to get back to you within 48 hours. If we need to get in touch with your phone's manufacturer, it may take about 7-10 days.

If your device is blacklisted, we won't be able to send you an unlock code.

Pay as you go customer? You'll pay £19.99. Before you fill out this form make sure you have enough credit so we can take the payment.
    Pay monthly customer? You'll pay £19.99 if you've had your plan for less than a year.
    Small business customer? You'll pay £19.99 - or it's free once your plan ends.

Going abroad? You don't have to get your phone unlocked - pack your price plan in your suitcase because you can take it with you.

you may feel your familiar with the policy but you clearly have not read the above information provided by vodafone on the link i have provided.

Paying a contract and getting your phone unlocked to use on another network are completely separate issues.
many people choose to unlock thier phone and use a pay and go sim for when their contracted minuites and texts run out  , vodafone will not end your contract early because you have had phone unlocked.

Thank you for your input though, glad i could update your knowledge on Vodafone latest policy on UNLOCKING your phone  , if i can help you with anything else then please feel free to ask ..

It would seem you have been dealing with the wrong company Fred -  Voda UK = Voluntary Organisations Development Agency.
The mobile telecoms company is 'Vodafone UK' based in Newbury!!!

:whistle:

F0xgl0ve wrote:

It would seem you have been dealing with the wrong company Fred -  Voda UK = Voluntary Organisations Development Agency.
The mobile telecoms company is 'Vodafone UK' based in Newbury!!!

:whistle:

I'm so sorry, I'll pick up your rattle and pop it back into your pram.
I mentioned contracts, and problems with cancellation, but you seemed to have missed this in your rush to keep Malta's forum free of posters from outside.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cancel-account/

How to cancel your Pay monthly agreement

Just to let you know

If you're not at the end of your agreement yet (you can find out here), you'll need to pay an early exit fee.

If the phone is in contract - you will have to pay more than the fee you mentioned.
There are also many examples of refusal by Voda to unlock phones for a wide variety of reasons.
What was that about the Voluntary Organisations Development Agency?

My post stands.

Oh, unlocking and contracts are only a separate issue if you intend to finish the contract.
If someone on contract leaves the UK, that is the same issue as they either have to pay a fee or break their contract.
The latter could easily lead to a damaged credit rating, and very possible court action if they catch up with you.
Quoting the unlocking cost only is wrong as it isn't the only cost in such a case.
As I said, if it's PAYG or out of contract, no worries.

Fred wrote:

Oh, unlocking and contracts are only a separate issue if you intend to finish the contract.
If someone on contract leaves the UK, that is the same issue as they either have to pay a fee or break their contract.
The latter could easily lead to a damaged credit rating, and very possible court action if they catch up with you.
Quoting the unlocking cost only is wrong as it isn't the only cost in such a case.
As I said, if it's PAYG or out of contract, no worries.

you assume that they intend to break the contract....
you  only pay an early fee if your not intending to complete the contract ...

all he needs to do is fill in form unlock phone pop in new simcard no one will be concerned where he is using phone and vodafone bill can be paid as normal ...
if he doesnt pay the bill that is of no concern of ours and that is up to him if he intends to stay in malta then he may decide not too   

to unlock your phone in year 1 is 19.99 in year 2 its free ... simple as that Fred your complicating issues and trying to derail what is a simple question and a simple answer ....

https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php … mp;lang=en

Currently living in Malta, Swatar
I come from England

I can't get it unlocked through Vodafone because my contract hasn't ended!

From England, has a Voda UK contract, can't get an unlock code.

This is really easy, not complicating anything as the OP has left the UK with an unfinished contract.
The issued raised are relevant, even if you don't think so.

Should I make the quoted text a little larger?

The OP also mentioned a "ridiculous amount of money", probably the unlock fee plus contract break fee.

This link may be of some help to you.

Fred wrote:

The OP also mentioned a "ridiculous amount of money", probably the unlock fee plus contract break fee.

This link may be of some help to you.

Perhaps you should read .... shes in Malta she asked the Malta forum a question and i have provided her with the details to go back to Vodafone with ...

I am quite capable of reading thank you very much , i have provided the person concerned with the facts she can go back to Vodafone UK with those facts and request an unlock and if they try to say she needs to pay more than £20 in year one or the free unlock in year two she can go to OFCOM and report them for false representation .

She may not have been aware that Vodafone allow you to unlock the phone during your contract but at least now she can be sure.

I really do not see as your being helpful in anyway , apart from insulting me and claiming to know everything about Vodafone UK when clearly you don't.

UNLOCKING YOUR PHONE does not in any way affect your contract , it is your LEGAL right to request to have the phone unlocked, and phone companies offer this service accordingly .

If you don't pay your contract that really is another kettle of fish and apart from the ruined credit status in the UK really is not going to affect you living in Malta unless of course you intend to return to the uk in the next 6 years after that any debts would be statue barred and thus unenforceable by the courts ... there may be a moral reason to pay but that is for the op to decide and NOT YOU FRED .

I can't get it unlocked through Vodafone because my contract hasn't ended

She may not have been aware that Vodafone allow you to unlock the phone during your contract but at least now she can be sure.

She's already told us they've refused, possibly because she's abroad and Voda are concerned about the contract, unless she pays "a ridiculous amount of money".
If Voda will unlock any contract phone for the fees mentioned, why would they quote her more?
Maybe because she's moved abroad within contract, and Voda are trying to keep leverage so they don't lose out.
The moral aspects are nothing to do with anything - they want their cash.

Muddying the waters with rubbish won't change the facts, and won't change Voda's wish to get their cash.
There is no talk of using a PAYG SIM when minutes have run out, only a locked, in contract phone that's been taken out of the UK, now intended for use on a foreign system.

Again, we have no idea if she's still paying the legally binding contract, been late with a couple of payments, or just has no money left in the UK bank to pay with.
Even late payments could affect her status, and Voda's willingness to unlock.
As a note, late payments are a breach of contract, so any rights regarding unlocking may well change.

We only know a few things, but enough to know this isn't as simple as some are making it sound.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-mont … -p/1688538

If you are ending your contract early, you'll need to pay all line rental charges until the end of your contract

There's no way they'll unlock if they know she's abroad and there's any indication she'll terminate her contract without fulfilling its terms, or has given them any reason to be concerned, such as late payments.

Has anybody mentioned Fred, it's Vodafone UK! - parent company - Vodafone Group Plc!

It's not Voda UK!

No wonder your sheep is jumping up and down. :dumbom:

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Has anybody mentioned Fred, it's Vodafone UK! - parent company - Vodafone Group Plc!

It's not Voda UK!

No wonder your sheep is jumping up and down. :dumbom:

Thread title

Unlocking iPhone on Vodafone UK...Help please!!

I think it was mentioned.

As with many words, "Vodafone UK" is commonly cut a little, to "Voda" in this case - saves all the typing.
The full name, when used in thread about Vodafone UK, keeps pedants happy, but is otherwise a waste of time.
Perhaps you'd like to have a moan at Voda for using an F, when they should use "Ph".

My god - get real.

The facts are simple:
An in contract phone users has left the country, and wants to unlock her phone.
Voda (Sorry, Vodafone UK) don't want to do so unless she pays a large sum of money.

Drrr - Of course they don't want to.
They discount the phones to get the contract so, if they allow a user to unlock in circumstances such as these, they're worried the user won't pay up.
I'm not saying she'll break her contract, but Voda might very well be concerned.

I'm shocked people are being so pedantic, and so fixed on using part of an issue to explain the whole issue - even when they're wrong - and they are wrong.

I would say there was an elephant in the room, but I'm sarcastic, so I'll say there's a hippo.
Sorry, hippopotamus.

Fred ,,,,i have tried to be nice but you really are just spouting crap now ... will you please go and find something else to do ...
you are WRONG ...i left the UK and I unlocked my phone whilst in MALTA in AUGUST LAST YEAR , it is very simple and they do not ask any questions

the only hippotomous in the room is you and you wont take the hint and leave ....

A friend came to visit a couple of weeks ago, had the same issue, visit to the Vodaphone shop, on Gozo; unlocked it. For free too!!! Took 24hrs.
Could always try the Vodaphone shop at the airport.

Rob, just ignore the person who has no experience or knowledge of Malta and is obviously looking for company and attention on the internet.

Fred wrote:

I'm shocked people are being so pedantic, and so fixed on using part of an issue to explain the whole issue - even when they're wrong - and they are wrong.

Me too  ;):lol:  Pot, black etc............................

redmik wrote:

Rob, just ignore the person who has no experience or knowledge of Malta and is obviously looking for company and attention on the internet.

The issue is a Voda contract in THE UK.

Yes, as I said, many shops can and will unlock it - but that can also lead to problems.
I apologise for posting on your forum  - NOT.

robpw2 wrote:

Fred ,,,,i have tried to be nice but you really are just spouting crap now ... will you please go and find something else to do ...
you are WRONG ...i left the UK and I unlocked my phone whilst in MALTA in AUGUST LAST YEAR , it is very simple and they do not ask any questions

the only hippotomous in the room is you and you wont take the hint and leave ....

I didn't say it was impossible.
If you need to make things up to prove your point, I suspect your point is rubbish.
Try finding out if the 22 year old Dominoes pizza person (who worked there for just a few months after a spell unemployed) concerned had "been late with a couple of phone bills" and in march f that year had a mobile cut off, then consider if Voda would treat that person differently to someone who was long term and always paid up on time.
I also mentioned I managed an easy unlock, but not everyone can.

The advice here suggests anyone, regardless of situation get get an unlock from voda with ease - this is not true, as the OP has already said.
Suggesting otherwise is both misleading, and just plain wrong.

However, as the thread is so old, I'm sure the phone has already been tossed in the bin - probably still locked.

They probably couldn't get an answer from 'Voda UK'

F0xgl0ve wrote:

See my earlier answer,..and the links posted.

Silly post, but not alone on this thread.

No one except me bothered to look at the reasons there wasn't going to be an unlock, just spouted pointless rubbish about general unlocking.
Yes, all that is true when it comes to people Voda (Sorry, pedants, Vodafone UK) trust, but NOT to every subscriber, especially if they're young, have a 4 month work history (in a low paid job at a pizza place) after a period of unemployment, have already had a phone cut off, been late with bills and skipped the country.
Not happening, but no one bothered to find out, preferring to tell half a story, insisting it applied to all.
IT DOES NOT.
No one bothered checking - except me.

Fred wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

See my earlier answer,..and the links posted.

Silly post, but not alone on this thread.

No one except me bothered to look at the reasons there wasn't going to be an unlock, just spouted pointless rubbish about general unlocking.
Yes, all that is true when it comes to people Voda (Sorry, pedants, Vodafone UK) trust, but NOT to every subscriber, especially if they're young, have a 4 month work history (in a low paid job at a pizza place) after a period of unemployment, have already had a phone cut off, been late with bills and skipped the country.
Not happening, but no one bothered to find out, preferring to tell half a story, insisting it applied to all.
IT DOES NOT.
No one bothered checking - except me.

What are you talking about???!!! Rob has already given the correct information. After 3 months of contract with Vodafone UK, ANYONE can get their phone unlocked for a charge of 19.99 in the first year. There are NO clauses of late payments/socioeconomic status.
If you 'bothered' to check, please quote your references with a link.

coxf0001 wrote:

What are you talking about???!!! Rob has already given the correct information. After 3 months of contract with Vodafone UK, ANYONE can get their phone unlocked for a charge of 19.99 in the first year. There are NO clauses of late payments/socioeconomic status.
If you 'bothered' to check, please quote your references with a link.

Not anyone, absolutely not people who have broken their contract, or for a number of other reasons.
If you think they can. consider why the OP can't.

Bought from ebay - won't unlock