Salary of R750000 Gross per Anum is ok in Johannesburg ?

i'm offered a salary of R 750000 Gross per Anum pre-tax, which comes monthly R 62500 pre-tax .
is this  ok in Johannesburg ? can i lead a decent life there.

I'm single and live moderately. will i be able to save anything ?

Thanks,

Appreciate your help !!

@Chinnu_11

I suggest that whilst waiting for replies you first read through the many informative posts on the forum for information. You need to Google search for information regarding how much tax you will have to pay 
For cost of living www.numeo.com

Hey there,  I would ignore numbeo as I didn't really find it helpful in my experience living in joburg.

First off, I was making about the same salary as you and living in Sandton cbd. I lived in a  furnished one bedroom for about 15000r which was about average for that area of the city. Most native south Africans might hear this and think I'm crazy, or just a rich expat. Thing is, 750k is WAY above the median salary of sa but it is not that farfetched in the finance space of Sandton. Cars are expensive, and inflation is very high in sa.

Regardless, with 750k you'll live a very good lifestyle, although you'll quickly learn if you're living in Sandton, that income doesn't take you all that far even though you're probably in the 90th percentile of incomes.

I wrote about the cost of living on my blog, johnnyafrica.com, so feel free to take a look at all my monthly expenses! Thanks and enjoy sa!

Its a very nice salary. You would get a really good life.

You will live comfortably in the immediate vicinity of Jhb. If you care to live a litle further out ( Edenvale or Midrand) you will live far more comfortably.

Thank you, I negotiated a bit and raised it to R800000 Gross per Anum( which includes accommodation,car, medical insurance taken care by my employer and they will deduct somewhere around 11500/- per month for this post subsidizing ) . remaining will be the take home. not sure how much tax will be deducted further on that.

Overall, with your inputs I feel , will have decent life in Johannesburg with that:)

anything need to be taken into account before moving there ?  or any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

Dear expats/Local experts,

my offer is finalized with R800000 Gross per Anum in Johannesburg , the work location is gauteng.

( above Gross income includes company provided accommodation in sandton ,company provided car, medical insurance all together company will deduct somewhere around 11500/- per month for this post subsidizing ) . remaining  around R 55000/month pre-tax monthly take home.

So can anyone give me rough figures on the tax deductible on this amount.Also, will I be able to save average R30000/moth with this kind of salary.

I'm looking to consider this offer based on your inputs. your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chinnu_11 wrote:

Dear expats/Local experts,

my offer is finalized with R800000 Gross per Anum in Johannesburg , the work location is gauteng.

( above Gross income includes company provided accommodation in sandton ,company provided car, medical insurance all together company will deduct somewhere around 11500/- per month for this post subsidizing ) . remaining  around R 55000/month pre-tax monthly take home.

So can anyone give me rough figures on the tax deductible on this amount.Also, will I be able to save average R30000/moth with this kind of salary.

I'm looking to consider this offer based on your inputs. your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Your tax rate may be be very high. A quick Google search shows 18% if below 160,000 rand, if above 600,000 rand then 40% ..... :(

40% its so high....

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : off topic + do not post your personal contact details on the forum

Can any one suggest me living cost in Johannesburg and what would be the average salary required for the family.

As the other poster says above, Numbeo is not at all accurate.

Living in Sandton, you will be able to get by on R800k, but you will have to be very frugal in order to save any of it. While that is a bigger salary than many locals earn, it is quite average/below average for Sandton.