Register your Autoexpreso sticker before Jun 19 2015!

Registration of your Autoexpreso sticker is now obligatory and has to be done before Jan. 18 2015.
[EDIT] the deadline was extended to June 19, 2015.

You can do it online at www.autoexpreso.com or in person at one of the DTOP/CESCO offices.

Failing to register can get you a hundred dollar fine.

[EDIT] You can register more than one car in the same account and share the balance between those cars.

Is that for the tollway, Gary?

Schuttzie wrote:

Is that for the tollway, Gary?

Yes. You have to buy a sticker and deposit some money in your account if you want to use the tollways. It's not possible anymore to pay cash for one pass, the sticker is obligatory.
This new rule couples the sticker (which actually is a transponder which is automatically read every time you pass a toll port)  in their administration to your name, email, payment info, car license etc.

Thanks, Gary, I thought that might be what it is.  We use an I-Pass here in Illinois and sounds like it is set up very similar.  But it isn't required to have one.

Thank you for reminding us. I had to register mine.

This is probably a good thing that is now mandatory, I would think.

I guess too many people used tollways without paying. A transponder that was bought and paid for in cash cannot be traced back to anybody.

Still, how are they going to catch people who don't register and who don't pay? They may end up having to install tons of cameras. (and raise the toll to pay for it..)

Oh, I hadn't thought of that.  Hmmmm.

Gary,
What do you mean register? I have an account online and add more to it when necessary. Am I not registered or do I have to do something else before January?

If you have an online account you're registered so you're OK. :)

When they started this thing one could buy a sticker and use it without and online account. Also when one bought a car with a sticker and added money at the toll stations they were not registered.

I thought the flash seen by every passing vehicle, is a camera, taking pictures of the vehicle's license plate... which would be traceable by DTOP.

Yeah that could be but why would they photograph every car? And how do they know which car had no valid sticker?

Anyway, I hope everybody who read this thread has her/his car(s) registered by now. :D

The transponder gets the info (and payment, if there are funds), and the camera gets the license plate, (so they know the registration info, associated with the transponder). It does not surprise me that they change the rules, without notification.

Here's an overview of the fines you get when you get a red light in a toll port and don't fill up your account within 48 hours: http://caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/new … 94751.html

...and while we're at it, here's some other (older, Oct.)  news about cameras used to catch traffic violations: http://www.caribbeanbusiness.pr/news/pr … 01105.html

Slightly off-topic: If you're on the road in PR on a regular basis you wouldn't believe it but according to this site we have something called "Intelligent transport systems", a traffic control system.
On this site: http://its.dtop.gov.pr/en/ you can read about it and see almost live snapshots from traffic cams in the San Juan area and in the Nord-West. (in English!)

The powers that be (DTOP) have extended this autoexpreso registration requirement deadline to June 19th. Only 120,000 of the million+ account holders have registered so far. (Jan 7 print edition of San Juan Daily Star, p.5; http://www.sanjuanweeklypr.com/pdf/edic … n-7-15.pdf).

Thanks for posting that!

Somehow I'm not surprised that this is happening. :)

The website says you have until June 19, 2015.

Yeah, that's what vkbudd posted, yesterday :D

I've registered but can't find on site to add a credit card for auto refill. We are currently visiting San Juan and need to gill it. Can this be done any place other than online, we have our computer with us any help in adding a credit card?

When I go on the Autoexpreso website, and click on "Mi Cuenta", there's a button at the top (about 4 from the left) that says "recarga cuenta". That brings me to a page where I can enter payment info for my account. I already have a registered account with auto-refill with a credit card. I don't know if that makes a difference as to what I see online.

Also, there are lanes at some of the toll plazas marked with a large R. Those are open all the time (I think) and you can replenish your account there without getting out of your car, with cash, debit or credit cards. Sorry, I couldn't find a list of exactly which plazas have the R lanes.

Lastly, Auto Expreso has an office in Metro Park in Guaynabo, but of course they don't have Sunday hours. It's off Rte. 165, near the FedEx center and Ft. Buchanan area.

Hope this helps,
Ginny

Hi, I think you can add $ to your auto express credit card account at the toll booth...right lane. I am going to add funds to my account online shortly www.autoexpreso.com if successful I will let you know

I add to my account at the toll booth--the far right lane and give them ten or twenty dollars.

For auto refill (that was the question, right?) go to the autoexpreso site www.autoexpreso.com

Go to Información de mi Cuenta (second tab)
Now go to Información de Abonos/Pagos.

Here's where you enter the data of your credit card and the amount that you want to add automatically when your acccount is below $5.

Hi All,

Just joined up a few days ago.. Great to be here.. Moved to Rincon last April.. about to head East though.

Thanks for the info on registering the Autoexpreso account, hadn't known about that..

Nice that you can up the card online..

I had been refilling my card at the Puma stations just shortly before I was to use the ExpressWays.. That's one alternative. Depending on the day, faster than doing it at the toll booths..

I just went to the website; it's June, not January

mac00677 wrote:

I just went to the website; it's June, not January

Yes, it was changed to June. That was also posted twice back in January in this thread.
To minimize any confusion I just changed the title of this topic..