New members of the Ethiopia forum, introduce yourself here - 1st quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ethiopia forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ethiopia if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Ethiopia forum, introduce yourself here continues below!

Hello everyone,
My name is Eric and I just moved to Addis Ababa from the US last month and thought I should just say hello. My wife is Ethiopian and we have 2 little girls that were born here in Addis Ababa. I worked several years in Iraq & Afghanistan as a logistics manager and decided to settle down in one spot for a while. Not real sure what type of project or employment I will be pursuing while here yet but I have a few idea's. I'm still trying to figure out how to get residency but I am moving in the right direction I think.

I have 29 month work experience in ethiopia and I was worked in tanzania 2010 nov to 2012 sep.live im in ethiopia.

[message moderated: no free ads on the forum please]
You can add your company in our business section

:cheers:

Wel Come to the beautiful Ethiopia. I may Help you to tour the whole Ethiopia.

wel come to the beautiful city Addis Ababa! what can I help you in Addis Ababa

Am living In Addis Ababa/Ethiopia. Musician / I play keyboard ,Guitar and studio arrangement.....MORE after.

my name is tamrat zenebe live in Ethiopia ,at dessie .I am graguate of psychology minoring foreign language and currently I am working at Amhara dev,t association yekokeb birhan for highly vulnerable program as program officer since November ,2011.from September,2004 to November,2011 as generalist at mekdim Ethiopia national association SCRHA project .

Hello, there! I am Abatkun Teshome,who lives and works in addis Ababa,Ethiopia.
At the onset, I strongly believe that I have all the necessary skills, knowledge and experience of managing(open-minded,flexible,sociable,friendly,confidential, decision maker & participatory) , co-ordinating ( team leader, active facilitator ), supervising, inspecting,mentoring (a role model for mentees,a social mediator helping mentees to acculturate, a sponsor, a supporter and an educator), monitoring and evaluating and giving feedbacks to educational organizations.

Next, the training courses which I have taken so far have played pivotal roles in deveioping my professional carrier in particular and in fostering the countries socio-cultural, economical and political developments.

Then, as an English language teacher, I have trained many students/teachers and helped them to use English language as a medium of instruction in their classroom situation in particular and as a means of communication in their real-life situation as a whole. I also assessed the qualities of ELTs on listening, speaking, reading, writing skills and teaching knowledge tests (TKTs) at the national scale and have tried to fill the skill gaps of the teachers.

At last but not least, I have actively facilitated  the works of the FDRE  Ministry of Education and strive harder to improve the quality, access and equity of education at all level.

Hi Everyone

My Name is Tom I am form the UK and looking at taking a exciting position in Addis, working for a new Charity Training Restaurant project, it will be the first of it kind in Africa.

I hear Property prices are high in the Capital and i am looking for advice on rentals. my salary could be $2000 a month
my question is whats a good price for a 1 bedroom apartment or a room in a shared house?

I hope to see you all very soon

Returning to Ethiopia.

No way Tom I live in China presently and I worked in Manassas Virginia a few year ago.. small world huh!

I am a retired American citizen and I am planning to live at least three months in Addis every year.I am looking for a furnished one bedroom apt to rent at Bole area. Please, if you have suggestions drop me a message - thank you. My name is Farah, A

Hello! My family (husband & four children plus one on the way) are headed to Lalibela in April.  What are saying/ nighttime temps like through the rainy season? I'm trying to pack light (no easy task with six of us ), but I don't want to be caught too unprepared. Thanks

hi all ..........my name is hewan mulugeta originally from ethiopia.. live in addis  working as a manger in RISE EMPLOYMENT EGENCY .

My name is Agegnehu Yimer , I am a licensed senior midwife graduated from university of Gondar in BSC degree in Midwifery with cumulative GPA 3.62, diploma in clinical nursing from Axum mid level health professionals training institute with cumulative GPA 3.94. In addition, I have many years of clinical experiences in different levels of health facilities. I also had been teaching in Semera health science college for the last 7 years as a midwife instructor. Currently, I have resigned with good recommendation letter and now I am seeking job.

Hello there,
My name is Saman from the US. I just arrived in Addis. I'm working at UN RCO and I will be here for one year. I am happy to meet up some expats. As you see, I am also looking for a room/ apartment to rent! any tips/ advise are appreciated. You may reach me at [Moderated: avoid posting your phone number pls]. Thank you!

Hi Agegnehu yimer Abebe & SamUN,

Welcome to Expat.com to both of you :)

@Agegnehu Yimer - regarding job hunting i will suggest you to please browse through the Jobs in Ethiopia section and drop your resume in the work sector that you feel more comfortable doing please :)

@SamUN - if you are looking for accommodation I will invite you to please post an advert in the Properties for rent in Ethiopia section please as it might help :)

Thank you and wishing you best of luck to both of you !

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi!  My name is Selome Dereje.  I am Working as a Project Officer on a National Endowment for Democracy/NED/ support project. It is a Human Rights and Democracy project based in Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. I've graduated with BA degree in Sociology and Social Anthropology with CGPA- 4.00. I have also A BSc degree in Physical Therapy from Gonder University.

Injera is a specific type of bread that is part and parcel to the Ethiopian culture. Injera is a necessity food item for almost all Ethiopians and is utilized in almost all-traditional cuisine.  Food in Ethiopia consists of a number of traditional dishes. The injera is typically served with either meat or vegetable sauces. A popular food called wot is a hot spicy pepper sauce, which is eaten with basic ingredients like vegetables, meat and chicken. Kocho is another popular food derived from “Ensete” stem and root (false banana tree and is indigenous in the southern and central Ethiopa) that is used to make bread. A traditional Ethiopian meal involves a gathering of people, who eat together from one large circular plate. Injera is also consumed in Eritria and some part of Somalia.

Teff was almost lost to the world. If was cultivated by farmers in the high land of Ethiopia. The grains of teff are very small, almost one-tenth of the size of wheat, and are very time consuming and labor intensive to separate them from their stalks. Because of Ethiopia's geography, the teff farmers did not trade their grain with the rest of Africa. It was one of the reason why Teff was almost exclusively grown only in Ethiopia for many years. But, in the recent years individuals ACI Industries since have introduced teff to the Ethiopia. Especially the individual from EYAYU AHMED industry Machine designer..

The process of making injera requires the tef flour to be mixed with and allowed to ferment for few days. This fermentation, as mentioned above, is a delicate process and is temperature and humidity sensitive. Traditionally the batter prepared is cooked either on a specialized electric stove or a pan made of clay using fir. This most valued grain used to make injera is known to be iron-rich. It is also packed with protein, and calcium, it is also one of the gluten-free grains, along with other grains such as, amaranth, buckwheat, millet, and quinoa . In fact, one cup of cooked teff contains as much iron as the UN recommends for adults in one day . It's nutritionally rich because most of the grain is made up of bran and germ, where the nutrients live. The whole grain is made into flour. Teff's production is limited to cretin middle altitudes and adequate rainfall .

hello everyone,

I am Dagne Belay from Addis the capital city of Ethiopia working for Awash Wine S.C as farm manager with extensive experience & skills in the agricultural world since then university completion hence looking for better experts exploiting duties I want to deal with this connection as provision of necessary information related to my profession, agriculturist (agronomist).

Best Regards,

Hello all,
my name is Jannis, i am from Germany, working in Italy at the moment and will go to Ethiopia in July this year for min. 2 years, to work in the horticulture.
Hope i will find some expats or even some ethiopian people for enjoying dinner, or coffee...
Looking forward to her from you.

Jannis

my name is Gebisa Tuji i am Ethiopian citizen and by birth is also ethiopian and i live here and depending on the topic i would
like also to share about many things
therefore i will wait your reply thank
you.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=462015

Thanks!

Closed