Living in Bahrain?

My fiance may be taking a job in Bahrain this January.  Do we need to get married first so that I may live with him? I'm having trouble finding that information.....Thanks!

Hi Lyn,

As a rule no, altho unmarried couples living together may be frowned upon by some, and some landlords wouldnt let you rent as an unmarried couple. Having said that i live with my girlfriend and another unmarried couple without our landlords knowledge, so it shouldnt cause you any fuss.

Hi, I am also looking to move with my boyfriend who just accepted a job in Bahrain.

I am a US citizen (although currently living in New Zealand), does anyone know what my VISA options are? Because we are not married his work can not sponsor me. I am hoping to find a job, but in the meantime am not sure.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

nicklenocky I have sent you a message as in same position :)

Hi london2bahrain...tried to reply to ur last message but apparently ur inbox is full!?

there are a few types of visas:

1) Visit Visa, Good for 2 weeks, available at the airport on arrival. You can extend this for up to 3 months. then you have to leave and do the same thing again

2) Work Visa. Need Bahraini company sponsor. With it you also get Residence Visa. good for 2 years mulit entry.

3) Family Visa. As a wife or child of someone who has a Work Visa, you can obtain a Residence Visa. But it is a a Family Visa tied to your husbands Work Visa. Only as a wife can you get this. You maybe able to use some sort of common law status to ascertain your partnership.

3) Multi Entry Business Visa. Still need local Bahraini Sponsor.

But you can probably get in on a visit visa, then find someone to sponsor you a work or business visa for a fee. You may even be able to find a job.

Also i now other couples, where every 2-3 months travel to dubai for the weekend, then come back in to Bahrain. But if you will be in Bahrain a long time, then what about Medical? Banking? Driving. You need to have some sort of legal residnecy to get this stuff..

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

very good post, thanks! Could you please compile it and make an article in the participative Bahrain guide? It would be very useful for the visas section.

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Is my fiancé able to sponsor me whilst I look for work? Or would we have to be married?

Can I clarify... I know I can't work on a visit visa, but am I allowed to look for work?

If so, what happens re visas if I do get employment? Can I just apply for a work visa and stay, or would I have to come back to the UK and re-enter using my work visa?

Jenniep wrote:

Can I clarify... I know I can't work on a visit visa, but am I allowed to look for work?

If so, what happens re visas if I do get employment? Can I just apply for a work visa and stay, or would I have to come back to the UK and re-enter using my work visa?

You are posting on a thread that is over 5 years old. I suggest that you read through other posts on the forum for information or open a new topic on this forum.

Thanks!

Work will process your work visa. A lot of people sign contracts while overseas enter on a visit visa and then work will sort out your visa once you're in the country.