I need some information

Hi,

I live in Vancouver, but my girlfriend is from Honduras, and am planning to visit her a lot and get a lot of information about life here. I want to join this forum to get information about:

1) How to buy or ship a vehicle- I hate the ridiculous rental fees for a 4x4 (100 usd per day)

2) Rules about buying property, and property as a "business"

3) Whether I need residency to purchase/ship a vehicle

4)Plans for marriage and hopefully getting canadian papers for her

thanks

Hi encantolover,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Honduras forum for more visibility. :)

Thanks

Priscilla

Hi!

I am from White Rock and have lived in Roatan, HN for 13 years. I can answer your questions.

1) How to buy or ship a vehicle- I hate the ridiculous rental fees for a 4x4 (100 usd per day)
- buy one in HN. It makes no sense to pay the cost of shipping and duties for a used vehicle that may be hard to get parts for or repair here. Central American vehicles don't have all the fancy anti-pollution gizmos (for example) that they don't have the knowledge or equipment to repair.

2) Rules about buying property, and property as a "business"
- Simple - bring cash. There is no bank financing here although many sellers will consider providing some financing albeit at a fairly high rate compared to what you are accustomed to. Property ownership is fee simple, titled ownership,much like in Canada and the process is very similar. Same for owning a business. You will need to get residency to operate a business here legally and i can help you with that.

3) Whether I need residency to purchase/ship a vehicle
- no

4)Plans for marriage and hopefully getting canadian papers for her
- Roatan is a very romantic place to get married and many people do each year. You can get married here, no problem but it likely won't be recognized in Canada. Getting a travel visa to Canada is fairly tough. Getting Canadian residency even tougher. Easier to live here.

(moderated: no free ads here please)

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best of Life!

Edward

Thanks Ed

I don't have much capital to invest in properties yet but am interested in the process for residency

Can you message me thanks

Hi, everyone.
i am from Pakistan and i don't have any embassy or consulate in my country(Pakistan).i contact Honduras embassies in different countries, but they replied me that i have to apply for a (VISA) through a lawyer from Honduras. So did any body know what is the Visa procedure.?????
Refer me some good lawyers would be great full
thanks

Have a great day
Fida Bhayo

A Honduras Visa is very easy to get. Every time I fly here the officials at the airport give me a 90-day visa for free. You don't need a Honduras lawyer, all you have to do is show up here and they will automatically give you one, no charge. After 90 days you will need to have your visa renewed. This can be done by leaving the country for at least 24 hours and then re-entering or by paying 2,100 Lempiras to have it renewed. You are required to leave the country and re-enter at least once every 6 months, unless you acquire residency status. You really should have no trouble getting a visa. I hope this helps you.

Hi,

The residency process is relatively simple if you use the right lawyer. It should take 90-120 days. You need to contact Jose Oswaldo Guillen, [email protected] or [email protected].

Best of Life!

Edward

Maybe I misunderstood the question. Getting a visa is easy, getting residency status is more complicated and requires a lawyer. Getting residency is something I need to do but it is complicated for me because you are required to have an income of at least $1,600 a month - which is more than I get from my Social Security Retirement. So how much money you have coming in is definitely a factor. But it is possible to live here for an extended period of time by simply renewing your visa every 90 days, until you can get residency status.

well i appreciate your guidance, But Honduras Embassy in Moscow replied this.

( national of Pakistan with a valid Pakistani passport requires a Consulted VISA.The request can be made by a person in Honduras that can credit the family relationship, friendship with the applicant that wishes to visit Honduras through a lawyer.)

so i need contacts of good lawyers of Honduras for visa procedure.
thanks
have a great day

thanks Edward for your reply but i have to get visa first then i will start my residency procedure.  :)

Well then same advice Fida. Contact Mr. Guillen. He will be able to advise you on a visa as well although I am surprised you would need anything more than your passport for a travel visa. Perhaps Pakistan doesn't have an agreement with Honduras. He will know.

Best of Life!

Edwatd

Sorry Fida, but it looks like different rules apply to you than to us North Americans. We don't have to go through that. I didn't realize that things are more complicated for you than for us.

Yes i already contact Mr: Guillen, Hope we can help me. and Pakistan also not recognize Honduras yes its true. thanks Edward and i will in touch for future guidance. 

yes marcus9957, things are so complicated specially for Pakistani. but i have to try and find a way to come Honduras because i am in love with Honduras girl. By hook or crook i have to be there as soon as possible. thanks for the reply..

have a great day

Can I open a bank account here in Honduras or do I need a special permit? I'm not sure about bringing a briefcase of cash and would rather wire money to another account if I were to purchase either a vehicle or down the road a property.

Also what is the standard of living in Honduras?

My gf lives in quite an awfully poor town, but she states she needs 2k for her and her 2 kids, 2k for her mother and ?10kids, 2k for her "investment/business" every month. In addition, she expects me to visit every month(which ends up being another 2k)

You can open a bank account with Banco Lafise. You will only need a Passport. I have an account there and I transfer money from my Bank of America account all the time. It cost $45. I live here with my wife and two kids. We have lived in Roatan, Utila and now in La Ceiba. La Ceiba is by far the cheapest. We can get by like we are living in the US for about $1500 and if we want to live like locals it goes down drastically. If you have any other  questions you can email me directly at [email protected]. :)

Thanks for the information.

So I don't need to have residency to open an account, like in Mexico.

No, you don't need residency to open a bank account. I have helped dozens of people open accounts here. You will need your passport, a copy of a local utility bill, two local references and a couple of hours of time. I would recommend opening both a USD and a Lempira account. Also keep in mind that no bank in the country will accept or exchange CAD.

You can live fine on Roatan for $2,000/mo. I know a retired teacher from the US who says she is very happy on her pensions of $1200/mo. I think that is a little light for Roatan. In most places on the mainland you can get by on much less than that. Your gf will live like a queen on $2,000/mo in a small, poor town on the mainland where the average wage will be around $300/mo. and much less in many cases.

Happy to help out a fellow Canuck. You can email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks

Since I don't actually live here I'm not sure what utility bill would be the easiest to pay? ? Does a TIGO account count?

Also since honduras doesn't accept canada dollar and I don't see the possibility of wiring lempiras from my TD account, does one open a US account with TD and wire that way? Alternatively I could carry cash in my armpits every month (just kidding)

Actually my gf lives on more than 2k per month but I guess there are too many mouths to feed...she never stops crying...about how my my ex gets for alimony

TIGO would likely work. I give my clients a copy of my electric bill and the bank is fine with that. Just get someone you know in your community here to give you a receipt or a photocopy.

Currency is no problem. When you wire funds out of your CAD account you can send them in US funds. They charge your account with the exchange.

Your story with your gf sounds very typical for Central America. No matter what the situation is they always seem to believe that gringos all own an orchard of money trees.

2000 us dollars a month? Per person? That would be living the high life even in roatan. Hoping you mean lemps....good luck

I cannot tell you too much about a vehicle, but I think it would be cheaper and less hassle to rent a car. A lot can go wrong and they can hold your car forever, or charge you a bundle, if they want. If you plan on purchasing land you will (should) have residency. (Be careful and do not give anyone a nickel until you have the title or deed investigated by an attorney. (I always recommend Romulo)!! If you buy land in Honduras and do not stay in Honduras, they will steal it from you. You should be able to buy a car, but having residency is always is wiser. The Canadian consulate will decide if the marriage is legitimate and if they believe that your marriage will be a successful one. (Taking a Honduran girl outside of Honduras is always risky)!! They can get psycho so far from their family and they also lose their humility.  A business is fine, but start small and be extremely careful! No other business partners unless you have done business with them prior.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Please recommend this lawyer in the appropriate section > Business directory

$2000.00 or L 2000.00 If she is asking for $2000.00 then get rid of her while you still have some money. $500.00 is more than enough!!!These women have a terrible reputation and if she is asking for that kind of money she is doing you wrong.

$2000.00 Do not give her more than $400.00 a month!!

Yeah she is not humble whatsoever

It's 2k usd a month for her
2k usd a month for her family
And 2k usd a month so she can finish constructing her home in the jungle

She lied and wanted 12k to finish buying property in her village that was a bar with 2 pool tables. Now that property is closed as there was a shooting.

She wants a truck as well but no one in her family actually knows how to drive one. They have an old truck from 1990 that sits there as a statue and is used for emergencies (they call a neighbour to drive). I want to get a truck or 4x4 cause I promised her a vehicle.

She also wants money to cross her brothers to USA. 2 have crossed so far. Each crossing is like 10kusd

Look this is not the gal for you!! Unless you are a millionare and you do not mind giving tons of money to her and her family. Right all women need money, but $400.00 a month is more than enough! Stop sending her money and let her know enough is enough! You will get her attention!! The cost to the States is $7000.00 top rate. She needs no truck! If you want a house for her then you need to be her to build it yourself, or they will scam you out of the supplies as well. (Charging double or triple for each bag of cement)!! My advice is get rid of her and find someone who is a little more grateful!!

I went to a bank? Continental and the lazy bank person said I need residency to open an account.

Do different banks have different rules?

No, you need a residence card to open an account

Yes, they do.   I have found that Laffise bank is  allows foreigners to open bank account only with passport, some of my clients have done it in the last 4 years.  Hope it helps.

Yes different banks different rules. Davivienda bank you will only need a passport copy and two references (letters). In and out in 30 minutes. You can open a Lempira or USD account or both.

Banco de Occidente or FICHOSA seem to be a little more lax, however they can change at any minute! A Lempira account is easier to open than a dollar account. Let me know and I will ask personally, if you wish!

You can at some banks, Lafise for sure because I help clients open accounts all the time to deposit their rent cheques. etc.

Best of Life!

Edward

Do not bring down a lot of cash. Dangerous and you can get in trouble with the migration officers, if you do not report it. Bring Traveller's checks. Honduras is extremely poor in places, extremely modern in others. Land of the scam! Please be careful and the estafa es el rey aquí! Do not flash around money and stay in a safe hotel! Do not trust family members of your girl friend. They usually are the worst!

Maybe it is different on the mainland but I don't think so. Banks will hold all US and travelers checks 30 days so they are useless here.

Maybe things have changed. I have not used them in a while, however carrying around a fist full of dollars is not a wise move.