Impact of refugee population on daily living?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this subject.  American retired couple keen to return to Malta for indefinite period rental after having last visited a decade ago.  Understand the EU 'open borders' policies have changed things on the tiny island, but can't seem to get two answers that agree.  What changes in daily living, surroundings, population, should we expect to see on the streets of Malta in the current situation?  Will the influx be quite evident to us?

There are some Africa and Islamic Refugees on the island but the EU influence would have introduced more workers from EU states that the former. Malta has always had a large visitor population anyway.

I think you will find Malta essentially how you remember it but maybe busier in places. Your experience depends on many factors:

Time of year you visited here last time
Where you stayed
Where you've lived in the USA
What travelling experience you have
Where you will be staying in Malta this time
If you're not going to work in Malta, I think you will hardly notice a thing. If you really want, you can move to samaller Maltese communities and find it exactly as you remember it from your last vist. Sadly those charming old Maltese buses don't run any more. We have modern air-conditioned buses instead.

I hope you will enjoy your stay in Malta again.

Thanks JustSunshine, most encouraging response from you.  Not looking for work, just the 'Malta Experience' we enjoyed so much last time.

In general you may well find things different but that also depends upon your previous experience.
A lot more non Maltese in the service industries.
In some areas traffic congestion is a serious issue particularly at certain times of the day.
There has been a  noticeable increase in building development in some areas.
In some areas litter and rubbish are an issue.
Some areas and venues are used by immigrants (legal or otherwise) to congregate.
I have been visiting and living here on and off since 1977 and I would, never contemplate living on Malta.
To recapture my previous experiences I live on Gozo.

I am sure there are some quiet unaffected areas somewhere though, apart from Gozo.

What little I know of Gozo is based on various tourist book descriptions which paint Gozo as quiet to the point of deadly dull.  No mention of restaurants, shops, banks, things that a tourist would especially appreciate on a first visit.   Do people prefer Gozo because they prefer to be left alone in solitude?  We were treated so well by the Maltese on our last visit I wouldn't want to be in a small village getting the distinct impression I'm being tolerated but only barely and only briefly.  How would a polite, American retired couple be received on Gozo?  Apologies in advance if my confessed ignorance of Gozo has inadvertently led to unintended slurs.

Gozo hosts many fine restaurants. There are 9 in our village square alone, of varying standards.
More, throughout the village.
We have 2 banks, no counter service but an ATM.
3 'supermarkets' 3 butchers, a lot of fruit and veg, wagons selling fish, fruit, veg and bread visit and tour daily.
At least 3 hardware shops, school, post office and a neolithic site that is just about the oldest ever found. The Ġgantija Temples in Xagħra, Gozo, are one of the most important archaeological sites in the Maltese Islands and are listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The site consists of two temples dating back to between 3600 and 3200 B.C
We are just 7 minutes bus ride away from the capital city which has everything to offer in terms of shopping and banking.(Anything else for that matter.) The hospital is there too, and through personal experience I can tell you the staff are wonderful.
We have most of our monthly shopping delivered. free of charge.
We have our laundry done at a very fair cost, collected and delivered, in 24hrs at no extra charge if wanted.
We have never been treated with anything other than welcoming and sustained friendship and kindness.
We have NEVER been 'ripped off'.
However, Gozo is small, one can see the whole island in a day. But hey! you can get to the coast quicker  :)
It has a far better bus service, reliable and sticks to the timetable.
Gozo outdoes anywhere on the mainland for Festa & Carnival.
(Ducks and runs for cover!  :whistle:  )
What it offers is laid back and welcoming tranquillity with all the amenities one would want but not necessarily on one's doorstep. Just perfect for my retirement. Just allow longer travelling time to and from the airport.
Yes, it's quieter but quality is better than quantity.
I shall PM you with links to photos etc. (Just found that I cannot as you do not have that facility switched on. Click on the link to my website and take your pic of the albums there of Malta/Gozo, particularly Xaghra, Festa etc.
And PS, We also have a truly 5 star hotel here.

Obviously I've been amiss in not looking more closely at Gozo!  I gather from your description that most of the North African refugees are likely to stay on Malta?   Don't mean to sound xenophobic as most of my life has been spent as an Expat either as a civilian or military service and I've always enjoyed the international social scene immensely.  Our plan at the moment is to pitch up in a Malta hotel upon arrival for a week or so, just to recover from jet lag and orient ourselves.  Or is there an airport shuttle than would take us over to Gozo to Victoria?  I'll guess a taxi might be expensive?  Then find a month long rental from which to assess the possibility of a longer term stay.

Pre paid taxis are available from the airport. this arrangement prevents 'rip offs'.
Most hotels, if not all, will arrange transfers. Takes appx 40 mins from hotel to ferry at Ċirkewwa, Malta, by taxi (E35) then 25 mins crossing then 5 mins by taxi to Victoria (E15, pay no more.)
Downtown hotel is in Victoria on Gozo.
Kempinski is at San Lawrenz.
There are also many hotels at Xlendi and Marsalforn.
Popularity is of course determined by time of the year.
Your experience all depends of course upon what you expect now and what you may have been used to in the past, in terms of quality of hotel etc.
As for refugees, many congregate in Victoria (bus terminus and St Francis square) and many seem to be accommodated in Xlendi but not in huge numbers. It's no issue for me, others may have their views.
You and I seem to have enjoyed similar past lives, military or expat.
Should also have mentioned that Xaghra has 2 pharmacies and a visiting Public Health Service doctor (Mon - Fri).
Turn on your Private Messaging and I'll send more info.

I see the same changes that I have seen all over the western world, more people, more buildings, same prejudices from  a minority of  people.
Everywhere changes over the years it just takes fresh eyes to see it.

Terry

Wild Hare wrote:

American retired couple keen to return to Malta for indefinite period rental after having last visited a decade ago.

do you also have EU passports, as its not easy for non EU citizens to acquire residency (unless you pay a lot for it)

Redmik, private messaging enabled as of 0845 hrs PST 22 February.  Wild Hare

Hello Wild Hare,

How about we all continue discussing about the topic here on the thread so that other members can have access to the information as well. This type of thread are really good information sources for everyone else. Moreover, other members can participate and give their point of views this way. ;)

Thank you,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Shaazia, Any information that is of general interest is being shared and others are contributing.
Only private information is being shared by PM.

Oh I'm all for that! 

As this retired American couple is learning thanks to other Expatblog members, there are some serious legal and banking obstacles for the would-be Expat who thinks he would like to expend a year or so on Malta.  I think I can work around not having a bank account on the island, but now it appears I can't spend more than 90 of 180 days living there. 

You might think that for those expats not looking for employment, and who will do little but enjoy the island and spend some money there Malta would be a bit more tolerant. Then again I really do appreciate how sensitive the Maltese are to being overrun by foreigners.

I don't know if 'overrun by foreigners' is a good way of putting it. The foreigners contribute a lot to this little island- let's face it, if it weren't for tourism Malta would probably be going the way of Greece and other European countries suffering economically.
Where we were born is merely a toss of the dice, after all ;).

Well I'm certainly doing my part to help overrun the tiny island:-)  It seems they're on to me though.  I sure hope I can pull off this return visit as I just loved the atmosphere and the history.  We've got the funds, now we just need a little local cooperation!

Quid pro quo!
I think it may in part be due to the limitations placed upon those who wish to spend extended periods of time in the USA.
Certainly for Maltese wishing to do so.

Wild Hare wrote:

Oh I'm all for that! 

As this retired American couple is learning thanks to other Expatblog members, there are some serious legal and banking obstacles for the would-be Expat who thinks he would like to expend a year or so on Malta.  I think I can work around not having a bank account on the island, but now it appears I can't spend more than 90 of 180 days living there. 

You might think that for those expats not looking for employment, and who will do little but enjoy the island and spend some money there Malta would be a bit more tolerant. Then again I really do appreciate how sensitive the Maltese are to being overrun by foreigners.

Our first choice would have been to retire to Siesta Key,FL. not Gozo, having visited there 11 times, but, guess what, - the US government wouldn't let us !!!

That will teach you to try the legal, honorable path!  You should just have come across our Mexican border like every one else does, and I do mean 'everyone' else.  Mexicans, Central and South Americans, Chinese, Arabs, Koreans, Pakistanis, Indians, etc.  BTW, if you're in Gozo now did you ever consider the Adriatic?  That's my fallback plan if Malta doesn't work out.

Can't be bothered with learning another language ( I am already trying to learn German as our son and his family live in Munich) plus the Italian Adriatic coast is relatively expensive.
Ray

I hadn't realized the Adriatic (frmr Yugoslav side) was expensive.  More so than Malta?

Wild Hare wrote:

That will teach you to try the legal, honorable path!  You should just have come across our Mexican border like every one else does, and I do mean 'everyone' else.  Mexicans, Central and South Americans, Chinese, Arabs, Koreans, Pakistanis, Indians, etc.

It's funny isn't it? Just because you're American, you think you can just go and live anywhere and do as you please and be welcomed with open arms? But when Mexicans or 'everyone else' want to come to the US, they 'just have to come across the border' - you mean sneak through the desert, climb walls and fences, and with a bit of luck, get shot?

Are the cowboy hats in your avatar a mere coincidence?

Wild Hare wrote:

I hadn't realized the Adriatic (frmr Yugoslav side) was expensive.  More so than Malta?

The clue was in my post, it said  -  'the ITALIAN ADRIATIC coast is relatively expensive.'
Ray

Oh c'mon, Ni... Whatever your name is. No American bashing please.
Americans are among the most generous, kindest people in the world. Grow up and get to know the individuals before you start on that bs.
Cheers ;).

Nange wrote:

Oh c'mon, Ni... Whatever your name is. No American bashing please.
Americans are among the most generous, kindest people in the world. Grow up and get to know the individuals before you start on that bs.
Cheers ;).

Coming from the North American continent there is no bias of course!    :joking:

Haha, of course not!
I've had the privilege of calling many Americans my good friends and travelling all over the beautiful US of A :))

Actually we Americans don't go everywhere we please and we don't always expect to be welcomed with open arms.  A lot of Americans are still buried where they died after we went to Europe to pull the Germans off your throat (twice).  Care to talk about who has and is carrying the brunt of the fight against, and suffering the bulk of the casualties from,  fighting Al Qaeda, ISIS, AQIP, and the Evil parading under another a dozen names?  Who picked up the tab for YOUR freedom to travel Nilon?  Pretty good bet it wasn't you.

You might also be surprised to see who is sneaking across our southern border other than Mexicans.  I certainly was when I did a long study on the subject.  And not only Central and South Americans, but Chinese, Pakistanis, Arabs, Persians, Koreans, Africans, and probably some of your fellow countrymen to boot.  Amongst these groups are illegals who have killed far more Americans in America to date than has ISIS.

Do a little more homework before bashing the people who went to Africa to fight the Ebola outbreak, and to the Philippines a year or so ago to help the typhoon-ravaged people there.  Our aid totaled more than all other countries, combined.  The Wild Hare

Wild Hare wrote:

A lot of Americans are still buried where they died after we went to Europe to pull the Germans off your throat (twice).

and now its the Germans who wont allow you to live in the EU for more than 6 months :-)

LOL!  And it is my loss.  Lived in Germany twice and loved it.

We? We? Wild Hare, were you actually a participant?
Also, don't make wild claims about being Europe's (or anyone else's) saviours.
That is misplaced arrogance. (I'm surprised)
Any actions the USA were/are involved in are only for their own needs.

Well in fact, no.  I missed WWI entirely and was still a bit too young for the sequel.  I should point out however that the allegations launching this spirited exchange were against Americans as a culture, not this individual.  So if a Brit for example were to say to me 'We launched and maintained one of the world's historic empires' he would find no challenge from me no matter his post-WWII birthdate. 

As for 'saviors' (not my word) I dispute any allegation of arrogance.  As for WWI to start with, the European brawl threatened no US strategic interests and there was as you know considerable domestic opposition to 'going over' at all.  Woodrow Wilson prevailed on this decision leaning heavily on the American tradition of idealism ('Make the World Safe for Democracy').  There was at that time no 'military industrial complex' making billions of dollars and after the war the US military sank to a size smaller than the New York City police department. 

As for WWII, you will recall Herr Hitler declared war on the US only after the Pearl Harbor attack.  There is little evidence in 1941 the Nazis were coming for New York City, and the American public perception of direct threat from Germany was so scant Roosevelt had to resort to considerable deceit to maneuver America into the war ('Lend Lease'); at least until Pearl Harbor.  I don't recall the US gaining (or asking for) a single colony as war booty, and I don't recall Germany paying for the Marshall Plan.  As we now know US industrialists were working with the Germans behind the scenes during the war and would certainly have done so had Germany trumped the European theater.  They certainly didn't need a war to turn a profit from Europe.

And I'm going on too long here.  Perhaps we can save this for a beer or two in Gozo?

Wild Hare wrote:

And I'm going on too long here

Yes, you are and  :offtopic:

Ha ha , wonderful ...........all of a sudden it's " off topic " !!!  -  Mr Redmik , I'm thinking you may have met your match there !!!!😂😂😂 - many thanks Wild Hare , intelligent and well constructed response !!! 😂👍

Moyes14!  You are definitely 'A-List' for our Christmas cards this year!  Still, redmk does have a point on this combat veteran's windy response that so annoyed him.  Come to think of it total strangers have tried to kill me for much less:-)

Moyes14 wrote:

Ha ha , wonderful ...........all of a sudden it's " off topic " !!!  -  Mr Redmik , I'm thinking you may have met your match there !!!!😂😂😂 - many thanks Wild Hare , intelligent and well constructed response !!! 😂👍

:D  WW2 is slightly off topic, wouldn't you say?

Hi there Wild Hare and redmik. I always find it rather puzzling how these posts can go "off topic" so rapidly. Although I do like Gozo, I like the fact that I can drive to Valletta in 20 minutes in my tuk tuk and am only 10 minutes from the airport. I live in Birzebbuga in the sleepy south. It is mostly Maltese here with a few expats. There are also a few ex military people here, I was in the Gurkhas. I would be more than happy to show you around when you come over. I served on attachment to the 8th US Army in Korea in Seoul and in the DMZ and have always enjoyed the company of our cousins from across the water.As they say in the Army "Time spent in recce is seldom wasted", so I suggest you come out here and have a look around before you decide where to settle. I have been here nearly 3 years now and I love it. Before this I was in South Africa, UK and Nepal - so I have something to compare it to. Have a good one.

I lived in Malta 1998 to 2002, have been back again since 2010. I find car traffic infinitely worse than before (and parking, of course). On the positive side, there are more supermarkets and a wider range of food products available. Malta has become more international (people from all countries). Most Maltese have remained their same helpful and honest self, some others now try to charge foreigners more than they do Maltese. The same happens in France (where I come from), in Italy (where I lived in between).

Oh, yes, Mater Dei is definitely an improvement over St Lukes Hospital, even though it is not large enough and not perfect.

If you live in the south of Malta, it remains very pleasant and is not as overbuilt as Sliema and surroundings.