Supply Teaching

I am a teacher of Science in a school in the UK - I have been looking for teaching jobs in Bahrain.  Even though I have had a couple of interviews, I've had no luck so far. I'm desperate to move to Bahrain (fiancé already lives there) and was wondering what the job situation regarding supply teaching is out there as I don't really want to become a 'kept woman' (apart from anything else, I'd be bored after a few weeks!)

Thanks in anticipation!

I am guessing a supply teacher means a substitute teacher?

There are jobs for that, but you will be competing quite a bit as I believe it is a very popular position for spouses to try to get.  There are people much more knowledgeable than I am that can go into more details about you coming over and then getting a job, your visa situation etc.

I do know you should remember the hiring season is late November to Early January for international schools for the following year.  If you came in the summer months you would only have 2 or 3 months before the job hunt.  You would also be more attractive to a school since you would save them shipping and moving allowances and housing costs.  Doesn't guarantee anything, however - international teaching is a very competitive field now because pay is so low for teachers at home in the US.

Best of luck to you and your fiance!

Thank you

Hi,

I know this was posted a few months ago but it seems worth a try in case you still check these boards. I'm in an almost identical situation to JennieP and was wondering how you are getting on? I'm currently a Science teacher in London but am leaving my job at Christmas to join my partner in Manama. My visa, accommodation etc is all sorted through his work but I haven't had any luck finding jobs to apply for let alone getting to the stage of interviews. If you see this post and you have any advice on the supply situation I would be very grateful.

Helena

Visiting the individual schools is your best bet now I would think.  They will not post substitute teaching jobs online usually unless it is a standing ad - much easier to hire local.  A lot of schools would be very happy to have a native english speaking person to fill the ranks if they have room for you.

Best of luck

Just go around and give your CV to schools. Supply / relief staff are always needed but not something places really advertise.