Hints & Tips for considering when looking to rent property on Malta.

We have a big Britta filter in the kitchen. Makes more sense than buying bottled all the time (and all that plastic-ugh). I always carry a stainless steel beverage holder when I go out, filled with water, as restaurants here won't serve tap water. In the summer I'll have to switch to my backpacking water holder!

redmik wrote:

That is not correct in all establishments. Not worth taking the chance.
Regulations state that at least one supply must be from the mains but often it is only one and not necessarily to the kitchen tap.

So best for people to check and get the landlord to change it then. The water services can check which tap is connected to the mains.

Where can i get a cheep place like yours lol

Alfie,  who you are writing to there?
And you still haven't acknowledged or answered my private message.

Hi guys thought I would share my latest on looking for a home in malta via estate agent or private, ok so I have viewed 16 property's in total ... In mellieha and Xemxija , via private and estate agents... I have met lots of different estate agents all over malta some good some crap! And owners aswell, the two agents I would recommend is Shauny from simo and Nick from JPD homes both good, Nicks better that's who I chose, so I got a 2 bed in mellieha a maisonette very large, with own yard, own roof, fully furnished in great condition €380 per month. I viewed 4 places with Nick from JPD homes every property was fantastic! And I am a tradesman and very fussy lol

Thanks
Darryl & maria

Nice one (Y)

I've read this topic with interest, I will have to speak to JPD as well as looking for private.

Its like everything in life, the ill prepared will unfortunately be exploited.

Hi please note that the deposit you give to the landlord will be given to you back at the end of your contract,this is done here in case of any damages or should the occupant decide to leave without any notice or payment.If there`ll be any damages the landlord will deduct from the deposit and give you the rest before you leave.

And it's that easy to get your deposit back? Providing there's no damages? ... There not going to make up something to keep deposit or some of it?..... Anyone had issues with deposits?

or more likely they will keep it as thats what they do.. and thats what tey expect to do too

any old excuse to keep it and not pay it back

Toon wrote:

or more likely they will keep it as thats what they do.. and thats what tey expect to do too

Yep, I've never had a deposit back in the 11 years I've been here.

coxf0001 wrote:
Toon wrote:

Yep, I've never had a deposit back in the 11 years I've been here.

Probably cause there is no regulation for deposits being put into a regulatory body account like in the UK.
Why don't they just say "non returnable deposit" then everyone would know.

Is it really standard practice to keep deposits? I've got family living in malta already and that haven't said that's how they roll..

Yes, in the overwhelming number of cases. Two reasons being that the legal system takes so long in process and is very biased against 'the foreigner'.

warrman wrote:

Is it really standard practice to keep deposits? I've got family living in malta already and that haven't said that's how they roll..

I have moved twice and never had the slightest trouble getting my deposit back. If you encounter a landlord trying to keep your deposit, don't give up too easily thinking it's "normal".

If you move out because you're leaving Malta, don't communicate this without reason as it will put you at a tactical disadvantage (time will be working against you, so payments could be "delayed")

Thinking logically I think deposits will have to eventually be regulated - back in 1972 when i lived in Canada the deposits were regulated i.e.; the landlord took a deposit and it was kept safely with an independent body and returned after the end of the contract, plus the landlord had to prove the case against not returning it.

Its taken the UK years to do the same but it now does, Malta will eventually have to do the same I guess.

Not sure if there is any EU requirement in law yet though?

there is nothing as far as am aware within the EU  - regarding this and tenants rights - one thing is for sure it will take a long time in Malta despite there being consumer depts and laws....etc  - the maltese interpretation is a little lacking.... ie LOST

spookily the regulations here in Cyprus are heavily weighted in favour of the tenant - its the way it rolls i guess. lol

But in all honesty the laws and regulatory mechanisms need to be fair to everyone and seen to be applied and enforced fairly

I've said this in the past....A 'deposit' in Malta until recently was called 'first and last'. You would pay the landlord your first months rent, along with the last month rent, so there was no 'deposit' as such, hence why many don't get the idea or are reluctant to give back.

am not so sure they think that way now.....lol

coxf0001 wrote:

I've said this in the past....A 'deposit' in Malta until recently was called 'first and last'. You would pay the landlord your first months rent, along with the last month rent, so there was no 'deposit' as such, hence why many don't get the idea or are reluctant to give back.

That used to be the way in the UK before regulation - its a good system and if I'm offered that i would have no problem but its sound like a thing of the past.

am more inclined to think it will never ever return as its become almost custom and practice

regulation will take years, tenants rights even longer

Hi Darryl
Me and my husband are going out to malta at the end of march to sort a property to rent.  I looked for JPD but could only find a facebook page.
Do you have contact details for them. We are looking to rent in Xemxija.
Thanks
Helen

Tnx for hints :D

Hellsbells50 wrote:

Hi Darryl
Me and my husband are going out to malta at the end of march to sort a property to rent.  I looked for JPD but could only find a facebook page.
Do you have contact details for them. We are looking to rent in Xemxija.
Thanks
Helen

Hiya, sorry for delay +356 99928999 his name is nick
Good luck 👍

Thx for the useful info :)

Hi guys, just wanted to add that obliviously if you can go private with a contract then do so, don't forget to check everything when you move in! Plug sockets! Light switches ! If you have a roof check for patch ups! Cracks etc.... Very common for maltese buildings to have cracks on roof! And for them to patch it up rather than them doing it properly with membrane....maltese maintenance is not like Uk maintenance.... So eyes wide open when viewing... If you see something your not sure about but love the property then drop me a msg, or on the forum, I fix these buildings for a living so I see a lot of hidden nastys!

Good luck

maybe you should set up a little business for accompanying potential renters, if you did it enough times and charged a small amount then the landlords would know you and realise what would be expected, even drawing up a proper contract.

Just a thought as am sure there would be plenty of renters wanting that service.

Hey guys.
So we're starting our property search today, we currently have an apartment in Balluta bay for a few weeks while we fine our own place. For the sake of saving money and not getting ripped off by estate agents I had a look on malta park and have found a couple of property's id like to go view. Although I'm worried and unsure how it works with a private landlord, I'd like to know what to be careful of and when and what money to hand over.? My partners booked and appointment with frank salt tomorrow to look round a few properties too but from what I have read on a few things on here we would benefit more from going private. Any advice would be great. Thank you sam x

the hints and tips at the head of the thread are important and still valid.

plus are just as valid with a private landlord as one through an agent

Samantha, agents usually only act for private landlords and do not usually provide any protection for the renter.
Agents are usually self employed on a commission only basis.
I have PM'd you with a recommendation.

hi all. thanks for really interesting thread.
redmik, would you mind also pm'ing your recommendations since we are in the same boat as samantha?
happy easter y'all.

LacAssal wrote:

hi all. thanks for really interesting thread.
redmik, would you mind also pm'ing your recommendations since we are in the same boat as samantha?
happy easter y'all.

Have done.

Hi all!  I am looking for rent 2 room flat/house, so I would be interested in knowing about some good agent recommendations. If you guys know some and can help, please send me contact by PM.

Don't bother until you get here, the market is such that any enquiry will usually be ignored and anything offered will be gone by the time you get here.

We both in Malta already..so any help would be awesome.

Hey!
I am planning to move to Malta by september this year. Since my college is located in Hamrun, i will be looking for places around!. Any tips as to how should i go about? I have also been suggested to live with a local family for the 1st year and then move out in the second year as you get to know the area and people!. I would like to know what you guys think about it? Also a brief insight into the cost of living (Electricity, WiFi, Heating, Food etc) shall be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase; do look around here at the Forum Categories and then come back with specific questions. All that information is already here.
Like for example:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=62416

Just one of many.

jorg3 wrote:

We both in Malta already..so any help would be awesome.

Your profile states Iceland and you didn't say.
I have PM's you.

i can personally recommend Simon Mamo estate agents. I was in email and text contact for 6 months before I moved out. I was met at the airport, taken to hotel and picked up next morning. went around Malta looking at various properties available that met my budget and criteria. found this one on the same day, next day picked up brought here again and signed the lease. it isn't like the UK as in agents checking property and visiting etc. they are not responsible for the property and you don't pay your rent to them. Letting agents in the UK are more of a rip off than out here, in my view. with fees etc so much so they are being regulated for the first time under the auspices of the FSA.

Hi Everybody I would like to know something if anyone help me i will be very happy , as i check real estate agency i found many house in my budget any area however  , when i check maltapark and other webpage  house rent is expensive  than my budget all area , can i trust these estate ads on their page or not? and how is procedure how much estate charge for rent house and  policy how it work for long let deposit and and utilities. thank you !