Family-friendly area of Saint Denis?

Hello everybody - I am a novice of forums, will anybody read this??  :)
I am planning to move to Saint Denis next year (January 2016) with husband and 3 boys aged 10, 6 and 4 for one or possibly two years and I could really do with some advice on where to live. The most important factor is the proximity of a good primary school. I understand there are no bilingual schools on the island but we are happy to throw our boys in at the deep end of French school. Perhaps they will hate us to start with but they will thank us in the end.
Any advice would be VERY welcome.
Thank you!
PS do you know a pottery? I am a keen potter and I miss my wheel at the mere thought of leaving it behind.

hi isaEd,

welcome to this forum!!
st denis is the capital city..... if you like busy life this is the place to be. i don't live in st denis so i can't tell you where to live!! but if you could tell me what you like or what you don't, i can launch an investition...
there are two other possibilities:
1/you can pop in the french version if you speak some french.
2/ you can directly open a new topic " where to live in st denis"

are you moving here because you got a job or for other reasons?
if i had to give you one piece of advice it would be to live as close as possible to  your job!
as for a good primary school, it's impossible to say this one is better than that one .... for we can't choose ... your children will go to the school where you live or where you work (this possibilty needs a special dispensation!!)

hope it helps,

christ

Dear Christ
Thank you very much for your message. We are going to St Denis because my husband will be doing research on the new coastal road so we are not really tied to any area. Or are we? Lots of people mention the congestion... Someone said La Montaigne was a 'simpa' place to live. Difficult to say what we like as we like lots of things! But given the choice we probably like exploring the countryside (mountainside?seaside?) more than shopping or clubbing. So I thought a good school would be a reasonable deciding factor as to where to look for a house.

IsaEd wrote:

Dear Christ
Thank you very much for your message. We are going to St Denis because my husband will be doing research on the new coastal road so we are not really tied to any area. Or are we? Lots of people mention the congestion... Someone said La Montaigne was a 'simpa' place to live. Difficult to say what we like as we like lots of things! But given the choice we probably like exploring the countryside (mountainside?seaside?) more than shopping or clubbing. So I thought a good school would be a reasonable deciding factor as to where to look for a house.

hello isaEd,

la possession is near st denis and it's a "sympa "place as well... more or less expensive and some areas are cheaper but it's certainly easier and less congested to get to the beaches, do shopping, and visit the island!
personnally, i live near the highway and i do appreciate to go anywhere without thinking of getting stuck in the traffic jam....
do your children speak french? i teach English to children and i guess they will have a hard time to learn some french!!
your older son will go to junior high school next year( by the way the school year is from August to june!!) and if  i had to give you an advice try to live the nearest possible to the schools.... you'll avoid a stressfull life!!

i wish there were more people on the forum to give you other advice!!

christ

christ974 wrote:
IsaEd wrote:

Dear Christ

hello isaEd,

la possession is near st denis and it's a "sympa "place as well... more or less expensive and some areas are cheaper but it's certainly easier and less congested to get to the beaches, do shopping, and visit the island!
personnally, i live near the highway and i do appreciate to go anywhere without thinking of getting stuck in the traffic jam....
do your children speak french? i teach English to children and i guess they will have a hard time to learn some french!!
your older son will go to junior high school next year( by the way the school year is from August to june!!) and if  i had to give you an advice try to live the nearest possible to the schools.... you'll avoid a stressfull life!!

i wish there were more people on the forum to give you other advice!!

christ

oh great thanks!!! :mad:

that's ok!! it's my pleasure!!!