Marrying in Tunisia

Hi,
I'm going to Tunisia at the end of August to my boyfriends sisters wedding. He and I were also planning on getting married and wanted to know what papers we need, the approximate expenses and how much time it will take for him to get a visa to get back to the US with me!
Any help would be amazing!

Cminor - so don't plan on getting a visa for him quickly.  It takes a long time and a lot of money.  But here is what you need for marriage here:

You will need
1.  Certificate of no impediment to marry - a document certifying your single status and ability to marry
2.  Original birth certificate no older than 21 days prior to date of marriage
3.  Passport
4.  If you have been married before:  original marriage certificate/original documents of divorce
All these documents must be translated into Arabic/French and certified.  You can do it here it is cheaper than the US
You will both need blood tests and these can also be done here with a few hours turn around.

Your b/f needs:

1.  Carte d'identitie
2.  Original birth certificate no older than 21 days prior to marriage

Not sure what you mean by approx expenses - is that for the contract or party?  Your b/f is in a good position to find this out for you.

As for the visa..................I think in excess of US$5,000 with no guarantee of success especially in this climate. 

Let me know if you want more

So booking marriage at register office only can be done 3weeks prior and can the brittish embassy translate all documents.into French

Sorry forgot to ask can all birth and non imppediment certificate be obtained at the brittish embassy Tunis or do we have to go back to England to obtain these

Lilly8 - I am not sure, but I think you can get your coni at the British Embassy but you need all your dox with you and don't forget to make an appointment.

British embassy do not translate documents, you need to go to a certified translater.  You can get the list of approved translators from their website.  Just a note - it's not a registry office, it's the municipal office and a notaire will do your contract for you.  It depends on where the municipal office is located (your area?) and how busy they are.  Perhaps you could book a notaire to do the contract and then sign in the house of your fiance.  It's quick and cheap

Thankyou so much for promt reply I am still in Tunisia and going home Friday wanted everything sorted it's been very daunting in all aspects I rang the embassy they wasn't helpful at all so going home and hopefully get married on the date I want how much is it to sign at my fiancé I had thought of doing this it's just this 3weeks think that's little time to get a wedding organized booking d j singer food ext any thankyou once again

Lilly - everything can be done quickly really.  You mean signing the contract?  I don't know how much it is now in the Municipale but it's cheap.  If you have a notaire it will depend on his charges, shouldn't be more than tnd150 and he will draw up the contract anyway.  Why is your fiance not helping you with all this??  He knows exactly what he should do and can organise a whole heap before you even get here.

Hi once again he dosent read or write has he hasent been lucky enough to have an education and he works very long hours his friends have helped me alot i am sure things will go well thankyou for your help and will let you know how well it all went we are married kindest regards Lilly

Inchallah mabrouk

Hi I am looking to marry tunisian partner in tunisia the information is not so clear has anyone got any advice please

What are your questions?

The Tunisian is living there and should be able to go and find all the required information for you - that's the simplest way to know what is required.

What's asked for is a certificate of non-impediment and a birth certificate, in most cases not older than 3 weeks old.  If you're divorced you need to provide a divorce certificate as well.

All documents must be translated to French or Arabic.

My questions are does my tunisian partner need a certificate of no impediment separate ?

Does my birth certificate also have to be dated in a time frame or just partners?

Do I need to take an affidavit to the embassy and Does it need to be a certain  format or  language ?

Does it need along with my birth certificate and decree absolute to be translated is this after the embassy visit before the municipatility visit?

Hi and yes my partner is in tunisia but he was told you can email for the certificate ?
Not sure that's right also he was told maybe this whole process will take 3 weeks
It's just the more different people you ask there is slight deviation which cause the uncertainty

If you have a certificate of no impediment here how long does embassy take to translate?
Also what is the affidavit you swear on oath at embassy for if you have CnI it's not that clear

Thanks for your help really appreciate it

djlorrainetaylor wrote:

My questions are does my tunisian partner need a certificate of no impediment separate ?

Does my birth certificate also have to be dated in a time frame or just partners?

Do I need to take an affidavit to the embassy and Does it need to be a certain  format or  language ?

Does it need along with my birth certificate and decree absolute to be translated is this after the embassy visit before the municipatility visit?

No, he won't need a CONI because the Tunisian birth certificate actually shows at the bottom whether they are married or not.  Once he is married, it will show up on his birth certificate that he is married.

Your birth certificate does have to be in that time frame.  It's normally 3 weeks.  Please have him check with his local baladiya as some have been a bit more flexible and some less by a week.

You will have to check your local embassy.  I had to go to the Polish embassy and they offered translation services for my birth certificate and did the CONI there.  It was tricky for me because I am living in Canada and needed to order Polish bc and have it sent to Canada and then take it to Tunisia... it was super stressful.  My suggestion is call your embassy and find out, it's not the first time they've done it.

It must be in French or Arabic before you present it to the balidya where you plan on doing your civic marriage.

djlorrainetaylor wrote:

Hi and yes my partner is in tunisia but he was told you can email for the certificate ?
Not sure that's right also he was told maybe this whole process will take 3 weeks
It's just the more different people you ask there is slight deviation which cause the uncertainty

If you have a certificate of no impediment here how long does embassy take to translate?
Also what is the affidavit you swear on oath at embassy for if you have CnI it's not that clear

Thanks for your help really appreciate it

Which certificate are you emailing for? 

For me, it was complex.  I had to hire a power of attorney to retrieve Polish birth certificates for me in Poland and then courier to Canada. (I was not a Canadian at the time, I am now) and then the Polish embassy translated the birth certificate and provided a CONI.  It was fast and easy.  My embassy took a week, but I've heard some get it done in a day.

Not all embassies provide translation, call in advance.

For his birth certificate he can walk in to the balidya and get it the same day.

Hi thanks for reply the certificate is the CNI As I understand now you can get it tunisia but you  have wait 7 days for them display if you get from embassy there but you can uk get it done its 28 days then take embassy and they translate to French birth certificate and divorce paper need translated my only question now Is on the CNI what does the tunisian government accept on for the place is it exact office you will marry or are they happy with tunisia as the UK registrar has asked me kind regards

Hi also the affidavit fir the embassy does anyone know format is it a specific one tou need ?

@Tunisiandollytunisia contract marriage if you don't have a birth certificate what is best solution to do to get married contract

tunisia contract marriage if you don't have a birth certificate what is the best solution to do it  to get marriage contract?

@Ara35

Consular certificate from your embassy could hep. 🙏