Shipping car to kenya

hello i want to ship my sun s car from USA to kenya anay advice pls?thank you

[Moderated : No free adverts on the forum please ]

I have shipped cars from the US to europe and have always relied on a good shipping company for their expertise! On the east and west coast there's plenty of companies that ship personal property to other countries, find a shipping port near you and google then contact a few reputable shipping companies and get some quotes! They should be able to let you know what documents you will need both sides and what payments and taxes you will be liable for!

Call Sanya Cargo in US at 1 866 922-4060
They will help you. They are very competitive and they know what they are doing when you ship through them.
Good Luck

@kameldialna

You should also check on whether you are allowed to drive a left hand drive car in Kenya. In my time there I never saw one on the road.

Hello kameldialna,

I would like to inform you that i have moved your discussion to the Kenya forum so that you can get more interaction with members in Kenya.

Thank you
Yuveshen

Hi, the rules are that the car must be right hand drive and under 8 years old.  Vehicles are also required to have a pre-shipping inspection by a company; Jevic, to ensure that the vehicle is in sound condition. 

The authorities are quite strict on the above.  Vehicles that arrive in Mombasa that fall outside of the requirements are not released from the port.

Assuming the above is OK, there are the charges to consider.  On top of the shipping costs, the duty and other taxes amount to approximately 75% of the value of the vehicle (as assessed by Kenyan customs).  It can therefore be a better solution for your sons car to be sold and a vehicle purchased locally. 

The other thing to consider, for the longer term is whether your son's car is a make/model that is known in Kenya.  The road conditions are tough on cars and you need to know that spares can be obtained and the vehicle fixed up.

We have shipped 2 vehicles, recently.  We opted to put them into containers, which is costlier.  The other option is roll on roll off, which is much cheaper.  You need a good clearing agent in Mombasa, but a reputable shipping company should be partnered with a good clearing agent, in any case.