Costa Rica: Nix! Panama: Nix! So. Carolina: Nix! How About Ecuador!

Robin, who turns 60 in May and uses the handle "RunningAwayAtSixty," has already tried living in Costa Rica and Panama in the last several years.

It didn't take in those countries and now she's living with her daughter in the Carolinas, and approaching the big 6-Oh.

Next on her list is Ecuador, and potentially a 3-month visit.

She's asking about a location in this country where she could feel safe, be active, and meet other singles.

I responded to her PM, and she didn't object to me moving our conversation onto this Forum.

Personally, based on what I know of you, Robin, I think Cuenca might be ideal.

There are a "monton" of Expat events, the most of any place in Ecuador.  It's considered the safest of the major EC cities and -- at least anecdotally -- there are a lot of single women living there successfully.  Single men, too.

I love it here in Quito, but it's a lot bigger than Cuenca and may not feel as safe for women.

If you might not feel comfortable at altitude -- Cuenca is over 8,000 feet above sea level, Quito over 9,000, and the low oxygen levels don't agree with everyone -- or if you enjoy the beach, there's the Pacific Coast.  You could try Salinas (touristy but a relatively high number of Expats for the coastal cities) or Bahia de Caraquez.  The Expat population at the beach is increasing but there are fewer Expat meet-and-greets.

Vilcabamba, in a highlands valley, has tons of Gringos for its size, but is a small place with a New Age flavor.

If anyone else has some advice for where Robin might land, she'd love to hear from you.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Robin, who turns 60 in May and uses the handle "RunningAwayAtSixty," has already tried living in Costa Rica and Panama in the last several years.

It didn't take in those countries and now she's living with her daughter in the Carolinas, and approaching the big 6-Oh.

Next on her list is Ecuador, and potentially a 3-month visit.

She's asking about a location in this country where she could feel safe, be active, and meet other singles.

I responded to her PM, and she didn't object to me moving our conversation onto this Forum.

Personally, based on what I know of you, Robin, I think Cuenca might be ideal.

There are a "monton" of Expat events, the most of any place in Ecuador.  It's considered the safest of the major EC cities and -- at least anecdotally -- there are a lot of single women living there successfully.  Single men, too.

I love it here in Quito, but it's a lot bigger than Cuenca and may not feel as safe for women.

If you might not feel comfortable at altitude -- Cuenca is over 8,000 feet above sea level, Quito over 9,000, and the low oxygen levels don't agree with everyone -- or if you enjoy the beach, there's the Pacific Coast.  You could try Salinas (touristy but a relatively high number of Expats for the coastal cities) or Bahia de Caraquez.  The Expat population at the beach is increasing but there are fewer Expat meet-and-greets.

Vilcabamba, in a highlands valley, has tons of Gringos for its size, but is a small place with a New Age flavor.

If anyone else has some advice for where Robin might land, she'd love to hear from you.

cccmedia in Quito

Agreed, Cuenca, home of the next president, is best.