New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourself here - 1st quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Belize forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Belize if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourself here continues below!

I am new to the forum,I live in Eagle Creek Oregon and visiting Belize until February.I do hope it work out

Hi - I'm Vic. Hubby & I are from Upstate NY (near the Canadian Border) and have been to Belize once, probably a decade ago. We drove the whole country and really enjoyed ourselves. We're looking more seriously at spending all next winter there, assessing it for being our retirement home. Just dipping my toes into the blog, checking out what's going on, looking to learn from you all the ins and outs, what's good, what's not so good. So I may be just a "lurker" for awhile before chiming in!  Thank you for welcoming me.

Hi,
     I'm starting a five year program to start my retirement in Belize. I know, the real estate people want me to make a decision earlier, like as in today, but I want to do all my research and thinking first. Right now I live in Iowa and it's about 8 degrees outside. I want to live in a warmer climate. I served in the Navy for a while and traveled to Hawaii, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Korea, Australia, India and Vietnam.  I also want to be able to travel to and from the good ol' USA, and want to keep my car. I'm thinking of driving to Belize and Panama to check things out sometime in the next two years.

Hi, Marty here from rural NW Oklahoma. Husband & I LOVE to travel especially throughout the Caribbean. I have been researching Belize for retirement for a solid 8 years. We STILL have yet to visit. 😏 Made plans then grand babies arrived and we adjusted our schedule.  We plan to retire within the next 3-5 years. We have a bad case of wunderlust and plan to ACTUALLY visit Belize, Panama and Costa Rica before we settle on a spot. We love the idea of Belize because of the proximity to the States and Mexico and for many other reasons but we are wary of the cost of living expenses that we see posted... Such a drastic range! So looking forward to learning more here. Thanks for the opportunity!

This reminds me of my summer 2014 - traveled to Belize, Mexico, Roatan (Honduros), Costa Rica and Panama looking for a place to settle.  Just purchased a property in Belize.   Had an amazing summer!!!

Hi,

My name's Rob and I'm taking early retirement (52) beginning in 37 (work) days.  I hope to arrive (Ambergris) the first week of May and stay, for 6 months to check it out.  I'm retired govt law enforcement and a little beat after working 31 years and raising three boys.  :)  I am arriving with what i can fit in a big suitcase and a pack.  I wish to wander around and see Caulker as well, but the lifestyle in Ambergris sounds pretty compatible for me.  Any thoughts are welcome.. thanks.

It has always been my plan to retire in Belize.We live in BC canada where we moved to 12years ago from the UK.We love the place but although the summers are wonderful and hot  we see too much snow for me in the winter....We have always loved to travel and have been to many countries..on researching Belize I feel it would be perfect for us.
So now begins our 5-10 year plan. choices are to buy land and build, or rent.......I feel before we spend the money and settle somewhere we should explore the whole island.We dont really want a built up area, somewhere quiet with an ocean view, 2-3 bedrooms house...would appreciate any advise on this. We plan to visit at some point this year.
Carolyn n Neil

Carolyn n Neil - There is much more to Belize than just the cayes. I hope you'll explore the mainland as well! Good luck!

Hi Brigitte
yes we want to explore all parts..Where abouts are you situated?

We are in the Unitedville area, between Belmopan and San Ignacio, and when not in Belize, Canmore, Alberta.

How long do you do in each?

Hi,

We are visiting Belize in a couple months and hoping to move there eventually. I have spent a lot of time researching the country and the culture. I am not a retiree, Im in my 30s. I am hoping to volunteer with some youth groups/programs there and am hoping to find a friendly, mellow community to live. Any and all info is appreciated! Thank you.

Carolyn n Neil - about 5 months in Belize, the rest in Canada.

Check out San Ignacio area. There seem to be lots of schools in the area so volunteer opportunities everywhere.  Also, check out the children's home/orphanage between belmopan and San Ignacio for volunteering.  We stopped there on our last visit and they use volunteers in lots of programs.
Good Luck!

Good Morning! Did you rent the car in Cancun? So, many members giving us information; it sometimes becomes confusing. We are flying into Cancun 4/7. Another question; if we don't plan on seeing the country in our first visit, should we even rent a car? Bike, Public transportation?

Yes, we rented a car in Cancun last month.  American Car Rental was the only one we could find that allows to take car into Mexico.  We had no problems.

We have flown into Cancun and taken bus to Chetumal/Corozal border, no problems either.  We then took water taxi to Ambergris Caye.

Obviously if you really want to explore, I would recommend renting car.  There are numerous options with bus routes, but restricted to their routes and schedules.  If it's a "tourist trip" the buses would be fine, but if an exploration trip to consider moving....I would rent a car.

Hope that helped....p/m me if we can help with other questions.

Hi all,

We are a couple of European families who wish to relocate to Central America. Panama seemed a good idea until not so long ago, but the heated battles going on in their Parliament over the immigration topic discouraged us a lot (on top of other business-related issues).

Belize is the next on our list and we are planning a prospecting visit next month: check out possible areas to live in, the land prices and the facilities nearby.

Any well-balanced critics and recommendations are welcomed.

Best regards,
Teo

Thank You,
Having the first of our moving sales this weekend. Have a fabulous weekend! Robert

We want to find somewhere that has an ocean view, doesnt have to be a large property definitely want to downsize...any ideas on places to look...doesnt have to be where there are lots of expats,or really built up areas.where is it best to avoid? anywhere that there could be trouble I just watched the video about McAfee. Also have people found it easier to get furniture and household things in Belize rather than ship it all from Canada and USA

Welcome! I would suggest you read some of the earlier posts on this thread/topic, particularly those of Dr Al. His point of view is not the same as many of those you will read here, but he is honest and truthful. It may give you more insight as to the workings in Belize. He and Spiceman39 and I, have had some conversations relative to the attributes and personalities of those who move to Belize, as well as the opportunities and resources available. We don't all agree, and there is a large diversity of opinions about Belize, mostly based on personal experience, but everyone seems to coexist without any major problems.

Hello Cazza1964,

This thread is for new members in Belize to introduce themselves.

I suggest you create a new one in the Belize Forum and have a look at divers discussions see whether there are somes on your subjects.

Thank  you,

Marjorie

Hi!

I am a teacher from England who has just found a job in San Pedro at the Island Academy...now I need to sort work permits, teaching licence, place to live and everything else!!! Has anyone got any advice on the matter, or fancies a hello in a nice bar in the San Pedro area once I get there in August?!

Thanks, Erica :)

After many years of saving up the money, we finally have enough to sustain ourselves as a tourist for many years.  We have been interested in Belize due to its close proximity to the United States as I am a disabled Veteran.  Some days I can walk unassisted, some days I use a walker, some days a wheelchair.  I have a service dog, but I understand that the ADA is only recognized in the United States so I don't know how my service dog (who acts as my walker) would be accepted by the country.

I have gone through many certifications and was a part of my dogs training from day one and could volunteer to assist others in training their service dogs.  I also have an extensive background in AGRI culture and would of course want a small self sufficient farm to assist those that live local.  Not only with a paying job, but also to take portions of the harvest back to their villages. 

While I have been raised in a Capitalist environment my whole life, I have always felt that sharing and exchanging goods and services would serve a community far better than the exchange of money.  Though money is needed for aspects of ones life. 

I have read so much on the co-ops for chocolate and vanilla are flourishing and I would love to take part of that as well as to assist in schools.  My friends here in the United States would be more than happy to send books, pencils and more to aid in building up schools....all in all.  I want to SLOW DOWN from the rat race and know that each of my actions and abilities are worth far more in a volunteer method rather than a capitalist method. 

I also have a huge interest in the "old ways" verses the modern day of going down to IKEA.  I was raised by parents that survived the great depression as farmers and didn't lose any land in the process.

Anyhow, lots of ramblings, what I am looking for is a slower paced life where my $1,000 extra to spend each month makes the biggest impact improving the lives of others and giving those that don't have the opportunity to realize and achieve dreams to do so.

hello to you all My name is David and I am from Nova Scotia. My family and I are thinking of moving to Belize I have a pension of around 2400 Canadian would that be enough for my family of 4 to live a good life there . I would like to rent a place where I can grow my own food and be close to the beaches to . If anyone can give me more info on it i would be greatful

Hi,
I'm Jim R from Sunbury, Ohio were we are having the coldest winter since 1978.  I'm a science educator who will be retiring in 2 years.  I am in the process of looking for my retirement home and am interested in Belize.  I will be in San Pedro from 3/20 - 3/27 and would to meet with and talk to some expats on the island.  Looking forward to seeing some of you.

Hello There,
I am also a Navy Retiree and plan to move to Belize. Let's stay in touch. Private e mail is [email protected].
I currently live in San Diego CA a Navy town. I am looking at Northern Belize, maybe one day we can do some house hunting together.

Hello There,

I am aspired by your post. I am also a disable Veteran, with plans to move to Belize at the end of 2015. Hope to meet you.

I would like that Backthat. I'll be in touch.

Hi, I am a new member on here.  I will visiting Belize the end of April and first of May. I've been researching and reading other blog sites for about a year.  Retirement is in the next 2 to 3 years depending on what I find and my work situation.  I live and work in central Texas, really looking forward to finding a place to relax at a slower pace and a beach.  Would love to find other singles in the area that can give me advice on what to do and where to visit. 
Thanks, Leann

Hello! We live in B.C. Canada and are beginning our research into retiring in Belize. We would love to talk to Canadians who are presently in Belize. Am interested in knowing info on the legal side of Canada's pension plan...can we live there and still get benefits? Also, any feedback on areas where you are living...will be visiting sometime in the next 2 years. Thanks, and looking forward to meeting some new friends who are living in Belize!
Cheryl and Blake

Hello I am poppylon I too am a disabled veteran. We are moving to Corozal at the end of August.  My goal is that my wife and I spend the rest of our live in peace and harmony. Helping and holding a good relationship with all my neighbors. We are very simple people. see you expats in September.

Hi, my name is Khepera, my wife Carmela and  I are in the process of purchasing a 30 acre property in Belize for our retirement. the property is located in the Toledo district. I have a very good friend from Belize, who has been a tremendous help to us as we are been going through the buying process.

We visited Belize a few times before making the decision to purchase. I'm originally from Trinidad, which has a lot of  in common with Belize, both from a positive and negative. However, while I still have family and friends in Trinidad, the land prices in are pretty astronomical, and was no longer affordable for us. We plan on being in Belize in May/June of this year to start working on our property.

Hi my name is Fay would like  to visit and maybe live in Belize, just looking for some info

My wife and I are moving to Corozal the 1st of September 2015. I too am a disabled veterans.
[email protected]

Hello,
My girlfriend & i r coming to belize in may. We r retired, & looking 4 our last place to land. We have done our research, & understand the down-sides of belize. But the good seems to outweigh the bad. Would appreciate any input/info from expats.

:/   Hey, this girl is sick of cold, not afraid to work, pretty sure I will not be continuing my career in nursing in Belize, what to do for a living?  Need to know how to begin my persuit of knowledge? My quest? Is Belize the peaceful place for me?
Any and all advice tips considered.  Looking fowrard to this adventure!

hello I am a certified Medical assistant and would love to move to Belize and continue my career

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=462006

Thanks!

Closed