Ecuador is suing Sharon Stone

Well, actually, Ecuador's PR firm in New York is suing her. But I liked that headline better.

As most of you know, Ecuador has been in a long-running battle with Chevron over the oil company's alleged responsibility for environmental damage in the Amazon. One of Ecuador's tactics has been to bring a bunch of celebrities to Ecuador to be photographed dipping their hands in oily water and saying nasty things about Chevron to the accompanying media.

Among those in the celebrity parade have been Mia Farrow, Jacques Cousteau's granddaughter, Danny Glover, and Sharon Stone. Except that Stone was a no-show, and she didn't return the $250k Ecuador paid her.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/ecuadors-p … ron-stone/

Top surprises in the lawsuit against Sharon Stone:

1. The Brooklyn, NY, public relations firm suing Stone never had a written agreement for her appearances -- only an oral agreement.

2. Chevron currently has no assets in Ecuador.

3. An Ecuador court doubled the original $9-billion dollar judgment against Chevron.

4. A U.S. Federal Court ruled that the judgment was obtained by fraud and coercion.

5. In the lawsuit against Stone, the PR firm -- McSquared -- alleges that not only did Stone keep the 275K in appearance fees, but an additional 77K was paid to her booking agency for her "diva-like requests," including luxury hotel accommodations for her and three companions.

sources:  New York Daily News, Washington Beacon

(Note:  Due to a glitch in the EB System, Report #2 has been repeated.)

Top surprises in the lawsuit against Sharon Stone:

1. The Brooklyn, NY, public relations firm suing Stone never had a written agreement for her appearances -- only an oral agreement.

2. Chevron currently has no assets in Ecuador.

3. An Ecuador court doubled the original $9-billion dollar judgment against Chevron.

4. A U.S. Federal Court ruled that the judgment was obtained by fraud and coercion.

5. In the lawsuit against Stone, the PR firm -- McSquared -- alleges that not only did Stone keep the 275K in appearance fees, but an additional 77K was paid out for her "diva-like requests," including luxury hotel accommodations for her and three companions.

$275k for Sharon Stone? So I guess Zsa Zsa Gabor was unavailable for the gig?

Miss Gabor, who turned 98 this month (b. Feb. 6,1917), has experienced health problems in recent years. (Wikipedia)

The former actress, socialite and Miss Hungary of 1936 is no longer making celebrity appearances in South America.

.

BobH wrote:

Well, actually, Ecuador's PR firm in New York is suing her. But I liked that headline better.

As most of you know, Ecuador has been in a long-running battle with Chevron over the oil company's alleged responsibility for environmental damage in the Amazon. One of Ecuador's tactics has been to bring a bunch of celebrities to Ecuador to be photographed dipping their hands in oily water and saying nasty things about Chevron to the accompanying media.

Among those in the celebrity parade have been Mia Farrow, Jacques Cousteau's granddaughter, Danny Glover, and Sharon Stone. Except that Stone was a no-show, and she didn't return the $250k Ecuador paid her.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/ecuadors-p … ron-stone/

She is one of the Rainy Day Women

"But I would not feel so all alone, everybody must get STONED"

Bob Dylan

The original case against Chevron has been one of the most interesting I've ever followed (I know of at least two books that have been written about it). It looks like this minor side-skirmish may also be interesting:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es … -pr-783624

Stone's lawyers say she never agreed to say/do anything against Chevron, and bring up that Ecuador's PR firm was cited for failing to register as agents of a foreign government as required by US law (true, though irrelevant to the issue).

Both sides have brought forth copies of the alleged agreement, in which there are significant differences. The PR firm says Stone's copy is a forgery, with traced signatures.

Pass the popcorn. This could be lots of fun to watch.