Moving to Kuwait from Australia in mid to late March

Hi
I have taken up an offer to work in Kuwait, hopefully for the next few years.
Currently I am waiting to finalise my NOC paperwork, this should be in the 3-4 weeks(taken 3 months so far).
I will be working near the refineries and as I have a fairly healthy life style I am hoping to find information on the following;
1/ Organic produce, shops markets etc
2/ Yoga studio for men
3/ As I am a keen Thai boxer a personnel trainer twice a week for a good cardio/pad work out
4/ Any useful advice for a new comer to Kuwait(I have worked in Islamic countries before but not the Middle East and I am very respectful of there culture and religion)
Thank you all in advance.
Cheers
Dale

U can get 'just about' anything here you can get anywhere else... just have to be willing to pay the prices they'll want for it.  Organic foods are triple or more the typical products of the region, and just because something is labeled as such does not actually insure it 'as being so' in this environment... but you'll still pay the price for the labeling.  (Yoga) They'll be plenty of private opportunities, for again a price... same with boxing... Muai Thai (specific) may be difficult to find, but wouldn't surprise me if you found it somewhere here (maybe in one of the MMA style clubs). 

Advice... hmmmm... (for first timers) if you make it through the first six months you'll be fine, relax, settle in, and life will normalize to a degree.

Thank you for your comments.
I thought as much as prices here in Australia are high for decent organic foods, but its better than living 100% on camp food.
Will look at the gyms when I get settled.
Cheers
Dale

1/ Organic produce, shops markets etc
Depending on where you stay, there are fresh fruit/veg places all around... some more "healthy" than others.  I prefer to buy from a retail outlet such as Sultan Centre or Dean & Delucca, but they can be a bit expensive.  Other people would go to their local bakala's (small little shops you get everywhere), and find their produce their.  As there are no prices on items on the bakala's products (mostly), I always feel like I have to argue the price down as they over charge me. 

2/ Yoga studio for men
There are plenty gyms here for men only, however the services are mostly limited to aerobic cycles and free weight sections.  I belong to the more expensive gyms which includes a small sauna, pool, Jacuzzi and steam room.  I haven't seen yoga studio's around here, but you can find it if you search.  You will have to be mobile - thus spend lots on taxis or have your own car.

3/ As I am a keen Thai boxer a personnel trainer twice a week for a good cardio/pad work out
My gym above has boxing as well but it is mainly for the young kiddies while the daddies sit and watch.  At the Blu Raddison hotel they offer Aikido which I used to do back in my country.  I am looking to join there soon.  Again, travel is important between the areas. 

4/ Any useful advice for a new comer to Kuwait
HAVE PATIENCE... Its Ku...wait-for-it- WAIT... Learn some basic Arabic, and don't think this is the West. Most people are very friendly and love to talk to foreigners.  Also, have a sense of humour

Best of luck here and stay happy, healthy and wealthy.

Hi and thank you for a most pleasant and informative response.
I will have my own transport so once I get settled it sounds like I should be able to venture out and find what I need.

Hi, I have been Kuwait one month and am employed as a Personal Trainer. I have done Kickboxing myself and can do the Pad work and C.V element of your training.

Best
Kodie

Hi Kodie
Thank you for your message, send me your contact details and when I arrive in about 4 weeks or so I can contact you and see how far we are from each other.
Cheers
Dale

Organic produces will cost you an arm, leg and a liver here so stock up on dry goods before you arrive! The organic products at the Sultan Center can be a little dodgy and I question whether they're really organic or not sometimes but if you buy known imported brands you'll be fine just expect to pay triple (well maybe double for you) for it here. Dean & DeLuca is always a safe bet too but it's inside a mall which makes grocery shopping unpleasant when you have to haul all your groceries through crowds just to leave  :blink:

I have yet to see a yoga studio for men here... they all same to be catered towards women and if you're into hot yoga don't bother looking. I've tried and it doesn't exist here they only have "warm" yoga.

Make friends as quickly as you can it will make Kuwait much more enjoyable :) good luck!

Hi
Thank you for your advice.
I have always worked away but not in Kuwait, its nice to be able to maintain a lifestyle but in a new country
you tend to feel like a fish out of water for a while.
As I will be living in camp I have no idea what the food is going to be like so I need to have back up plans.
Thanks again
Cheers
DAle

Hello
Welcome to kuwait
Am living here in kuwait since 4 years
If you need anything just inform me

Thank you

dear dale, allow us to alleviate your food worries; there exists a website here that was recently on the news as it was sold to a German giant tank for a whopping KD50Million i.e. Eur 150 Million.. it is known as talabat.com, and they deliver all over kuwait. any cuisine you fancy.

i'm happy how everyone jumped at the opportunity ot provide you with answers, does my heart joy to see expats that were once asking questions now giving answers, you guys made my day :')

there was one question with a missing answer tho so i'll provide that:

there is an organic produce place in hawalli off the 3rd ring road (excuse the current jargon, i swear it will all make perfect sense to you once you get here) at Plaza complex, right behind it, i heard it on good authority from a kuwaiti athlete friend of mine that they are the real deal.

as for yoga, look up my good friend Terri Alexander on google, she literally brought yoga to kuwait.

useful info: do not pack much winter clothing, winter is officially gone from kuwait - if you are particular to a certain brand of sunscreen to bring it along in good quantity till you can find it locally or find a replacement. if you are not a keen caffeine junkie, start slowly introducing it into your system as it is the way of the land here; all courtesy is provided via hot beverages (not just when people are sad like Big Bang Theory - Sheldon).

best of luck ;)

Hi
Thank you for all of your advice and information.
I agree with you completely, having worked in other countries before its nice to see expats offering detailed advice.
I am going to start looking through your contact suggestions know.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Dale

Thanks for the referral @legacy
🙏😊

Hi Dale Ive sent you a PM with my details

I was there for 12 months and had a really good time .There are some organic produce but is very expensive sold at M&S nroff salmia. Going to indoor market have fully stocked range of eat and western food.1 tip take long sleeve tops and good gloves to were during the day as every thing metal will burn your skin. Officially it never gets over 50°c but we had a few days in desert were it read 54.

[Moderated: For your own safety, please do not post any personal informations, for accomodation, thank you to post in Housing in Kuwait section.  Thank you]

HI
Not sure what you mean by PM with your details?
Cheers
DAle

Private message

HI
Thanks for clearing that up, hadn't heard that abbreviation before.
Where did it go to as I have not seen anything as yet?
Got all my final paper work through yesterday so just waiting for travel details, should be in the next couple of weeks.
Cheers
Dale