What level of Hungarian do i have to learn for citizenship?

Hi,

I'm American of Hungarian descent, grandfather and one side of his family from Budapest, the other side from northern Hungary. I have wanted Hungarian citizenship and to live in Europe for a long time, but couldn't move to Hungary then. Now that they're offering simplified naturalization, that's perfect for me. I've requested the various documents from Hungary and I think I'll have the paperwork in order reasonably soon.

My concern is the language requirement. (I speak none and have to learn.)  I'm generally good at languages but intimidated by Hungarian since its reputation is that it's very hard for native English speakers. Mostly, I'm wondering how much Hungarian you need to speak.

It sounds like they've gotten much stricter in recent months, and I'm wondering if anyone has any perspective on the level of Hungarian I need to learn before I can apply for citizenship. I don't want to hurt my chances by applying with too little fluency, but I also don't want to spend years and thousands of dollars studying before I apply if I don't need to. I've looked everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be any information of a practical nature about how good your Hungarian needs to be. "Have a conversation" is a very squishy standard.

All advice, perspective, and good ideas welcome!

Thanks very much.

Sorry I have no idea what level of Hungarian they want at immigration for Hungary.
If you have a chance to move here before getting citizenship then perhaps a crash course in Hungarian over here might be an answer.
You might be able to get a student visa and use that to stay in HU long term while you learn the language.
If you have the money to come over and not work then my guess would be you could live alright  on say $1,000 a month total, maybe less maybe more if you eat out allot.
When our son got his HU citizenship through his father, he could not speak any HU and still lived in the US.
This was awhile ago though, more then 15 years ago. Guess the rules are getting tougher, not sure why as I have heard the population is getting lower over here, you might think they would prefer people who are HU to move back rather then people with no family connections to the land.
Who knows what the gov. agenda is.
If you have not ever visited HU before, I would suggest coming over for at least 120 days and seeing if it actually will suit you to live here.

Hello futpar and welcome on board Expat.com

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Hungary forum to help you get more interactions.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you Kenjee and Marilyn Tassy for your helpful replies. I can't spend more than a few weeks away right now (have to work), so I hope to learn Hungarian well in Hungary later but need to pass the citizenship process here in the US first, since long-term stays in Hungary are in the future. I appreciate the warm welcome and useful advice! Thanks!