Is bottled water illegal?

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/n … led-water/

Jakarta. Indonesia's second-largest Muslim organization, Muhammadiyah, has called on private firms to stop selling bottled water after the Constitutional Court revoked in its entirety the 2004 Water Resources Law, which regulates such sales.

“We welcome this decision and are grateful that our judicial review was accepted [by the court],” Muhammadiyah chairman Din Syamsuddin said.

Muhammadiyah was one of the plaintiffs in the suit alongside another group and a number of individuals...
...The now-defunct law, the court ruled, allowed private firms and individuals to control this resource.

Assuming this goes to the point where bottled water is deemed illegal, and it looks like it could be, I suppose the supply will just get imported from Malaysia or somewhere, so Indonesians lose jobs and industry for no gain.
I'm struggling to see any advantage in ditching this law.
Anyone got any ideas?

I suppose heaven and hell will get some more guests if people are forced to drink untreated water.
It'll keep the funeral business going.

Just another great example of what is wrong in this country. However, I cant see Aqua ceasing production just yet. Clearly its another way to reduce foreign investment in the country through some less than future thinking rich people who obviously do not drink water or any solution containing treated H20 fit for human consumption and therefore assume no one else needs to drink it either.

I hear so much negative things happening in Indonesie. Why they make a stupid rule like this?

I have no idea of the reasoning behind it, but it can only be a bad thing for Indonesians.
If the companies are forced to stop production, Indonesians will lose their jobs, and water supplies will be imported.
That'll very probably mean a price rise, so the vast majority of Indonesians will lose out.

Fred, why do you even bother to post this nonsense?   ;)

Ubudian wrote:

Fred, why do you even bother to post this nonsense?   ;)

Explain where the striking down of a law is nonsense, especially one that could have serious results.
For some odd reason, a few groups are trying to destroy the local clean water industry.
I fail to see the advantage for anyone in this move.
All loss but no gain, save smugness and arrogance for a couple of already powerful groups.

You've been living here long enough to not take your own quote seriously:

"Assuming this goes to the point where bottled water is deemed illegal, and it looks like it could be, I suppose the supply will just get imported from Malaysia or somewhere, so Indonesians lose jobs and industry for no gain."

That's not going to happen, you know it, so why the tabloid "journalism" style comments about it?

Ubudian wrote:

You've been living here long enough to not take your own quote seriously:

"Assuming this goes to the point where bottled water is deemed illegal, and it looks like it could be, I suppose the supply will just get imported from Malaysia or somewhere, so Indonesians lose jobs and industry for no gain."

That's not going to happen, you know it, so why the tabloid "journalism" style comments about it?

link in OP wrote:

Indonesia's second-largest Muslim organization, Muhammadiyah, has called on private firms to stop selling bottled water

The probability of an enforced close down is limited, but these groups are after it.
It's the "Why the merry hell are they trying to do it?" that makes the story, not the law being revoked.
As for the tabloid comments - well, I am a published journalist now. :D

PS

from OP link wrote:

“Now it is time to empower the local community so that they can manage their resources well to their benefit,” he said.

Sounds like something from a communist manifesto.

However, I've heard of cases in other countries where large multinationals take too much water, depriving the locals of a supply.
http://www.worldcrunch.com/poisoning-we … O-aR_mUeSo
Are they cases of this in Indonesia?

Is bottled water illegal?

Well, I don't know about there in Indonesia, but it sure as heck should be illegal here in Brazil!!!

Despite the fact that this country has laws coming out their ears, there is ZERO enforcement and less than ZERO government oversight of anything. Milk gets adulterated and pumped full of nasty things like caustic soda with alarming regularity. Gasoline is diluted with more alcohol than is permitted by law. Food products are still put on sale long past their expiry date. Beef, pork and poultry of the most dubious origins is sold freely everywhere.

So as far as bottled water goes here in this country, we're forced to simply take it on faith that the 20 L plastic jug (that's supposed to be mineral water) we buy for our homes didn't just come straight from the tap in some small town that has no water treatment whatsoever.

At least if it were illegal here then we'd have to import it from countries that have much stricter controls over what we put into our bodies.

Cheers,
James

Where I come from, this things can happen when a rich politician wants a monopoly for his family. If bottled water becomes illegal then maybe a powerful politician will give the monopoly of importing bottled water to his family members. I only thought that this things happend in South America.