Multiple Passport Issues

Could anyone who has multiple passports (either from different countries or from the same country) advise me if it is possible to enter a country using one of the two passports and then leave using the other one.   For example, if you send the passport which has your entry stamp to some other foreign embassy to get a visa, are you unable to use the other one to travel somewhere else before your first passport is returned?

If not, when you arrive at the next country, do they check to see if you have a valid exit stamp from the country you just left?    Does it matter whether you arrive by land or by air?   

The thing which I am wondering about is how do you get your second passport into the flow of things. 

Thanks to anyone who has any experience with these matters.

You have to use the same passport to enter and leave one country. Once you leave you are free to use the 2nd passport at ur next stop.

I travel often and use multiple passports.

Thanks.  That sounds very promising. 

At the new country, they don't check to see that you have "legally" exited the country that you just left?  I guess you are saying that based on your experience the answer to that is no. 

Do you also have experience with land border crossings?

It happened me once that they want to see my other passport which I was carrying with me.

You have to think on which passport  you book  your flight (ticket) because there are some cases that the names can be different due the law of the country where its been issued.
Its kind of normal that there are persons who carries more than one passports.

About you other question: it depends very much on what passport you have. As you might know there are some passports you cant use to enter in certain countries.

Thanks Primadonna. 

Guidance from the US State Department reads (in part) "Generally, do not display both passports at the same time when crossing a border control point."   I take it that after you showed them passport #2, they allowed you to use passport #1 to enter their country.