List of Prohibited Jobs for westerners in Thailand

Hello there,
I am from India and I have been studying Thai language in Pattaya for the last 1.5 year.
Recently, I have found a employer willing to hire me for the post of sales which requires excellent
english communication skills, which I have. Is it possible to apply for a sales agent's job for a real estate company?
I will most appreciate your feedback truly.
Best regards,
Bravo

bravo_7000 wrote:

Hello there,
I am from India and I have been studying Thai language in Pattaya for the last 1.5 year.
Recently, I have found a employer willing to hire me for the post of sales which requires excellent
english communication skills, which I have. Is it possible to apply for a sales agent's job for a real estate company?
I will most appreciate your feedback truly.
Best regards,
Bravo

Welcome to Expat.com.

Should not be a problem as long as you have a visa / work permit. Your employer should get this for you.

Hello Bravo:

As for your inquiry for working in Thailand.  Is your prospective employer willing to sponsor you for your position?  If so then your employer should go with you to immigration or hire local agent to ask them IF the position you are being offered is allowable for working there.  I would say YES but this is not my area of experience.  I have a friend in BKK that worked for a property development company out of Samui and think he had a valid work permit from his company.  So best to just go to immigration OR hire someone that specializes in processing expat work permit papers and related matters.

Good Luck
Bay

Hello Bay,
Thanks for your valuable advice.
Regards Bravo

Most welcome Bravo!  Good luck there in Pattaya.
Bay

Hi Bay,
Friend of mine is into real estate development and he would like to know if it is possible to post advertisement on this blog, in order to create public awareness.
Will truly appreciate your kind feedback,
Regards Bravo

Yes go under Housing in the tool bar for this site and there your friend should be able to advertise for his property.
Bay

Thanks Bravo

Does your friend just deal with property in Pattaya or other areas in Thailand?  I plan to return to Thailand maybe end of this year and will be looking for a small house or shop-house to rent in Bkk area.
Bay

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Sorry not interested in Pattaya at all!  Not my kind of place to live for sure or work.

Hi My Friends.

I have a question. Im architecture and live Iran. My work is 3D Modeling for Building with 3DMAX and Photoshop . I can work in this field in Banghkok ?

I would say yes but best to check with someone from Immigration or do some on-line research for work-activity restrictions for Thailand.  Do you have someone offering you a job already there?  The easiest way generally to do things like this IF you do not have a prospective employer is to establish a Thai company.  It is not that expensive and can be done in a few months.  You can own at least 49% of the company and this new company can give you all your residence and working papers.

Hi there. Thanks for the info. I have abandoned the idea of practicing ophthalmology in Thailand. Maybe Expats should open their own clinics so that I could work there on a voluntary base. Could this work? Surely there are other medical practitioners wanting to retire in LOS.

An expat MD cannot practice in LOS unless they have successfully taken the licensing exam given in written Thai.  So if you learn to read and write Thai then you can take the exam.  Good luck!

That's quite the list..
Are there any online jobs that you can do while living in Thailand?

JaSamJa wrote:

That's quite the list..
Are there any online jobs that you can do while living in Thailand?

Work is defined in a very broad spectrum in Thailand, even a volunteer working without pay do requires a legal work permit, same is true for online work.

I am a foreigner working in a Law Office with a work permit
Many of our customers are foreigners working in the tourism industry with work permits

Several of my friends work farms in the north of Thailand

Hi All,

And Automotive Engineering ? Anyone knows of an Expat legally doing Automotive Electronic repairs and Aircon Servicing on vehicles ?

This will be interesting having more info on this....

Cheers All :top:

hi
you need to start your own company or have another company support your work permit
thats the only way

I think a lot of people are dreamers...
I don't claim to be any type of expert but it seems to me to be a pretty Thai only society....work wise.
And for good reason of course...

Thailand, and Asia in general is getting much harder for expats to find work in. Seems that teaching English is a popular job, but low paid and you must have qualifications.
Automotive engineering type work is done by locals due to Thailand having a thriving auto industry.
Civil construction, mining, engineering jobs all done by well trained locals.

Next year the ASEAN community will be allowed to work in the LAW catagory
So I guess its changing all the time

You can work online still though, for sure. You just have to do visa runs every 30 days?

cess0125 wrote:

You can work online still though, for sure. You just have to do visa runs every 30 days?

If you know this why did you ask if you can work remotely in Thailand in another thread?

i technically don't know anything. I was just clarifying.

How about working for an airline or ground handler at the airport?
Is that possible for a foreigner, who only speaks English?

Thailand prohibited jobs are not for westerners only but all foreigners. Asians are included too likewise for Aussies and Kiwis or Africans.

Chances are probably less than 0% unless you own a specific company that handles these services.

make this a maybe as things here in Thailand are very uncertain

incredible. they want to protect the thai people. gg

When the free trade Asean kicks in the these jobs can be done by people from member countries - including Lawyer work

it is difficult as normally 1 work permit require 4 Thai worker
and they may not be good workers

Is there any factory work for an American? Can I do home repairs or would that be construction?

randydraper14 wrote:

Is there any factory work for an American? Can I do home repairs or would that be construction?

No to both.

yes if
you could be a manager or a CEO in a factory or construction company
but the factory or construction company would need to sponsor your work permit
or you could set up your own

you can have a look at Treaty of Amity as there maybe something there for you
as an American Citizen

You can work online, perhaps as a consult, many Expats do this or you can teach English in a private school, not many jobs in Thailand for Expats.  I would try to save some money & come for a visit, before you move here. There are many other Asian countries I would check out,  Malasya, Loas, Cambodia, also very cheap to live, and maybe easier to live there. Good Luck.

I would strongly suggest you get in contact with one of the companies in Bkk that helps expats with all kinds of personal and business related matters for living, marrying, investing or working in Thailand.  I have no vested interest in the company Sunbelt Asia that has a big operation there in BKK but I have used them myself for business related matters and was 90% satisfied with their work. 

As for construction related matters, I would say that probably would be doubtful UNLESS you had your own company and that line of work was NOT restricted in Thailand.  Some lines of work are very restricted for Expats to have ownership in and others not.

Do your homework and maybe there is something there for you.

sorry, is that your job?

or your financial position

if you work you need a work permit
thats it

"how about if you are supporting to your Thai Wife?"

I do not understand your question?  Supporting to your Thai Wife?