Moving to Mumbai

Hi  I am Abbee from Sydney Australia.

I am living in Sydney and moving to Mumbai on 15 April for about a year. I am here on some business in Mumbai, . Can anyone on this forum assist  in general housing, guidance in getting around the city, good pubs etc.

Dear Abbee,

I can assist you in these matters without spending any extra efforts- as this is being done for another blog member- starting today. Obviously this is free of cost. He has already arrived in Mumbai from U.S.

Emailing a copy of this email to your PM box with contact details.
Best wishes,
Art.

Hi

My email address is [email protected] mail me if u want any info

Yes, sure. I can help you with all the information you require in regards with housing, guidance in getting around the city, good pubs, and a lot more.

- facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152574016236954&set=a.10151350619556954.1073741825.722646953&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

Heyy Abbee ,
I am Divya i stay in Mumbai you can mail me i will guide you accordingly . My mail ID is [email protected]

Hi Divya,

Thanks for your response

Once the dates are finalized, i will touch-base with you

Appreciate your time and help.

Regards

Abbee

Hey Abbee,
       You are most welcome .

Hello Divya S P Carrasco,

It would be helpful from you if you could share your informations on the forum for all the members.

Thank you
Yuveshen

Housing, as you may know is very expensive and very difficult.   Preet and Michael from Brannigan Relocations (Office no. 51, 5th Floor, West View Building, Above Citibank, Linking Road, Khar (West), Mumbai, Maharashtra 400052
Phone:022 2604 5401) were truly a relief for us since looking for a house in India can be a so trying.  Beach front is much more expensive. Carter Road is the best.  Where ever you decide to live, you must be very patient and not give up.  Very seldom will you get a good place with no problems....I have never, ever heard it happen. Most, if not all houses have all kinds of problems, especially wall seepage, regardless of how much you pay.  You might see a beautiful home freshly painted but don't believe anyone who tells you there is not seepage.  Within months, if not weeks, you will see the patches starting to form and the paint falling.  Just make sure that the owners will repaint the walls when you call to have the wall redone.  To get an independent house (they call them bungalows here in Mumbai) is not easy. I saw a couple and they were old and dark.  You can get very nice high rise apartments in Powai which is much cleaner and open located towards the north of Mumbai.  But if you like walking to a restaurants (very goods ones here) or to the shops, Bandra West might be better.  Lots of noise and traffic though. We are in the 6th floor of an 8th floor building.  I could not live in a very high place. Once you start working with Michael and Preet, if you decide to use them, you will get the field for what you can expect.  They will make sure that your contract includes all the issues which are important to you. One tip, make sure you walk around the building.  Look at the streets.  Is there a restaurant next door?  Then you most likely will have to endure or enjoy the smells.  Is there a temple close by? Then it will be noisy during the Hindu celebrations.

I need a studio apartment(2 rooms) or 1 BHK(3 rooms)full furnished and clean in Andheri (E) for 4 months.Need it as of yesterday.
The requirement is for 4 months only.It is for an expat friend who is working in Andheri East.

@ arthand > It would be great if you can post an ad in the Flats for rent in Mumbai section, it is the most appropriate section for your search.

-----------------------
@ All > Anyone else can give some hints about good pubs, places to visit etc as these are things that the author would like to know as well.

Thanks

Priscilla :)

Please go through the housing sites also like magicbricks.com u will find some thing for you and also you can post ads in olx and quiker. com

Hi Abbee and all,
I m from Italy and I m moving to Mumbai in a couple of weeks too. Every informations could be useful For me :) . Probably my company Will find For me an apartment in Bandra but I don't Know if west or east...how is the expat life there?
Thanks For every informations :)

(Moderated: no free ads here please + register in the business directory )

I think you will enjoy the place if you get a room in Bandra west from your company. Nice place with lots of places to things to do...let me know if you need more information.

hie powai hiranandani is a nice place. Please goggle it  and you will find all the details

Hi Abbee ,

i am giving you some suggestions about places where you can visit when you are in Mumbai......... :)

1. Matheran: local trains ply on the Mumbai(DADAR) - Karjat/ Khapoli (Via Neral) route frequently. You need to take a local train on the central line in Mumbai going to Karjat/ Khapoli and get off at Neral. From neral take the toy train to matheran.. there is a taxi stand nearby the neral railway station you can get a shared taxi/van from there to matheran (prepaid booth is also there).. You'll have to walk a lot to see this place around.. lots of directions are placed inside matheran so finding your way will be easy.. Take the toy tain at east once - u can also book it in advance, please do that cause the rush is enormous for the train.
Nothing more than a broad hill top with lots of trees.. You also get various flavors of Chikki, local honey, fudge's (Chocolate and fruit flavours etc.).

2. Bordi: Nearest railhead is Dhanu Road, which is just 3 km away from Bordi town. Auto rickshaw is the cheap travel available, with a fare of less than Rs 20. for Dhanu road take a western line train.. its beyond virar so u might can take a long distance train.. cause most locals would terminate at virar..
The beauty of the place lies in the quiet sea beach, and the surrounding chikoo orchards. It also happens to be a safe beach, where the water does not rise above the waist for at least half a kilometre. The water however is black due to the dark sand and a little polution.

3. Borivalli national park:  take a train to borivalli -western line.. From borivalli get an auto it'll take around 20 Rs to leave u at the national park.. Nothing worth seeing in wildlife.. you may take a toy train ride encompassing the park and then move to kahana caves - a nice unexplored trekking spot.. you can get a mini bus to the foot of the caves from the gate of the park.. remember the park closes at 6 in the evening..

4. Kashid & Murud: Wonderful beaches.. From alibag take a bus/auto to kashid. Stay there till evening.. Do not stay late as there is nothing even close to the beach. by sunset (probly before) move to murud.. you may find a bus plying to murud from the road adjoining the beach.. though it may take sometime before it comes along.. In murud u can look for a place to stay in one of the houses of the people living along the beach.. Its cheap.. breakfast/lunch/dinner can be found in one of the restaurants adjoining the beach.. a night walk on the beach is refreshing.. and the morning swim is awesome.. To goto murud janjira - morning is actually the best time... around 8 - 8:30.. take an auto to the ferry junction and from there u'll get a boat to goto the island castle.

5. Alibaug : Alibaug is easy to get to in about 2 hours by the combination of a catamaran/ferry from Gateway of India (1.5 hours) and then by bus from Mandwa jetty to alibaug (30 mins).

Kolaba fort: A prime location, this fort is situated in the sea at a distance of 1-2 km from the Alibaug shores. One can walk to the fort in  at the time of low tide. Do not stay too long as u might not be able to return if high tide hits..
Akshi Beach: It is situated 5 km away from Alibaug nice beach.
Kihim Beach: Kihim is a private place at a distance of 12 km from Alibaug. The place is famous for intense cover of Coconut trees and forests which house butterflies, birds and flowers.
Mandawa: The catamaran/ferry services are available from Mumbai to the Mandawa jetty and back. this is were u'll alight from the ferry. U can have some fun with the speed boats here..
Nagaon beach: Located about 7 km away from Alibaug, this place is famous for coconuts. Nice beach to play around in..

Most places in alibaug are one way travel destinations. while you can easily find transport to them returning will require u to walk to a main road or prime junction before u can get any transport.

remember, if you are returning from alibaug, better book a catmaran early and be at the bus stand in time to catch the bus to mandwa.

6. Mahabaleshwar: Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar via Mahad is 220 kms, take an overnight bus to reach mahabaleshwar early next morning. you can get freshened up quickly at sulabh complex near the bus stand, or take a hotel.
Mahabaleshwa is best travelled on a cycle. you get cycles on rent at very low prices from the market. Have breakfast before you go looking for them as most cycle shops dont open till 9. There is also a bakery in the market wth lots of cycles parked in front of it. If u happen not to find one in the market this is a sure shot way to get it.. Just ask the bakery owner for the number of the guy who owns the cycles.. Mind the breaks and air pressure in the tyres.. very important..

Hi,
That was a nice set of information.Useful to anyone who wants to go out but close to Mumbai.Wonder how ypu do it from Kathmandu.
By the way Matheran has horse rides,no cars,lake and apiaries amongst other things.
Thanks
Art

Hi Abbee

Places to live in Mumbai all depend on where you expect to be working or need to travel to most often. Traffic can be a bitch so my personal preference is to spend more time enjoying life than sitting stuck. :-)

There are lots of online housing sites to get you started - Look up Magic Bricks, Housing.com however local brokers still tend to be how you find the best places. Brokers shouldn't charge more than 1 month rent - and while the standard is 11 months you can get 12 month leases. Just be sure to use the online rates as a reference point so you know more or less what to expect.

As for amusing things to do? Ooodles! Again depends on the area you frequent most. I'm in Bandra so am a hope skip and jump away from all sorts of places. Also get out to Prithvi Theatre in Juhu for plays or NCPA in town quite a bit. Lower Parel with Cafe Zoe, blueFROG, Barking Deer is a good spot to hang out. Lots more which again - all depends on your preferences, budget and parts of the city you can most easily enjoy!

Good luck!