*WARNING* Be careful when withdrawing money from ATM's in BTS

*WARNING* Be careful when withdrawing money from ATM's in BTS

Today I saw a very suspicious activity in the BTS.
I got to the BTS this morning at 8,50 in OnNut, and I saw across the other side two guys with white clothes over their heads in two separate ATM machines, at first I thought maybe they were hot so I didn't give it much attention.

But when I came out in Phra Khanong station, they were there again, in two separate ATM machines again with the white clothes over their heads adjusting them so the ATM camera didn't get their faces.

I stood 10 meters away from them between the guard at the BTS and them, I wanted to say something, but I didn't know that much thai to say to the guard that I saw them 5 minutes earlier doing the same thing.

They were both dark skin, hairy legs, one tall around 1,85 wearing jeans shorts, white t shirt and black and grey backpack with brown sandals. The other was smaller, id say around 1,75 black shorts, dark blue t-shirt, black backpack, and black flippers.

They both had their backpack zippers open and reaching into them.

Im a graphic designer for a living, and I happen to have an almost photographic memory.

So since I didn't report it to the guards in the BTS station ( since I didn't know how to -  and didn't want to get in direct trouble with the very suspicious commuters) I am giving this warning to you in a way that I can fully express myself.

So, be careful, and always protect your 4 digit code from cameras within the ATM.

Very Good advise, thank you.

One thing I try to do is ALWAYS use an ATM at a bank, while it's open.  By doing that, if the machine 'eats my card', I can get an employee to 'regurgitate' it for me. And yes, it has happened.

I personally NEVER use an ATM, at say a 7/11 or a BTS stop.

~
Be careful, very very careful.

There are some people using skimming device to extract pin numbers from ATM machines.  This was done in Singapore and these people will withdraw money from ATM machines overseas. 

Fortunately the banks repay all the money to the account holders and stop any cash withdrawal from overseas.

Account holders who wish to withdraw cash overseas need to inform the bank first and they will unlock their atm card.

From what you said, these people might be trying to steal information from the atm machines like pin numbers.

Maybe this should be reported to the banks owning those ATMs, instead of security guards. Then let the banks deal with it.

I mean... if these guys are doing it on BTS, it's probable they're doing it on other locations as well, and a lot of people are gonna get f*cked.

Good to know, thank you

@ Santa, yes that be optimal, but not all banks have an accessible email address where to send the story. So i went directly and post it in Bangkok Post.

ATM skimming in Pattaya is quite common.

http://seattle99.wordpress.com/2012/02/ … ming-scam/

Thanks a million. All good advice here. I always make sure that my face is visible to the machine by removing eye ware and hat. Then before I put in my pin, I check the reflecting surfaces to see if there is a face behind me looking, or a hand held camera over my shoulder. Cannot be too careful. :D

Thank you so much for warning

We thank you for the post buddy.

This is a good suggestion. Also, try to have multiple bank accounts, the regular one with ATM card keep only needed amount. And the other without ATM card , you can keep the rest of your money. Hope this suggestion helps.

Thank you, useful topic.