Want to escape the city? Here are some places you might want to visit.

Im an expat here in Surabaya looking to escape the city this long weekend since it's Chinese New Yr.

I have gathered some information from my locale colleagues.

Here are some great places in East Java.
1. Pantai Lombang, Madura
2. Pantai Slopeng, Madura
3. Toroan waterfalls, Sampang, Madura
4. Siring Kemuning, Madura

5. Sendang Biru, Malang (the pantai to Sempu Island)
6. Sempu Island, Malang (involves 1.5hrs trekking, muddy during rainy season)

7. Papuma, Jember

And im also looking into
Karimun Jawa, Central Java

Please note that i have not been in any of these locations, so if you have been here, maybe you can share your experience, or if you have any other great destinations, share it with us please! :)

I'll try to visit some of them during my holidays. ill put up a blog and let you know about it! :)

If you have been to jember then please share your experience of the jember city..

Here's a video I took of Watu Ulo.

Watu Ulo Video

Watu Ulo is beside Papuma, it is facing the Indian Ocean. The Current was great for swimming and having fun. but not to the extent that you will be bringing your surf board.

Watu Ulo has no entrance fee, nice black sand shore but you need to pay for the parking(Rp7,500.00). 
Papuma has white sand and clear water, Restaurants(cheap ones, serving fish and other seafood), bungalow(Rp300,000.00-Rp750,000.00) and entrance fee ranging from Rp17,000.00 to 30,000. There's a shore that has clear sand and you can walk barefooted, but the other parts are rocky and un-swimmable due to dangerous strong waves and rocks.

We went to Watu Ulo because they said the sunrise there is nice. It had a good view though I think Papuma would have the same view too.

It was a very long drive from Surabaya and the road was not smooth, expect road bumps and some broken asphalt on the way. We left at 7PM on CNY, 22 FEB, We didnt think that macet will affect us but it did. it took us around 5-6 hours to get to Jember, We arrived at our destination at around 1 or 2 AM. took a little rest and went to Watu Ulo for the sunrise c. 5AM. Then after that we went to Papuma beach which was way better than Watu Ulo.

Papuma's Entrance is at the foot of the hill/ mountain, count's how many persons in your car, (might check if you are bule, and of course additional payment there). If you are going there with a big bus, it will not be able to cross the hill/ mountain, it needs to park at the entrance and their guests needs to walk from there to the shore(they said it's about 1km). But if you are going there with your car or the small bus, you can park in front of the shore or park in front of your bungalow. We brought food with us but we also ate in the cheap restaurants. They will show you the fresh Fish, Cumi, or Udang and they will grill it for you(Usually cost Rp,35,000.00 per serving). Have a cold coconut(Rp10,000.00) while waiting for your food.

Somethings to note: Shower/ toilets are paid, you need to prepare Rp2,000.00 -Rp5,000.00 depending on what's your business with them. Bungalow is nice to rent, but might be smelly due to the wood and water, it is clean though. The toilet in the bungalow is also good, not perfect though.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/885982_436600613162937_6471744936342859295_o.jpg

Thank you Phil for this information and for video.. Seems like a nice tourist destination..

indeed it is. it might not be for everyone though.

cons:
- long drive.
- no beer around (bring your own would do)
- no bars
- not a classy place to stay

although for some people, this might actually be the pros. hehe. :)

Welcome Sifiullah. Im coming back there on the weekend with different set of friends, will try to have my drone fly around the area and post the video again. :)

hopefully will see another nice video of the east jawa... i will move there in August, may be will live there for couple of years..

Try Tretes Tourist spot or Garden Tea Lawang
Really nice and clean air environment far from city polution but near the city border