Cost of living in Cambodia – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Cambodia in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Cambodia you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Cambodia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Ok , I share you some information.
If you live in an apartment1-2 bedroom depending on location if: around
BKK that will be 500-700 , if russian market 300-500, the farther the cheaper. If you live in guesthouses , depend whether fan or aircon , fan usually for single will be $200, and aircon around $300 above.
For transportation: bus is 1,500 riel , tuktuk depends where you are going. so normally from$2-5 dollars. motorbike will be 2,000 to 10,000 riel if very far.
For drinks: normally buying from shop big water 1.5 L will be 1,500-2000 riel which is 0.50 cents. cola, beer  will be around the same price if the cheapest brand.

Food runs around $1- 2 if from street. restaurants food starts 3- above
and pizza will be from $5-10 depend where you get it.

Hope this helps you.
Choco

Hi Choco,

Thank you for your contribution here !  :one

Priscilla

it is expensive than you expect. especially transport fee is unbelievable

Here's my contribution:

> accommodation prices
Anything from $200 for a small Asian-style apartment to $3500 for a fully Western villa with security and services. Prices very much depend on the area and the landlord!

The best international schools (such as Northbridge International School Cambodia) cost between $5500 to $17850 a year depending on the age of the student. These are schools teaching the International Baccalaureate curriculum with a large percentage of expat students. Graduates go on to universities in the US, Australia, UK, France etc. Other private schools with English tuition are available at lesser cost, but may not have the same quality of teaching or indeed qualified teachers!

In a one or two bed apartment without much aircon use, you can pay as little as $25 a month for electricity. Use more aircon and the price goes up. Some people pay way over $100 a month. Gas for cooking is bought in big bottles, about $60 for the first one including a deposit on the bottle.

In a local coffee shop, 50c to $1 for a coffee. In an aircon wifi coffee shop, $2.50+

About $3.50 - $5

All I can say is that Asia is getting way to expensive now for retirees Things are changing too fast

Who are you kidding.         If you think Cambodia is expensive
Try going to Australia  for awhile.        And you might wake up why we are all in Thsiland and Cambodia
Vodka $3 bottle.     Litre Gilbeys Gin.   $10
Pork knuckle in restaurant    $4

Mjk

I live in Sihanoukville and of course the money you spend depends on the way you live
Accommodation prices: I pay 180 per month for a 45m2 flat with one room, one bathroom and a big kitchen/living room. The bedroom is fitted with a king size double bed, a bedside table and a stool + TV, fan and aircon; the living room is fitted with a  gas cooker, a big fridge , two armchairs, 5 chairs, a table for 6 people, a double sink and a TV plus a fan. The big inconvenient of this flat is that it looks south and is badly insulated.   

Public transportation fares:  Big bus to Phnom Penh: $5, faster minibus: $10, taxi:$45 to 50. Tuk tuk drivers in Sihanoukville exagerate and are quite expensive but you have to bargain and shouldn't pay more than $3  to go from one end of the town to the other one. You can rent a motorbike for $7 to $8 perday or $70 per month.

Food prices (your monthly budget) If you buy from the local market and cook by yourself, it can go from as little as $90 per month to $150. In a simple restaurant, you will have a dish for $1,5 to $2. In most more touristical place for $4 to 5.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) I am covered for 3 months by my mastercard gold and after  I take a personnal insurance through the internet. $ 150 for 3 months.

> energy prices (oil, electricity) Electricity: from 800 riels/klw if you rent a  house to 1500/1800 riels/klw if your rent a flat. I pay 1800 Riels/klw but never spend more than $10 (TV, fridge, washing-machine, fan, lights). I never use the aircon. Petrol: $1,25/L

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) Phoning is very cheap if you phone to the same operator and if you know the good plans but in  shops, employees don't try to explain you what is best.  Personnally, I use "smart" and for $5,10 a month I can phone all smart phones for free at any times. I even often get bonus for the same operator and can use it for two months as long as I still have a little credit left. My friends and my staff have smart so I use my credit when I need to phone people who have another operator.

Price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant: $ 8 to 15.

Price for a coffee or a drink From half a dollar to $5 according to the place. Beer is quite cheap.

>Price for cinema tickets: ?

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;) Squids: $5/kilo, Big shrimps $ 7 to 10, chicken $7, pork $5, most fruit from $ 1,5 to $3. Putting air in your moto: 500Riels for two wheels, reparing an inner tube: 2000 riels per hole. Changing oil: $4/5

Pork knuckle for 4$? Where, BTW? Thank you

Hi everybody,

I would like to thank those who have participated in this thread and have given valuable information concerning the cost of living in Cambodia.

Have a nice day all

Priscilla  :cheers:

It is situated on route 6.   Opposite the garage  situated on the right.     Down the road from Caltex Station
On the left side to airport next door to Driving School
It's frequented by Locals ;knuckles are big  and to die for with steamed rice
Enjoy
Mjk

I live in Australia, and sorry I do not drink

Hello All,
I live in Phnom Penh, in Toul Kork area.
I pleased to take up this survey. I am from India and this place is easily 3-4 times costlier!
I live in an apartment which is furnished with everything with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with all the basic necessities roughly 800sqm. It costs 600$+ 4-5$ maintenance + 50-200$ for electricity depending upon AC consumption. House help costs 45$ for daily cleaning!!
Tuk-tuk is the most favoured mode of transport and in 2-3$ you can be from one end to other of the city. Need to bargain a lot. I do own a car and petrol cost is 1$/L.
In most of the decent restaurants an average meal for 2 persons can cost between 10-20$!! In some joints you can easily manage between 5-10$.
For your household items you can shop in marts or local market! Milk is the costliest here with 4.5$/L. Poultry and fish are cheap. Vegetables also reasonable. Brown bread around 2$!! On an average if you mix shopping from local and marts it can cost up to 150$-300$/ month!!
As far as medical expenses are concerned haven't visited many hospitals. Once or twice been to Royal Phnom Penh hospital. Its a Thai venture, with good facilities and expert care. But its damn expensive. Physician consultation is around 15$. They overcharge for medicines and investigarions 3-4 times. My suggestion if you think you can remember the name of medicine then buy from pharmacy outside where it will be much cheaper. Investigations again you can ask sister to write and get it done in BIOMED lab. Very good and reasonable.
Overall as I said earlier this place is expensive but you can bring it down by acting in a smart way. Try local markets. People are very friendly and helpful.
Hope this piece of information is useful!!
Cheers,
Kshitiz

I live with my husband & children in Battambang, Cambodia. This info is what I know from living here the past year. Others' lives/costs would probably differ. Hope this helps!

accommodation prices:
You can rent a brick/concrete house for about $100 per bedroom per month. There are small places for less, but might not be as comfortable/secure.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) tuk tuk rides cost about $2 each way for short distances around the city. You can get one for the day for $15. A new motorbike (auto) costs roughly $2000 to buy.

> food prices (your monthly budget)
Foreign/imported groceries costs roughly double what we used to pay in Australia. Milk $2 a litre. Cereal $5 for a small box, cheese, $4 for 250g. Shopping at the market is cheaper- eggs .12 each, chicken & pork $5kg, cucumbers .50kg.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) we've got full coverage long term travel insurance for a fam of 4 from Aust. $1500 per year.

Local schools with some English education cost about $80/ month. International school is more like $200/$300 per month.

Our power bill is about $50/month for fans, kettle, fridge , washer, water heaters in showers for our 4 bedroom house (no AC) Water is $5 a month.

We have high speed finer optic internet for $30/month and mobile phone costs $5/month.

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant
$2.50-3.50
In western restaurant, around $5.00

Khmer iced coffee .50. Latte 2.25
Beer .50-1.00 cocktails 3.50

No cinema.

I live well in sihnoukville for $600.00 per month, when I was in Vietnam, it was around $500.00

Hi !

I live in Siem Reap city center, on Taphul Road.
> I have a 1 bedroom flat, a nice balcony and nice living room. The flat is all furnished and very modern, there is a fan in the living room and A/C in the bedroom.
I pay 450$ / month with wifi included. I am 2 minuts by walk from Park Hyatt hotel.

> For transportation, tuk tuk is around 2$ for the city center.

> Food : eating outside in local restaurant is cheap (2$ / dish) and western restaurants are about 5-8$ / dish.

> health price : I have an insurance for young expats and pay 550$ / year

> Energy price : my electricity and water bills is about 25 to 30$ / month (we are 2 persons living in the flat)

> price for a coffee or drink : 1 or 2 $

> cinema : no cinema

Thanks !

I Siem Reap, and my wife and I live in a room for $50 a month (we have a fan on much of the time, but electric never gets above $20.
Food here is still very cheap; street food runs from fifty cents to about $1.25. Beer is fifty cents a can.
Tuk tuk rides are about the same as in PP, but perhaps a bit cheaper. Moto's run from fifty cents and up. Always try to give 2500 riel, which is just above fifty cents.
I will say this...it helps IMMENSELY to be married to a Khmerican who is respected as she's bilingual. This has helped us save money here.

Hi! I live in a flat in Phnom Penh (near Tuol Sleng) with two other housemates and we each pay $150 per month with everything included (electricity, water, cleaner, garbage)...but I think we have quite a good deal. I ride a bicycle, which cost me $45 (light, lock and basket included) but in the day I'd usually expect to pay up to $2 for tuk tuk or moto (slightly cheaper - I usually start bargaining at 3000 riel) to go anywhere within the centre of town, but at night I'd expect from $3-$5 for the same trip depending on the time of night. Western food at supermarkets is expensive (bottle of wine for $8, $5 for jam, $3 for pasta, $5 for cereal), but street or market food is cheap ($1 for lunch at Russian market, less than $1 dollar for veggies). Ice coffee on the street is about 3000 riel, but coffee is $2.50 in a wifi/aircon cafe. Beer is about 50c per can and $1.50 out at a bar. A nice but smaller scale restaurant (Sesame, L'Orchidee, Restaurant 63) you can expect to pay between $5 and $7 including if you get an alcoholic drink. I think Flicks has cinema tickets for $3.50. I hope that helps!

Sihanoukville Victoryhill sector

> accommodation prices ...2 bedroom house  kitchen & livingroom all have windows fully furnished with big land and covered patio = 200$ month , city water 2000R cubicmeter
before was living in 25 meter studio 90$ month all included

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) have moto gasoline 3500R L
Phnom Penh vip bus 7$

> food prices (your monthly budget) 200 $ half resto \home cooking (imported food expensive)
resto Khmer 1 \ 4 $ , western 4\ 10$ , pizza  7$
apples 3.5$ Kilo grapes 5$ Kilo chinese pear 1$ Kilo
local vegetable 1000R \3500R kilo

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) doctor consultation 10$

> energy prices (oil, electricity) electricity 720R kw (15\20$ month), cooking gaz 17$ tank

mobile phone  local call 1 cent a minute free same operator , over sea 4 cents a minute
fiber optic internet 3G 24$ month cabletv 9$

> price for a coffee or a drink ,  white ice coffee 0.50 latte or cappucino 2$ coka cola 0.50$ draft beer from 0.50$, can 0.75$ ,bottle 1.25$ , pastis 1$ , cocktail 2$ & up

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)  purified water 12 x 500ml bottle 3500R orange juice 1.50$ L

I concur with Clynn. I too, live in Battambang. Although, at the moment, I am in the US - Oregon. (I assure you, it costs considerably more to live here than it does in Battambang!)

My monthly budget for Battambang is between $1,500 and $2,000 USD per month. But, I dine out a lot and I tend to be a spendthrift. (Money burns a hole in my pocket.)

Rent: $200 USD / month - 2 bedroom, 2 en suite baths in my home (about 1 year old). It offers kitchen and living areas, and is in a private compound. It also has a 12 square meter covered front porch. It is an attached house.

I think, in most cities in country, you can probably find lots of available "Khmer style" accommodations in a range of $50 USD - $60 USD / month. This will be a single room with a bathroom, maybe a kitchenette area, furnished with only a bed, table, and fan. Most likely, there will not be screens on the windows. I lived in one of those small apartments for a while, when I first moved to Battambang. Most westerners, I think, probably could not live that simply, though. About the best deal I have seen for a proper home in Battambang, would be around $100 USD to $150 USD / month.

Electricity: $100 USD / month using air-con on the odd occasion. The actual cost per kWh is .375c US, or 1,500r. Power costs vary depending on where you live and your landlord. I know some people at Otres, down in SHV, who pay as much as 2,000r or .50c US / kWh.

When I am there, I run my electronics (computers and such) 24/7/365. But, they usually run off my solar array, so as not to add to the electric bill.

Water: .50c US / cubic meter (1,000 liters). I consume about 5 cubic meters per month. But, I also collect rainwater off the roof for washing and other uses, to cut down on city water usage. Not about the money. It's solely about conservation.

Petrol / Gasoline: This was 5,500r / liter when I left in November 2014. But, due to the global drop in prices, I am not sure what it is now. It had dropped below 4,000r / liter a month or so ago.

Food costs: Food is the one thing I will not budget in my lifestyle. I tend to spend a lot on food, as I buy the best quality available. But, I do not do my own shopping. So, I cannot help you with costs here.

If the fellow who lives in Australia thinks SE Asia is costly, he needs to look at the fact that he is living in one of the most costly countries in the world, in which to live.

Lastly, if you join Battambang Connect, a Google group for local information on Battambang, you can get current information on costs. (Staff, if this is not allowed, I understand if you must delete it.)

Siem Reap, Cambodia (expense accounting for 9 months in 2014)

Guest Houses. 
$15 gets me a decent and clean A/C room with daily housekeeping.       ($450/mo)
$25 will get the same with Breakfast and a pool.                ($650/mo)

House Rentals.   (2 months deposit, plus first month's rent is common ... 3 months is required up front)
House 1
Newer 2 bedroom Bungalow with 1 bathroom and Kitchen just outside city in family owned compound.  Overly anxious landlord/neighbor, little privacy.  $250/mo plus electricity @1000 riel per kWh. (Hottest months) I ran A/C in bedroom a lot.   $125-$150/mo Electricity.          ($400/mo)
House 2
New 2 bedroom nicely built and appointed western standard Lower House/Apartment with 3 bathrooms, laundry room, and nice courtyard, private and secured with sliding gate.  (Executive)  Nice Kitchen.  3 A/C units.  Awesome Landlord with pool access steps away.  Coolest Months, some nights no AC necessary.  $550/mo rent, and $120 electricity.  $20 for internet.  $20 for 2Xweekly maid.  $5 for Garbage.                                 ($715/mo)

Agoda has some pretty good deals.  You would do well to familiarize yourself if you have not already.  I have used Agoda's secret deals which do not reveal the hotel till after you book, but last time, I got 4 stars in Phnom Penh for $17 with Breakfast, and coming up in March 2015, I got 4 stars in Siem Reap for $18 (plus taxes and fees, usually about 12+10%)  These are unadvertised specials that are often an 85% discount and good for shorter stays. 

Transportation

I purchased a new Moto Honda Dream 125 for $2000.  I pay about $5 dollars gas a week, but GF drives it 6 days a week to work.  I feel that over 3 or more years, depreciation will be $250 per year, or about $20 per month.  Over a longer term, depreciation will be less than that.  This amounts to less than $2 per day for transportation, or about $1.30 precisely.  Add about $3 a month for bike washing and oil changes.  (I get the bike washed about 2 times a month for around 3000 riel (.75 cents) and the oil changed about every 2-3 months for $5)                 ($43/mo)

Tuk Tuk short rides are about $2 each way, and usually a round trip with a few stops is $6, although I know of some ppl that hire a tuk tuk all day for $6 dollars, but I do not know how.  Riding on the back of a moto is usually $1 short trip one way.  If you rely on this form of transportation, you will most certainly pay 3-6 dollars per day, so about $4 on average, or             ($120/mo)

There are no city buses in Siem Reap, but if you want to take a bus to Phnom Penh, it is about $18 dollars per person on the highly recommended Giant Ibis over night sleeper bus. 
Insurance

I paid about $250 for three months coverage on WorldNomads.com and that was well worth it as I spent 4 nights in hospital.  Costs per month are about ($83/mo) *travel insurance is different than expat insurance, and generally cheaper.                       ($ 83/mo)

Random

I have been known to buy $7 dollar western breakfasts for myself and usually dining out for two is at least $15.  I think that a fair budget for two people is $75 a week for Groceries, and $75 a week for purchasing prepared food.  I drink very little alcohol; however, the price of beer is hardly more than soda.                                     ($600/mo)

Most landlords will charge 1000r per KWH of Electricity.  Free wifi is readily available everywhere.  Depending on your needs, I found that by purchasing a USB Dongle ($40 for a Prolink because Met phone software was not compatible with the Latest Mac OEM and you can use with any provider)  Met phone offers an unlimited plan for $5/mo which slows down after 1 or 2 GB but is still more than adequate for single page browsing or e-mail.  Sim Cards are $1 and I found Smart Phone to have good rates, with .04 cents a minute for international calling, and I barely used $5/mo without international calls. 

Dining for 2 at a Khmer Restaurant will run you between $7-12 dollars for 2 people. 

Depending where you go, Coffee is usually at least $1 (and no free re-fills) and Draft Beer is between .50 .75 cents.  You can buy a whole large blue water jug for $1 refills and $5-$6 dollar deposit.  Cans of drinks are about .35-45 cents by the case. 

No cinema in Siem Reap, but the lovely theatre in Phnom Penh is about $4 per person if I remember correctly. 

Excursions

Every Sunday, we liked to go somewhere, as it was my GF day off.  We would likely spend between $20-$50 per day for these excursions, keeping in mind that a visit to Kulen will cost $20 at the gate or $13 in advance (Barang) and a visit to the Temples is $20.  I think that my $200 per month is more realistic to include our out of town trips and overnight buses and other accommodations etc, which gives me an annual budget of $2,400 for that.  So although a lot of our day trips need not be expensive just roaming and exploring, on the whole, when we include other travel, it would be more, to be fair. 

Weddings

Be prepared to be invited to some weddings, and they will cost you about $20 dollars for lesser known ‘friends' and perhaps $50 for good and dear friends.  So, you may go to 4 of those a year, average 4 x $35 = $12 a month.  (Not to mention outfits and hairdo's etc.)

Charity.

To my readers, I do not wish to get into a debate, and my heart has hardened somewhat since I arrived, but I still find it impossible not to give something, sometimes, to the never ending deluge of beggars.  Sometimes, I just find it easier to pay them to leave me alone.  And when I say pay them, I am talking about 1000r (.25 cents) Lets also include fines here, for not wearing my helmet 3000r (.75 cents) or some other oddity, like driving with a headlight on, which happened once and cost me about $2.50 in Sihanoukville.  I think that at least $20/mo falls out of my pocket in this way. 

Context.

I am price conscious, to a point.  While travelling, and not yet retired or drawing a pension, I am not earning an income.  Costs per day then become more relevant than they would be when you are only vacationing for 1-2 weeks per year.  That being said, I still like to live good and not feel deprived.  This budget is just that, I do not feel that I am holding myself back from having anything I wish, or doing what I want.  I fully acknowledge that this is not a shoestring budget, and that you could definitely do this a lot cheaper but frankly, I just don't want to.

Also, keep in mind, this is for 2 people.  That being said, you cannot just divide in two, as there are economies of scale at play when two people live and play together.  For example, you cannot just divide the transportation or housing costs, and some of these costs are almost the same whether one or two people. 

My Budget Summary/Mo.      Low side.        Hide Side
(For 2 people)

Housing (average costs)        $400            $715
Food and Groceries        $500            $600
Transportation            $ 40            $ 40
Insurance            $ 83            $ 83
Excursions, day trips.        $ 80            $200
Weddings and Gifts        $ 12            $ 12
Internet and Cell        $ 10            $ 10
Clothing/laundry/Haircuts    $ 60            $ 60
Charity and fines        $ 20            $ 20

Total                $1,205            $1,740
Total including Flights        $1,518            $2,054
Annual                $18,216        $24,648
Daily excluding travel        $ 39.61            $ 57.20***
Daily including travel        $ 49.90            $ 67.52

realistically, for myself, I must include the costs of two trips home per year. (I did 3) That is average $1,800 plus airport food (**expensive) and then transportation to and from airport.  This amounts to about $4000 per year for me.  Monthly budget is then $334/mo.  All things taken into consideration then, I can live for between 1,518 – 2,054/mo, which is $18,216 – $24,648 per year, quite comfortably without giving up much of anything or tightening my belt. 

***Incidentally, I have seen (and been on) luxury all inclusive cruises (not including flights) that are less than $50 per day.  If you could book them seamlessly, you could live on a cruise ship for the same price as my ‘High Side' budget.

WAJH wrote:

Siem Reap, Cambodia (expense accounting for 9 months in 2014)

Guest Houses. 
$15 gets me a decent and clean A/C room with daily housekeeping.       ($450/mo)
$25 will get the same with Breakfast and a pool.                ($650/mo)

House Rentals.   (2 months deposit, plus first month's rent is common ... 3 months is required up front)
House 1
Newer 2 bedroom Bungalow with 1 bathroom and Kitchen just outside city in family owned compound.  Overly anxious landlord/neighbor, little privacy.  $250/mo plus electricity @1000 riel per kWh. (Hottest months) I ran A/C in bedroom a lot.   $125-$150/mo Electricity.          ($400/mo)
House 2
New 2 bedroom nicely built and appointed western standard Lower House/Apartment with 3 bathrooms, laundry room, and nice courtyard, private and secured with sliding gate.  (Executive)  Nice Kitchen.  3 A/C units.  Awesome Landlord with pool access steps away.  Coolest Months, some nights no AC necessary.  $550/mo rent, and $120 electricity.  $20 for internet.  $20 for 2Xweekly maid.  $5 for Garbage.                                 ($715/mo)

Agoda has some pretty good deals.  You would do well to familiarize yourself if you have not already.  I have used Agoda's secret deals which do not reveal the hotel till after you book, but last time, I got 4 stars in Phnom Penh for $17 with Breakfast, and coming up in March 2015, I got 4 stars in Siem Reap for $18 (plus taxes and fees, usually about 12+10%)  These are unadvertised specials that are often an 85% discount and good for shorter stays. 

Transportation

I purchased a new Moto Honda Dream 125 for $2000.  I pay about $5 dollars gas a week, but GF drives it 6 days a week to work.  I feel that over 3 or more years, depreciation will be $250 per year, or about $20 per month.  Over a longer term, depreciation will be less than that.  This amounts to less than $2 per day for transportation, or about $1.30 precisely.  Add about $3 a month for bike washing and oil changes.  (I get the bike washed about 2 times a month for around 3000 riel (.75 cents) and the oil changed about every 2-3 months for $5)                 ($43/mo)

Tuk Tuk short rides are about $2 each way, and usually a round trip with a few stops is $6, although I know of some ppl that hire a tuk tuk all day for $6 dollars, but I do not know how.  Riding on the back of a moto is usually $1 short trip one way.  If you rely on this form of transportation, you will most certainly pay 3-6 dollars per day, so about $4 on average, or             ($120/mo)

There are no city buses in Siem Reap, but if you want to take a bus to Phnom Penh, it is about $18 dollars per person on the highly recommended Giant Ibis over night sleeper bus. 
Insurance

I paid about $250 for three months coverage on WorldNomads.com and that was well worth it as I spent 4 nights in hospital.  Costs per month are about ($83/mo) *travel insurance is different than expat insurance, and generally cheaper.                       ($ 83/mo)

Random

I have been known to buy $7 dollar western breakfasts for myself and usually dining out for two is at least $15.  I think that a fair budget for two people is $75 a week for Groceries, and $75 a week for purchasing prepared food.  I drink very little alcohol; however, the price of beer is hardly more than soda.                                     ($600/mo)

Most landlords will charge 1000r per KWH of Electricity.  Free wifi is readily available everywhere.  Depending on your needs, I found that by purchasing a USB Dongle ($40 for a Prolink because Met phone software was not compatible with the Latest Mac OEM and you can use with any provider)  Met phone offers an unlimited plan for $5/mo which slows down after 1 or 2 GB but is still more than adequate for single page browsing or e-mail.  Sim Cards are $1 and I found Smart Phone to have good rates, with .04 cents a minute for international calling, and I barely used $5/mo without international calls. 

Dining for 2 at a Khmer Restaurant will run you between $7-12 dollars for 2 people. 

Depending where you go, Coffee is usually at least $1 (and no free re-fills) and Draft Beer is between .50 .75 cents.  You can buy a whole large blue water jug for $1 refills and $5-$6 dollar deposit.  Cans of drinks are about .35-45 cents by the case. 

No cinema in Siem Reap, but the lovely theatre in Phnom Penh is about $4 per person if I remember correctly. 

Excursions

Every Sunday, we liked to go somewhere, as it was my GF day off.  We would likely spend between $20-$50 per day for these excursions, keeping in mind that a visit to Kulen will cost $20 at the gate or $13 in advance (Barang) and a visit to the Temples is $20.  I think that my $200 per month is more realistic to include our out of town trips and overnight buses and other accommodations etc, which gives me an annual budget of $2,400 for that.  So although a lot of our day trips need not be expensive just roaming and exploring, on the whole, when we include other travel, it would be more, to be fair. 

Weddings

Be prepared to be invited to some weddings, and they will cost you about $20 dollars for lesser known ‘friends' and perhaps $50 for good and dear friends.  So, you may go to 4 of those a year, average 4 x $35 = $12 a month.  (Not to mention outfits and hairdo's etc.)

Charity.

To my readers, I do not wish to get into a debate, and my heart has hardened somewhat since I arrived, but I still find it impossible not to give something, sometimes, to the never ending deluge of beggars.  Sometimes, I just find it easier to pay them to leave me alone.  And when I say pay them, I am talking about 1000r (.25 cents) Lets also include fines here, for not wearing my helmet 3000r (.75 cents) or some other oddity, like driving with a headlight on, which happened once and cost me about $2.50 in Sihanoukville.  I think that at least $20/mo falls out of my pocket in this way. 

Context.

I am price conscious, to a point.  While travelling, and not yet retired or drawing a pension, I am not earning an income.  Costs per day then become more relevant than they would be when you are only vacationing for 1-2 weeks per year.  That being said, I still like to live good and not feel deprived.  This budget is just that, I do not feel that I am holding myself back from having anything I wish, or doing what I want.  I fully acknowledge that this is not a shoestring budget, and that you could definitely do this a lot cheaper but frankly, I just don't want to.

Also, keep in mind, this is for 2 people.  That being said, you cannot just divide in two, as there are economies of scale at play when two people live and play together.  For example, you cannot just divide the transportation or housing costs, and some of these costs are almost the same whether one or two people. 

My Budget Summary/Mo.      Low side.        Hide Side
(For 2 people)

Housing (average costs)        $400            $715
Food and Groceries        $500            $600
Transportation            $ 40            $ 40
Insurance            $ 83            $ 83
Excursions, day trips.        $ 80            $200
Weddings and Gifts        $ 12            $ 12
Internet and Cell        $ 10            $ 10
Clothing/laundry/Haircuts    $ 60            $ 60
Charity and fines        $ 20            $ 20

Total                $1,205            $1,740
Total including Flights        $1,518            $2,054
Annual                $18,216        $24,648
Daily excluding travel        $ 39.61            $ 57.20***
Daily including travel        $ 49.90            $ 67.52

realistically, for myself, I must include the costs of two trips home per year. (I did 3) That is average $1,800 plus airport food (**expensive) and then transportation to and from airport.  This amounts to about $4000 per year for me.  Monthly budget is then $334/mo.  All things taken into consideration then, I can live for between 1,518 – 2,054/mo, which is $18,216 – $24,648 per year, quite comfortably without giving up much of anything or tightening my belt. 

***Incidentally, I have seen (and been on) luxury all inclusive cruises (not including flights) that are less than $50 per day.  If you could book them seamlessly, you could live on a cruise ship for the same price as my ‘High Side' budget.

I am advised by my SO, the bus to PP from REP is 15, not 18.  I do not think this changes much in my overall budget, but it is worth mentioning. 

Also, I would like to experiment over a longer period of time with a food budget, I think I could successfully bring it down, maybe even considerably by just being more conscious of it.  My idea is just placing the money into the envelopes 'groceries' and 'entertainment/dining' and then seeing how we manage it.  If we find that there are surpluses', we could adjust it. 

Another thing I failed to touch on was bank fees and charges.  Canadia bank charges $4 per withdrawal now.  You are allowed to take out max $450, so that is less than 1% if you keep it to large withdrawals.  But, just so you know, currently, Maybank has no such fees, on the Cambodian side anyhow.

WAJH wrote:

Another thing I failed to touch on was bank fees and charges.  Canadia bank charges $4 per withdrawal now.  You are allowed to take out max $450, so that is less than 1% if you keep it to large withdrawals.  But, just so you know, currently, Maybank has no such fees, on the Cambodian side anyhow.

Banking is a very good thing to mention.

NOTE: The following information will ONLY be good for American Citizens.

American citizens may open an Investment / Checking account with Charles Schwab.

Schwab will not charge anything for ATM withdrawals and will reimburse foreign ATM fees at the end of each month. I just opened one myself, after having lived abroad long enough to run up more than an estimated $10,000 USD in ATM fees over those years.

Phnom Penh

> accommodation prices  - 2 bedrooms, very nice apartment, big terrace, big kitchen, totally equipped, BKK3 - 600$

> public transportation fares - modo taxi - from 2000 riel (0,5$), tuk tuk - from 1$. Own bike - 30$, own used motorbike - from 250 $

> food prices  - it's depend on the place where you are buying food. I'm mixing locals markets and supermarkets and we are spending (family of 3) - 250-400$ for shopping per month.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)   - 30$ for basic visit in Naga Clinik

> education prices (if you need to pay) around 1000$ per month for school with international curriculum.(you can find cheaper and more expensive)

> energy prices (oil, electricity) - 50$ per month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) -5-10$ phone card, 12$ internet

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant -  2$ in traditional (plastic chairs) over 5$ in fancy "traditional", less than 1 $ from the street

> price for a coffee or a drink -  0,5$ - coffee from the street, 2,5$ nice place with AC and wifi

> price for cinema tickets- from 3,5$

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)
-playground for kids - from 4$ for full day
-coconut - from 0,5$
-milk - from 3,5$
- croissant -from 1$

What are these prices for? a day, a week, a month?

Hi there, thanks for your post, it is very helpful. I am moving to Cambodia on the 24th April from the UK, I will be staying in Siem Reap for a couple of days before moving on to Sihanoukville, so if you are aware of any rental places around the price you are paying it would be nice to hear from you?

Best wishes

Chris

I live in siem reap.rent a 2 bedroom ,2 bathroom house in a compound with pool for 250$ a month.elec is 30 to 50$ a month depending on the season,hot season 50$ means 5 fans on,fridge,tv dvd,etc.1000riel 1kw.
my scooter was 1400$ for a 1 y old honda click with 1 year warrenty.food around 20$ a day so 600$ a month. My gf gets 200$a month allowance.tgats about it.we live a very good life.traveling around gets bored after a while so you quickly stop that.so 1100$ a month.i have friends who live on half of that and still do well,if you want to spend 600$on rent stay in the western world,you break the market by agreeing to those money slendring khmer landlords

Did I read you right.    $250 for pool and 2 bedroom
Please tell me where as I live in SR and would love to move. ASAP
Normal rent with pool.  $750

Its full now,but 5km out of the city center kok krossing village

All long term renters,3 to 5 years

My lovely 2 bed house in Sihanoukville costs $120 pm to rent.  My electricity bill [no hot water] is around $30 pm,  water around $2 pm. TV $5- $8 pm depending on channels.  Internet connection £24 pm.  I pay my motodop $1 for local journeys and $2 if I'm going further.  For an extra $1 he'll go to market for me with a list.  All in all, very easy and comfortable lifestyle..

is that an apartment then?

As I say in my post, it is a 2 bedroom house with large yard and big gates.

mjck1945 wrote:

It is situated on route 6.   Opposite the garage  situated on the right.     Down the road from Caltex Station
On the left side to airport next door to Driving School
It's frequented by Locals ;knuckles are big  and to die for with steamed rice

Can you give a link to the location on Google Map?  I really would like to give it a try when I pass there next time:-)

Thank you so much for you valuable information. It is really helping me planning for my trip there. I was also interested in who you got your family health insurance from In Australia. Could you please tell me the name of the company, that would be so great. Again thank you so much and if you think of more goodies, please let me know ok? thank you, Best regards Nick

phann2000 wrote:

All I can say is that Asia is getting way to expensive now for retirees Things are changing too fast

If you think it is expensive in Asia, go back to Australia and live there for 6 months, you will return very quickly.

I think Mogo51 is right only in very tourist places you pay almost as much as here in Europe for diner in a nice place .Just got back from Thailand and Cambodia.Around the Mekong river the nice places are same price almost as in my country for diner and wine.Same in Thailand but depents wich area.For example Phi Phi island is cheaper then Phuket ( weird cause place is more touristic)
Phuket town is cheaper then Patong beach.Bangkok depents on wich area you go.
But hey ..you get the nice weather and the smile of the people for free ! :) I love Asia and will spend  half of the year there in the futur.I do think Cambodia from what i saw is almost same price as Thailand in tourist places.Not cheaper as i tought it would be.Don't know about daily living on a normal not tourist live.I love to know wich country is the best to live in for daily living if you think on costs.I think Thailand has also more for Western people but i can be wrong.Cambodia is easier to start up business then Thailand ..difficult to decide wich one is best to spend more time in.

inkmermaid1 wrote:

I do think Cambodia from what i saw is almost same price as Thailand in tourist places.Not cheaper as i tought it would be.Don't know about daily living on a normal not tourist live.I love to know wich country is the best to live in for daily living if you think on costs.I think Thailand has also more for Western people but i can be wrong.Cambodia is easier to start up business then Thailand ..difficult to decide wich one is best to spend more time in.

It's easier to stay in Cambodia, than in Thailand. I have lived in both countries, and would choose Cambodia, hands down, for ease of living. Of course, this is as an American Citizen. Here is why:

1. I do not have to deal with exchange rates, as ATMs dispense USD bills. No need to even exchange for Khmer Riel, as USD are widely accepted throughout the country.

2. Visa costs here are much better than Thailand, AND no border runs are needed. In fact, you don't even have to leave the country - ever, to renew your visa. One year, just under $300 USD, and no other costs throughout the year.

3. Cost of living, to me anyway, is cheaper here than in Thailand. Housing costs, for sure, are cheaper here. I had a condo there for $150 USD / month, 50 square meters. But, that was ONLY because the owner wanted someone just to keep it occupied for him. Most other units in the building were 8,000 THB to 10,000 THB, per month. I was fortunate enough to be paying only 6,000 THB / month. 

I have a home (not a condo or apartment) here, two bedroom, two bath, en suite toilets, in room air-cons, a private 12 square meters porch, otherwise semi-furnished, located in a private compound - for $200 USD / month.

I believe power is probably more costly here in Cambodia, than in Thailand. (I pay the equivalent of 37.5c US / kWh.) But, food and other costs are the same or cheaper. Definitely stay away from tourist areas.

4. Business ownership. In Thailand, as a foreigner, you cannot legally own a business, as far as I know. Here in Cambodia, you can own a business outright.

livingincebu wrote:
inkmermaid1 wrote:

I do think Cambodia from what i saw is almost same price as Thailand in tourist places.Not cheaper as i tought it would be.Don't know about daily living on a normal not tourist live.I love to know wich country is the best to live in for daily living if you think on costs.I think Thailand has also more for Western people but i can be wrong.Cambodia is easier to start up business then Thailand ..difficult to decide wich one is best to spend more time in.

It's easier to stay in Cambodia, than in Thailand. I have lived in both countries, and would choose Cambodia, hands down, for ease of living. Of course, this is as an American Citizen. Here is why:

1. I do not have to deal with exchange rates, as ATMs dispense USD bills. No need to even exchange for Khmer Riel, as USD are widely accepted throughout the country.

Thank  your for your  post and it is very helpful.    Housing is definately cheaper are you in the Capital or one of the
two major provinces?  From what I read there is considerable cost differences in that case?
Do you know any friends who are teachers there?  My gf is Filipino but dual degree in Teaching Maths/English, plus
over 20 years teaching experience, last 8 years in Thailand.
Would she be able to get a job there?  If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks for your helpful advice.  You can own a business in Thailand but cannot own any land, ie. you lease.
2. Visa costs here are much better than Thailand, AND no border runs are needed. In fact, you don't even have to leave the country - ever, to renew your visa. One year, just under $300 USD, and no other costs throughout the year.

3. Cost of living, to me anyway, is cheaper here than in Thailand. Housing costs, for sure, are cheaper here. I had a condo there for $150 USD / month, 50 square meters. But, that was ONLY because the owner wanted someone just to keep it occupied for him. Most other units in the building were 8,000 THB to 10,000 THB, per month. I was fortunate enough to be paying only 6,000 THB / month. 

I have a home (not a condo or apartment) here, two bedroom, two bath, en suite toilets, in room air-cons, a private 12 square meters porch, otherwise semi-furnished, located in a private compound - for $200 USD / month.

I believe power is probably more costly here in Cambodia, than in Thailand. (I pay the equivalent of 37.5c US / kWh.) But, food and other costs are the same or cheaper. Definitely stay away from tourist areas.

4. Business ownership. In Thailand, as a foreigner, you cannot legally own a business, as far as I know. Here in Cambodia, you can own a business outright.

mogo51 wrote:

Thank  your for your  post and it is very helpful.    Housing is definately cheaper are you in the Capital or one of the two major provinces?  From what I read there is considerable cost differences in that case?
Do you know any friends who are teachers there?  My gf is Filipino but dual degree in Teaching Maths/English, plus
over 20 years teaching experience, last 8 years in Thailand.
Would she be able to get a job there?  If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks for your helpful advice.  You can own a business in Thailand but cannot own any land, ie. you lease.

I live in Battambang, within the city limits. I am about 3.0 to 3.5 hours from Siem Reap, and about 6.0 to 7.0 hours to Phnom Penh, by bus to both cities. I am quite sure, the farther you are from major cities, the cheaper the rent will be. In fact, my rent is actually high for here. You should be able to get a similar rental home here, from between $120 USD to $150 USD / month. My home happens to be newer, and pretty nice. The entire compound is a nice area in which to live. It is quiet and peaceful here, as we have hotels around us. So, not so much regarding other residential areas, so less noise.

Filipinos commonly teach English throughout Cambodia. I have met some here in Battambang. But, I know of others in both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. Not so sure if there are any teaching English in Sihanoukville. If you ever find yourself in Battambang, definitely look me up. My g/f is a Filipina as well. She is currently in Cebu City, though.