Shipping questions

My husband and I are moving from Seattle to San Juan next month. We need to ship a few personal things -- household type stuff like fabric (I'm a quilter) and books.  Any suggestions  or advice on  the cheapest way to ship 200 pounds of non-valuable (to anyone but us!) items? 
Thanks!

We did this in January and found USPS Ground is the cheapest. But be forewarned - our boxes (Home Depot moving boxes) arrived in terrible shape. I would reinforce all corners and seams with duct tape.

I shipped my computer UPS and it cost 3x as much as USPS.

Good luck with the move!

I shipped 15 boxes (rubbermade tough totes) by USPS, tough plastic totes can be used here to store goods, and keep out insects.

I would check UPS. You should be able to get an estimate online.

UPS, Fedex, and all the other "private" carriers, consider PR "International", while USPS considers PR "Standard Domestic Shipping"... need I say more? When I tried shipping my items via Fedex, they wanted me to fill out customs forms, and itemize EVERYTHING in the boxes... and the boxes EACH cost an average of $280, depending on weight, while the same boxes where $38, on average, via USPS. I hope I've cleared this little myth up. I have no doubt that prices have gone up, in the last 8-9 years, but USPS will DEFINITELY be your BEST bet!

Mac-

I agree using USPS is your best choice. Just make sure you pack the boxes extra good because they beat the hell out of them before you get them. Someone suggested plastic bins. I'd go that route if you can.

I bought the Rubbermaid tough totes... plastic boxes, the size of a large cooler.... I'm still using them, to keep my goods organized in the back room of the house... I've had them 9years now; a sound investment! I just duct taped them shut,  (12-15; can't remember, I've also aquired a few more, over the years), they all arrived in good condition.

Mac's method is the best and most cost effective. Don't forget the bubblewrap, as Gregg knows!

I used many of those one-price shipping boxes from the post office. Also, I decided to travel Business Class on Delta, because you are allowed to check in three suitcases for free.  I had an extra carry-on (a large ukulele) for which I was not charged extra.  If there are two of you, that means that you can check in six large suitcases, and that is a lot of stuff!  Compared to shipping, this was far less expensive and flying Business Class was a treat.   I purchased my suitcases at the local thrift shop and painted some designs on them.  They were very easy to spot at the baggage pick-up area.

These are some great ideas!

Thanks to all for the advice! I like knowing the WHY of things, so I appreciate the explanation of why USPS is so much cheaper than UPS. I calculated the difference in cost online, and it was huge.

Also, thanks for the info about flying business class! My husband was already talking about  doing that for the comfort, but I'm the frugal one in the family so I wasn't so sure. It looks like American allows 3 checked bags at no charge, so we'll definitely be looking into that. 

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I agree as well. USPS is the way to go. Do not under estimate the value of the large flat rate box from USPS.I shipped three boxes of tiles last year with them and for $18 a box, the savings was huge.

I receive parcels in Puerto Rico like heavy slabs of glass that I have shipped in USPS flat rate priority boxes. I ship chandeliers that I crate in boxes made with luan ply board from Home depot and my costs can be as low as $45 dollars priority for a maximum size box depending on weight too. So I make my crates out of wood to ship larger items. It is important to check out the maximum size allowable if you make your own boxes. With USPS I am able to operate my glass business from PR whereas the other shipping companies would cut into my cost of product.

We just moved to San Juan and USPS is definitely the best and most economical. Just be sure to get a tracking number because postal service depending on where you live is not always timely.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We're shipping boxes via USPS and also flying business class and bringing 3 suitcases each. I pride myself on having few possessions, but there's nothing like a move to disabuse me of that notion.

I'm sure once we've moved into our apartment in Isla Verde I'll have lots more questions.  Our next challenges are getting internet service and buying  a car.

dumplingmx wrote:

Our next challenges are getting internet service and buying  a car.

Most likely the building will have cable TV and a plan with internet would be a good choice. DSL (by Claro) would be another option but I wouldn't recommend that.

If you buy a used car bring somebody who knows about cars and who can check it out. Make sure you only pay the seller after you have the car title transferred to you in a DTOP office or colecturia. Both the previous owner and  you as the new owner have to be present in the DTOP office or colecturia. By getting the title transferred you'll be sure that there are no unpaid fines and/or payments to the financing bank (that would become your problem). Don't trust sellers who won't comply with having the title transferred before you pay.

If you buy a new car the dealer will take care of getting the title in your name. This also applies if you buy a used car from a serious dealer, they do the transfer for you.

Buying a car: www.clasificadosonline.com I was patient, and found a 2009 Focus, with only 26,400 miles, for $7,000. The elderly woman who owned it had moved to FL. It now has 27k (3k miles in 4 months, I don't drive a lot), it still has the new car smell! Be patient, and get what's best for you... private sales are your best bet, in my humble opinion, avoid dealers. Good luck! If you're a church going familt, we've got the coolest Church in Rincón; the church without walls.

The advice Gary gives on making sure title is transferred is absolutely crucial. Don't do it any other way no matter what you think of the seller or what the seller tells you.

I've actually found USPS to be easiest on the boxes over ups and fedex..

Fabric and books? USPS. They have a special rate for books. Toss some fabric in there.

Thanks for all the advice to use USPS! We shipped 7 boxes from Seattle and all arrived safely in two weeks. We had to go to the Carolina Post Office to pick them up, but that turned out to not be a big problem since we now have a car. The line at the post office was long, but once we got to the window the service was excellent. I've found that to be the case in many places here -- long waits for service but very friendly and knowledgeable help once we arrive at the correct window/desk.

So glad you arrived and are getting set up.  Sounds like everything is going smoothly. :)

It's great to know everyone says USPS is the way to go. We're selling most personal property on Craigslist before making the move in August, but will be prepared to send the essentials a week before we leave by USPS. Good advice also on the plastic tubs, because our experience with the boxes is they get really beat up en route.

take as little as possible.... you don't need it and the tropical air will probably ruin it anyway;)

we have lots of Marshall's and TJMAXX and Burlington Coat factories and everything else... what ever you need you can get here.... unfortunatley, we will have the damn 11% tax our idiot govenor has imposed but life is still not bad and he will be out in2016.... not soon enough.

Also, if you fly business or first class you get to check in three suitcases for free.  I flew with Delta from NY and brought a bunch of bigger stuff this way.  The cost, as compared to shipping, was good.  And it was fun to travel this way!