Bringing seeds into Costa Rica

Arnold Ziffle wrote:

Use youtube as a tool. Build your own filter system. PVC and carbon( Kar Bone). The stuff they use here for a BBQ grill. Learn Spanish. The old timers can tell you how to handle water. If you're headed to the central hellhole( San Jose, Santa Ana,Rohmercer, Atenas, Alajuela and other such sewers, I imagine water will be the very least of your worries." Necesito machine gun" might be the first words to learn around those parts.

Sorry. It's all BS. It's as delusional as the US claiming to be a first world nation when the FACTS make it the first, and only, fourth world nation.
Of course I have a link: Necesito dos machine guns, por favor.
http://www.ticotimes.net/2013/10/30/cos … ontroversy

As someone who knows a LOT about water filtration I can tell you that while you can build one that will help, it will not be as good as an NSF or Water Quality Association etc approved one. Multipure or Berkey are 2 of the best but I am pretty sure Multipure does not distribute in Central America (probably due to high import taxes) and I'm not sure about Berkey. With the water being potentially full of bacteria, chemicals, etc. what one would really want would be a reverse osmosis system with an excellent carbon filter along with it - which would filter out almost anything thrown at it. But using one that is Certified by an independent certification org. such as NFS or Water Quality Assoc and made by a reputable company like Berkey or Multipure and a few others is what a person would want, to ensure safe drinking water. The first step is to get YOUR water tested.

I will probably bring one in with me when I move to Costa Rica.
If anyone needs info on water filtration units available in the USA pm me.

Sorry y'all but I'm dropping out of this conversation.  Too much HEAVY negativity and vitrol for my liking.

Arsenic is the water is an ongoing problem in our area, so always have the water checked before purchasing property. If cattle have been previously grazing on the land or uphill where there is heavy run-off may, this could also cause problems with any groundwater or soil.

kohlerias wrote:

Arsenic is the water is an ongoing problem in our area, so always have the water checked before purchasing property. If cattle have been previously grazing on the land or uphill where there is heavy run-off may, this could also cause problems with any groundwater or soil.

Best way to reduce arsenic to safe levels is with a reverse osmosis unit. Do they sell them in CR? If so, what brands (if you happen to know)?

Contact Jim Ryan, for more information.

samramon wrote:
elektraX wrote:
samramon wrote:

Hey I'm hoping you gardening types might help me out:

How do you get rid of leaf cutter ants attacking everything you plant, especially fruit trees? (my property is out in the back country).

How do you kill this very aggressive weed/ cattlefood / grass  called bryzanta? My neighbor says the only thing that will really help is roundup which of course is a very dangerous chemical I would prefer not be used.

Also which veges will grow in the mountains around 2800 feet? Pretty foggy, moderately (for Costa Rica) rainy.

Any tips or tricks would be welcome!

I've had a couple invasions of leef cutter ants, as well.  For immediate results, I mix about 7 ml of citronella essential oil, 10-20 drops of peppermint oil and 1.5-ish cups of water in a spray bottle.  You can shake and spray plants, bases of trees, or even directly spray a horde of ants.  They hate it!  Every time I've used the stuff, they couldn't get away fast enough.  As for ant hills, you can buy mirex-s at your local gardening store.  They are pellets that the ants mistake as food and bring into their nest.  When it rains it releases a gas inside the nest that kills the ants inside of the hill.  It sounds pretty inhumane, but if I have to choose between my citrus trees and the ants, I will choose my trees every time.

I agree with you that killing ants is sometimes necessary. I actually have no problem at all with killing ants.
All I have a problem with is killing them with chemicals that end up :
a) contaminating the soil and food I will be eating
b) leading to the further contamination of the air and water

How "bad" is this mirex-s stuff? I've heard of it but don't know what's in it. Could you tell me the active chemical in it? (I don't live in Costa Rica yet, but I have a caretaker taking care of plants and trees etc.)

I can't say how bad it is, I only use it when I really have to.  I definitely prefer the citronella spray method, to prevent the ants from building a nest on my property in the first place.  Besides citronella oil is super cheap online, and it is very concentrated.  The active ingredient of mirex-s is: N-ethylperfluoro-octane-1-sulfonamide.  As for the inactive ingredients, the package doesn't say.  Good luck!

ElektraX thanks for the info re citronella. Unfortunately as you pointed out, if the ants are already entrenched, something stronger is required, and as someone mentioned, sometimes drastic measures are required - for example, dynamite has been used!

I agree....NO GMO. I NEVER use chemicals or pesticides and grow only heirloom foods. I have no grass in North Dallas. Everything is designed as a perma-culture food forest with fruit trees incorporated into the mix. We MUST halt the abusive means of growing and learn how to really produce foods within the environments we are growing in. The standard practices of Cut, Burn and Poison is a result of ignorance of the landscapes and Nature.  Our lack of  observation and understanding (including our own bodies) is destroying us. When everything is in balance and the soil is thriving, THERE ARE NO PEST ISSUES. Nature will take care of the problems. The pests arrive as a result of imbalances OR trying to produce something that doesn't belong in the environment. Just as there are micro-climates, there are mico-soil climates in each area. The earth is living and has systems as our body has systems.. The heart, lungs, kidneys, liver etc. The soil has the same kinds of things. I often say to Real Estate Developers ( I have been a part of the problem in the past) Let's just dig a hole in your gut and see how long you last. It's a graphic point but so valid regarding the planet. We consume without understanding instead of stewarding and multiply. Such a selfish species we are.

We have poisoned the planet. I am looking for a place somewhere on the planet that is at least interested in abating the situation as a whole. Thus my look at Costa Rica. I am sad to see the GMO and cut, burn, poison problem is being spread to Costa Rica. Not only should we as gringos be leading by example, we should be helping abate any issues of the Standard American Consumer practices as much as we can. The very word consume means to burn up and destroy. Let's be Stewards ... it's a must if our grand children's children are to have a life worth living. We are on the front line as gardeners/farmers and GMO is not the answer nor are pesticides and herbicides if we want to live free of cancer and other COMPOSTING diseases brought on by LIFE/NATURE recycling disease and death into fertilize for new healthy plants and people. The best solution for good health is to understand how to create and sustain life in order to avoid Turning on the Composting genes be they on the farm, garden or your own body. When sickness AND DEATH turns on their signals, NATURE TAKES IT COURSE! That principal applies socially, economically, politically and spiritually as well. NATURE AND LIFE will always rule in the long run.

Yes we have technology.  But I believe this:  Technology is the answer to the WRONG QUESTIONS for the most part.

Study Permaculture and you will find your answers.  I am not familiar with Costa Rica fauna at this point.  However, there are people in the region.  Look them up and find out what they are doing.  They work with balancing nature.  Every plant on the soil tells you want the soil is doing.  If you have  grass that is invasive, there is probably a reason for the grass.  It's either trying to salvage the soil or the soil needs something it is not getting.  Learn your soil and learn to read Nature.  You don't have to cut, burn and poison anything.  We have to learn Nature and understand how to read the landscape.  There are people there who can help you.  I just don't know who they are at this point.  I will be seeking them out when I'm there for the month of March.  If any of you on this forum practice permaculture methods, please let me know.

[moderated: off topic]

I eat a lot of broccoli as it is one of the most healtfull vegetables.  however, if I were there and had that kind of luck, I would try the Appollo variety by Park seeds.  It is advertised that when you cut off the bunch, it sends up a lot of little bunches around it.  It is worth a try.

There are only a couple of seed companies here so choices are very  limited. Broccoli requires a high altitude/ cooler temperature to grow successfully here such as Cartago.

I was doing that sixty years ago and in an area with no frost, and summer temps reaching 120 F

kohlerias wrote:

Is this arsenic naturally occurring or is it from some type of farming practice or ??

I am bringing my own Multipure filter and would recommend others do as well. While they don't sell in Costa Rica the good thing is that you only have to replace the filter once per year and the housing has a lifetime warranty so once per year you get some kind soul to bring you a new cartridge from the states. $70/year for regular, $120/year for arsenic filter replacement. Arsenic can be very dangerous as I'm sure most of you know. Also I just heard that all Costa Rica "government filtered water" (what we call "city water" here in the states but in Costa Rica it's also in the countryside) has a lot of chlorine in it. Chlorine itself is bad for your health. So you do need a good water filter in Costa Rica unless you have spring water and have tested it carefully and thoroughly and on a regular basis.

If anyone needs info contact me or check out whatsthebestwaterfilter on google.

If the seeds are found by customs they will be taken. If there well hidden there shouldnt be a problem. On your person in pockets may be the best way. Ive had them sent and brought to me by others. The plants from up north are normaly okay in the dry season but the rain is too much for squashes and other types not acclimated. I use a simple greenhouse  and have good luck with it.  Now Im only planting in aquaponics and wicking beds. Both work well here. If your only here four months try wicking beds, they water themselves and grow great veggies fast. AP uses live fish so that wouldnt be good unless you eat the fish befofe you go back. Wicking beds are better for you.

I got my seeds through no problem. Put them in checked baggage, not all in one place. Have heard of no one I know having them confiscated but it's certainly possible.

They take away whatever seeds they find, people bringing them to me had them taken. But on a person there not looking and that has always worked for us. There  not looking real hard. Gotta have my crook neck yellow squash...

Is reason that customs takes your seeds is because it is illegal to bring seeds into CR?

Many countries do not permit you to import seeds in case they spiral 'out of control...'

Note that Cost Rican 'insects seem to prefer imported veggie seeds and devour them very quickly' so much of your favorites will not fair well... :mad:

Thank you. So buying your seeds in CR is really the way to go then.

In late December some packages we were expecting through our mail service were delayed for over a week.  Someone had tried hiding some seeds in a package and customs found the seeds.  They confiscated the seeds and then decided that all packages with this mail service had to be opened and inspected for seeds for a while, delaying everyone's packages for some time.

Unfortunately, there is very little selection of the variety and companies selling  seeds....but you should try to get short day seeds (for veggies) if possible. Nothing like the selection that you can see in garden stores in North America.

Remember that we are in a topical climate, so even if you can find the seeds you want, conditions vary and many just won't work in some areas of the country. Many areas of Guanacaste, water can be limited and we are presently experiencing 'drought conditions'.

Many expat gardeners stick to growing herbs in pots... :top:

Hello Kohlerias,

Your profile says that you live in both Canada and CR. We will be living full time in Guanacaste, between Tamarindo and Nosara, and had planned on eating out of our green house for the most part. From what I am reading on the forum this will not be an easy task. Can I ask you what your personal experiences were with growing vegetables?

Thank you,

No, we live in Guanacaste, full time...and like the area you mention expect the day time temps to be in the 90's most of the year., which is not optimal growing conditions.
A 'glass' greenhouse will not do it, as it will be too hot, but many use green mesh covering that will will be OK for some veggies. The heavy rain, will totally 'squash' the veggies growing in a garden without some type of covering.
But expecting to only be eating what you grow, is expecting a lot. If this is part of your expected budget, please do not rely on it.
Fruit trees, grow well.... :top:

The best growing areas are at a high altitude, so in the mountains.

Personally, we now just have fruit trees an herbs.

Many move here with such high expectations of growing a garden...but most give up or just grow watermelons... :cool:

We are at the 2900 ft. level and there are two very large greenhouses in our development that belong to two different individuals.  They experimented with MANY different types of vegetables and are now down to a core three or four.

I should have mentioned that just because a fruit tree is growing in your area, it doesn't mean that it  will ever produce fruit.

If a developer or real estate agent tells you that you will be able to be self sustainable and/or be able to live on what you can grow...pass on it. And growing organically, is even harder.

Not even  a large farm, can produce enough produce for you, all year round.

That is funny. No it wasn't a have to have, but I had these grand illusions of my husband and I becoming hippies and wearing funny hats :0) Oh well. I have heard about the sun shades and the rains and had planned on coming up with something that might work . There is a FB page that we have been watching from CR, Rancho Mastatal Sustainability Education Center, where we might go and spend some time gaining some knowledge from the locals. Thank you for the information  :)

Hello there,

Do you know which ones eventually worked for them?

That green cover for green houses is called "saran" like Saran wrap, and we just bought some. It cuts down on the sun when you want to grow anything in an area where there is full sun. I've seen many viveros or nurseries using it here. It's about $3 for 2 meters x 1 meter. We just bought 7 meters of it and I'll report back how it works.

We're just trying to grow mani' which is like clover, as a ground cover, instead of grass because it's good for holding the soil against erosion.
Any comments here re experience on growing grass or ground cover?

If you live in the "campo" you are likely to have your veges eaten by various animals, especially deer, racoons, and such. Fruits may be eaten by birds and monkeys.

We may eventually try a fenced in (small squares of fencing; ie fence birds and animals cannot pass) in a cage type framework, perhaps up off the ground, too... to see if we can grow veges. Right now we're just trying to grow grass and flowers and trees!

Easier to buy sod, and cut it into small pieces and it will soon spread and fill in.
I like mani and it too, is easy to grow but I don't like that 'things hide in it...'...but it is good on a slope.

Squirrels are notoriously bad for eating the blooms of the growing plants.

kohlerias wrote:

Easier to buy sod, and cut it into small pieces and it will soon spread and fill in.
I like mani and it too, is easy to grow but I don't like that 'things hide in it...'...but it is good on a slope.

Squirrels are notoriously bad for eating the blooms of the growing plants.

Questions re your post:
When you say buy "sod" does that mean "grass" as we know it in the USA? I heard that buying squares of grass is very expensive here. Do you know an inexpensive source in the central valley?

When you say "things hide in it" do you mean terciopelos or other venemous snakes? I would have thought it was too low for them to hide in. The mani' I see around here looks pretty short. Maybe you have to trim it to keep it that way just like U.S.A grass?

The sod... probably similar to what you  had at home... that we have purchased has been very reasonable but I don't have info on the cost in the central valley. I have seen about 4 different types of sod/grass for sale at sod farms.

The roots system on mani is very open, and does not lie flat on the ground, so you don't know what is in there. More like insects including scorpions and not snakes which  are bigger... :o

I like the look of mani...but don't like to walk on it.

There is many varieties of ground covering plants growing here, but I don't think you can purchase them in a vivero

bard wrote:

There are all the seeds you need here, there are farmer supply stores everywhere and EPA the home depot of CR has a lot of seeds plus plus already started plants.

For a lark I purchased some asparagus seeds I knew they grew
in CR but didnt know where.  Bingo I have a large asparagus patch
that produces large amounts  at 4800 ft. central valley.

Now I am looking for artichokes if anyone knows where to find these I will promise you a batch.  They do grow here but smaller.

Exactly what I was going to say.  All seeds discussed above are available here.  Why bother importing them?

Re leaf-cutters, ants, hormigas:   they are a problem year-round,  but I control them with Lorsban 2.5 SP.  It's available anywhere chemicals are sold.  It's a powder that is pumped directly into the mound. 

It takes time, but you need to follow the ants back to their mound for the location. It can be 30 meters or more from where you find them.  Pump the powder in once and then again after about five days and they will be eliminated. 

I had a group come in at night last week.  They ate all the leaves on one of my banana trees in just two nights.  They passed a number of other banana trees to get to this one.  Their mound was on the neighbors property about 40 meters away.

- Expat Dave

Bring all the squash you can, the local ones arent as good. Tomato, cucumber and beet seeds are available at most any ag store and some hardware stores. You will need to improvise a roof of some sort in the rainy season. I had yellow squash that were growing greAt til the rain came. Anyone wanting to know more can pm me. I have some gardening experiance here and I speak spanish fluently. Id be happy to help. Bring seeds on you and they wont get taken. In your luggage is iffy.

I brought seed packets from US in February and was never questioned. I didn't list them, just tucked in with my other stuff.

Thats just it, there not looking very hard for seeds but if there found, they get taken. I wouldnt bother except for summer squash and anything like a specific veriaty of veggie. I never hsve seen yellow squash seed, or pattipan. But my seeds grew well from the states and produced untill the rainy season killed them. You will need a shelter of greenhouse for the rainy season for some things. Thats my experiance at 1300 meters, down south near San Vito.

I also have had problems with leaf cutting ants on flowering bushes.  I have been now using a pesticide for termites Dragnet. I followed their trail to their nest and heavily sprayed and it has done the trick.  I did this 1 1/2 weeks ago and haven't seen the ants since.  Next time I would like to try garlic because I have been told that it will deter snakes. I don't think that it would be a good idea to use Dragnet on a vegetables.   If others have ideas I would greatly like to here them.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to get rid of all the leaf cutter ants...although they be out of sight for a while, they will be back.

Oh no!