Need furniture buying suggestions

My husband and I are moving to the San Juan area soon. The condo we are renting for 6 months is only partially furnished, so we will be needing some living room furniture (the condo has beds and a small dining table/chairs).

The problem is that we don't plan to stay in SJ much longer than 6 months. We want to make San Juan our home base while we visit other areas, eventually settling down somewhere, probably on the west side of the island. We want something serviceable but cheap that we can easily sell or give away when we move on.  Or we might consider renting furniture if that's an option in SJ (I've never done that in the states so the concept is new to me).

Thanks!

www.clasificadosonline.com

Rent a center, but you will pay weekly. Try Rooms To Go, the outlet ones, fair prices.

Hello dumplingmx,

You can also try to post an ad in the Furniture in Puerto Rico section to spread the word better.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Ikea is an option as well.

I'd rent.

Would a thrift store be a possibility?

Do they have thrift stores in PR?  I've never seen any and that would be great if there was some.

I've ran across a couple of thrift stores in OSJ.  One is called Ecomania, and there is another one that I can't remember the name of.  There's also a Salvation Army that's on the road heading out of OSJ in front of Pier (muelle) 9.  Hope this helps!

I've seen a small thrift store in Mayaguez on rte. 2. Haven't gone there yet but also there are a couple of flea market or pulguero in Aguadilla also on rte. 2 and in Mayaguez on rte. 2 and also in the Mani area. We haven't gone but my brother in law says that it is good and only open on the weekends. Maybe they have some good stuff.  Will advise when we go.

I recently furnished three bedrooms and two living rooms. All but one bedroom came from ikea. The master bedroom came from rooms to go in Fajardo and I am very pleased with it and with the service I received. I also bought my washer and dryer from them and feel I got a good deal on everything.
I am please with my Ikea furniture but getting it was a nightmare. they gave my delivery person the wrong order and getting it exchanged was a fiasco. I think without the screw ups, ikea was great. but with the screw-up....questionable.

Where is Ikea? Or did you order on line?  Thanks.

I first bought some basics at a store called Ahorra Muebles.  I do not know if they have a store in your area.  I also recommend Rooms To Go outlets. They have a changing selection of 'imperfect' furniture.   You purchase what is right there, and they deliver for a reasonable fee.  And, the furniture comes assembled.  (I have purchased 'assembly required' furniture many times in my life!)

Great to know, everyone, thank you for the information!

Hi, Tonie.  Have you tried the thrift store or flea markets yet?  Which one is it that is only open on weekends?  Thanks!

frogrock wrote:

There's one Ikea store on the island as far as I know, it's in Bayamon.

Oh wow! Did not know you all had an IKEA!!

There are three Ikea showrooms, one in Bayamon, one in Ponce and one in Carolina. However...the stores are Ikea "lite". They have very small showrooms and nothing is for immediate pickup. Everything is centrally warehoused, which you can't visit. You shop, you place your order and you pick it up once it is available-and that's not the same day as I found out when we forgot the led light bulbs for a lamp. Or, you have it delivered. The best way to go (if you are comfortable shopping online and don't have to touch it) is to go to their site:

https://www.ikea.pr/puertorico/desktop/es_pr/

Click on the little flag icon in the center of the header for English. We used Ikea to mostly furnish our condo, They charged a $75 delivery charge to our place in Fajardo (outside San Juan metro-inside would be $50) but that was for 3 bedrooms plus living room and dining room furniture. We were pretty happy with the whole experience-except for the light bulbs which I wound up going next door (in Carolina) to the Home Depot to get.

There are TONS of furniture stores on the island... IKEA is not one I would recommend.

COSTCO and SAMS has furniture; BERRIOS, PITUSA are local stores with good selections and fast delivery; Sears, West Elm in Plaza Las Americas...even MARSHALLS and TJ MAXX  have all you could ever need, especially in the way of small pieces: chairs, stools, drapes, mirrors, chests etc.  Bed Bath and Beyond has small stuff.   
None are very expensive and you can always get rid of them.  there is also ROOMS TO GO and Rent a CENTER if you want to rent.    every small town has a local furniture store as well.   FURNITURE WAREHOUSE in CAROLINA is also a great option; in that area there is also a ROOM TO GO outlet where you can pick up pieces for discounted prices...

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. Because I was in a hurry, and we don't have a car yet, I ordered a few essentials from IKEA. They delivered the correct furniture, but not on the day I had requested.  I had a very good reason for requesting the delivery on a certain day so I'm sure it was their mistake and not mine.   Anyway, I called when the delivery didn't show up and they promised to come the next day, which they did.

Bottom line,  I would recommend IKEA if you don't mind ordering online. However, I would also suggest that if you have your order delivered that you contact them the morning you are expecting it to make sure your delivery date matches theirs!

I gotta check out IKEA here on the island. I used to buy there every now and then back in Europe, where they started their business.

Are there any stores that have unique stuff kind of like Ikea and West Elm but not the same if you know what I mean... eclectic stuff...Also has anyone tried to build there own pallet furniture? I just saw some extremely well done pallet tables and bars in the Plaza Las Americas this week... looking for a place that has cheap pallets for sale.

I am not sure about the stores yet as we just moved here.. but as far as pallets I would go to Walmart or HomeDepot and talk with them..we were able to just go and pickup as many FREE pallets as we wanted from Walmart to do planters for our fence;-)

Awesome... I'll check that out... I was also thinking of asking at National to... We also just moved here...we live in Fajardo.

There is a store called Alia that is Marshalls-ish. I have picked up some furniture and kitchen supplies there.  One of their stores is located in Caguas near exit 18 off route 52.

There is an Ikea showroom in Ponce. Free shipping, I'm told

There is an Ikea showroom in Ponce. Free shipping, I'm told

frogrock wrote:

There are three Ikea locations in the Island...Bayamon, Carolina, and Ponce. Here is the website:https://ikea.pr/puertorico/desktop/en_us

try the docks or Costco... they might sell them or throw them out.

We passed a Rooms to Go Outlet in Humacao.  It looked big and there were many cars parked in the lot.

barrios has an outlet store in moca    nice but alot cheaper then regular furniture stores        however    ots of nice stuff in the classifies. you live in the san juan area   you will have lots to chose from

Hi
The way Ikea Puerto Rico works is you can go to the showroom and check a couple of floor samples out and place an order there(from the catalogue too) or go to the website and place your order. you will then get an email when your order is ready to be picked up. Generally a couple of days.

IKEA is also in Carolina! Not like you expect one to be if you have been. It's a catalog  store 😞

Ikea has only been in the island since 2013. Before that if you wanted something from Ikea you were out of luck...you could not order anything at all by internet or phone. I do wish they would offer more product here though, I think they would be more successful if they did.

There is a furniture liquidators warehouse that we stumbled upon today in Carolina , just East of Maderera Donestevez in Carolina.  It's nothing fancy but they have all kinds of furniture for sale at reasonable prices and are willing to negotiate. 

There is a Rooms To Go Liquidacion in Carolina that we found some good prices and selection at today.