I am planning on moving to D.R and I need help....

I speak 4 and would love..... to add Spanish as my 5th. French, English,  Creole and German.

you will have no problem with Spainsh.  PM me & I'll send you the lessons.  You also Robert Davies.   I have an eye operation in the a.m.  ( MOnday, the 16th).  By the end of the week shall be able to do it.   Which Creole, island, Cajun, or?  I cook a lot of Cajun creole dishes.  I love hot spicy foods.

spicy food are my favs.... I speak Haitian Creole. My mom is  Haitian, my dad is half German and French.

gypsy I pm you yesterday

Good luck with the operation.

The only problem she'll have in Santo Domingo is the chaos on the streets primarily due to the Sindicatos del Transporte and the freaking heat that even for us locals its unsettling.

Welcome RDE.......... you are right.  The big issue in the capital is the damn congestion and traffic. And yes it is hotter there due to all that concrete and lack of trees and grass!!!!

wow! They don't respect road signs over  there or what?

Hahahah  no.  Not roadsigns,  not traffic lights, not stop signs, not rights of way..............nada!!! It is a giant free for all sometimes!!!!   In many ways it is every man for himself. The bigger you are the more right of way you have!

We recommend NOT trying to drive here for some time!

It's better than a video game. Red lights are optional. Stop signs don't mean anything and one way means whatever way you are going :)

It's like Asia but not as congested :)

jeez! glad I ask bcuz I was thinking about shipping my 2014 car over.  humm thank you for the info. ( man I love this website....)

sounds fun and dangerous at  the same  time

The driving is not the problem. The taxes of shipping your car over is :)

Dont bother with the car - it will cost too much to send without having your residencia first.  And this country will chew it up... and spit it out.  Roads are bad in some places, worse in others and unpassable in still others......

Shipping a car. ....NO
Driving here especially in city.....NO
YOur having planned this venture out....NOT well done
Your chance of success.........questionable

Bob K

Thanks Planner for the welcome, I enjoy a lot reading the opinions good and bad of expats who come to this half island in the middle of the caribbean.

Also I forgot another thing we dominican men do a lot on the street.. the "Piropos", and I think its just not only a dominican thing, its a Latino thing in general.. Latino men are more expressive. If shes hot enough according to "our standars" (wich bassically are women from gringolandia lol) she"ll have to expect that for sure jejej

"If shes hot enough according to "our standars""

Is this kind of comment really appropriate here ?

what are  you talking about RDE1000?

Actually  Julien it probably is appropriate.   He is referring to the  "attention" a foreign woman gets here and needs to be prepared for! 

A "gringa" or foreign woman will get attention just because she is a foreign woman. Now, if she is "hot" then it goes up exponentially!   

So a valid comment -  to the original poster - be prepared for this. It is a very latino thing, not just Dominican.

oh... Lol