Excess baggage.

A question.

Each person on Air Malta is allowed 20kg hold baggage and 10kg cabin baggage.

Now; excess baggage may be purchased (at phenomenal rates); E13.50 per kilo (online purchase) or E17 per kilo at the airport. (in 5kg increments)

So, 30 kg of excess baggage (20kg + 10Kg) would cost either E405 or E510 depending on how bought.

It is a lot cheaper to buy a ticket for a passenger who does not fly and use their baggage entitlement.

Has anyone tried this?
I'm going to ask the airline but thought I'd ask here  :)

Might be cheaper upgrading to business class ?

Cheers
Ricky

Yep, we've seen that when we bought our tickets a month ago and were kind of... O___O (and so we decided to sell pretty much everything we own and come as light as possible, then buy what we need once settled in Malta)
And you are right, the plane ticket cost us 90 euros each, so that doesn't make any sense at all.

I think this is why people have children lol ;)

Yeah we came on Ryan air and had two rucksacks between us ,(we didn't want to pay the expensive hold baggage charge)
We bought stuff needed once we arrived and got settled

We're not bringing stuff over, nothing to do with my question.
I've been here for quite some time so not thinking of it in that way.
(And we shipped a container.)
Ricky I would upgrade but not available and we already have the 'best seats in the house' on this particular flight.
Others, elsewhere are telling me that unaccompanied baggage would not be taken on board (obviously!!) but one could perhaps argue the point as to what is or what is not accompanied. (However, that would probably cause a hiatus here and being thrown off the flight.) Air Malta has no entry at all for 'unaccompanied baggage' either which is a shame as BA do some good deals.
I am far from being a stranger to travel but just thought I'd ask the question; no big deal really.

For security reasons you would not be able to check in luggage for someone who is not flying !

Its the traveling passenger who is allocated the luggage allowance.

No show means no allowance.

Terry

I understand the security implications and rules are rules but in practical terms it makes no difference; provided those whose bag it is can prove the bag is theirs and they are travelling.
It makes a huge difference to the airline and their profit though.

surely there must be other unattended packages in the hold - not just those that belong to passengers.

I agree and there are companies the will send your unaccompanied baggage.

Interesting!  Have this dilemma myself.  Aside from DHL, anyone any suggestions about other companies that would shift unaccompanied baggage from Granada to Malta?
Or is one not allowed to ask for specifics?

what about looking into one of the newer websites where you put what you want moving from where to where and they will quote you for the job and you pay it ..
theres a program on c4 uk called shipping wars and they use uship, and any van
https://www.uship.com/uk/http://www.anyvan.com/bidding-tv-transport

Try this site: http://www.excess-baggage.com/baggage_s … .php#items

Many thanks, Rob.  You are always so helpful with everyone!  Will look into the sites you mention.  Cheers