I'm interested in purchasing an apartment or condo in Sousa or Caberet

I'm looking for some advice on relocating to northern Dominican Republic.  I'm looking at the Sousa-Cabarete area!  I plan on using this to vacation over the next several years with the hope of retiring there!  I'm single, and a nurse practitioner!  Does anyone know if I would be able to practice there?  Is this a safe area for a single woman?  Are there any expat American areas in these places.  Any recommendations?

Welcome to the forums.  There is a lot of info on the forums for you to read about the north coast.  YEs it is safe as long as you follow some rules. Read the thread about crime, lots of good info in there.   

I am a single woman,  11 years here. Its safe if you act right,   There are lots of expats on the north coast, lots of Americans.

Nurse practitioner - I do not think you can practice here. Bob will know more!  And you need residencia and a cecula to work.

Pam welcoome

First a off have you  been here before?  Before you  buy anythnng you  need to come and spend some time (not as a touist onan AI resort) and see if the place "fits" for you.  It is not for everyone.

As to safety  yes if you use your head and are smart about "living" here you should do fine.  There are lot single women living here an doiing we There is a very large expatt community here in the 'sosua/Cabarete area

No  you  will not be able to work here  as nurse practioner and as PLanner said ot work here you will need your residency and cedual.

Please read the multiple posts here on living here and please feel free to ask away. There is lots of good informatino to be had here.

Have a great day and stay warm :D

Bob K

Thanks Planner!
I'm making plans to come down this November for a vacation!  I have been to Samana several years ago and Punta Cana! 

Do you recommend a region that would suite my needs as a single woman?  I was looking at Sousa & Cabarete? 

Should I contact a realtor or look on my own when I'm here? 

Since I will need to work for the next several years I plan on buying or  an apartment and coming down for a month at a time  twice a year and letting my children come as well either with or without me! 

If I could work as a nurse practitioner that would get me there sooner! 

So you can buy health insurance without being a resident! 

If you become a resident do you still have to do US taxes?
Thanks all,
Pam