ROAD TOLL Changes....new county vignette...

For those of you who have cars, please be aware of changes on the motorway vignette system affecting previously free sections of the M0 etc.  The regulations are unclear but it looks like HUF 5K for a yearly vignette. This obviously introduces complexity into the system with some parts of the highway system being free and others not.  Anyway, the story will develop over the next few days. You can read about it here: Motorway Vignettes for County Level

It turned out that you need a 'county' vignette (if you don't already have a motorway vignette) to use dual carriageways in any given county .... We bought ours to use the new dual carriageway / M86 into Szombathely, then they backed down & withdrew the requirement for both sections of the (unfinished) M86 that are currently drive able - so now, we have to do a 40km round trip just to get our refund !!!
Beurocracy lives 😳

Angolhapsi wrote:

It turned out that you need a 'county' vignette (if you don't already have a motorway vignette) to use dual carriageways in any given county .... We bought ours to use the new dual carriageway / M86 into Szombathely, then they backed down & withdrew the requirement for both sections of the (unfinished) M86 that are currently drive able - so now, we have to do a 40km round trip just to get our refund !!!
Beurocracy lives 😳

Yup, that's HU for you.  Half-assed and ill planned out thinking.  In a month, we'll have that utterly stupid Sunday closing shop law to contend with.  Quite a few years ago, there was a law for about 3 weeks where no-one could export more than 3 bottles of wine from Hungary. Soon was withdrawn.  I believe they will demand soon that kids of 3 years old have to attend kindergarten. They say it's to improve healthcare/nutrition. I can see that in some circumstances it could work out but then again, this isn't supposedly a 3rd world country. It's getting worse here.  It's the behaviour of a banana republic.

Thanks for the head's up on this insane issue.
So unclear as to where you must pay and where you can get on the road.
Last Sunday we drove from Budapest to Budaors. We may of got on the highway too soon coming home, not sure yet.
time will tell if we get a ticket in the mail. We did not see any signs before we got back on the highway near Budapest.
I hate these cheap shots at people, why not post large clear signs beforehand.

I understand from a friend in BP that they withdrew the need to pay for that section, as they did here out in the sticks 😝
Aren't they SO good to us ..... 😳

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Thanks for the head's up on this insane issue.
So unclear as to where you must pay and where you can get on the road.
Last Sunday we drove from Budapest to Budaors. .....

I believe the Budapest-Budaors section IS subject to the country vignette. We had to buy one.  It used to be free as far as Biatorbagy.  The only places where it's free is where road improvements were paid for by the EU.

You can get the county level vignette at any petrol (gas) station. 

You need the registration (tag) numbers and country as they use it for the vignette when they the automatic controls (by camera).  Obviously if you have very foreign plates - like USA, Canada etc, then the chances of getting a letter in the post is microscopically small.

So, my wife went in to the relevant office [40kms away!!] with the receipt for the Vignette - good job we kept it, not just trusting that it was recorded ..... and they said that she could not claim the refund, as the car is in my name, not hers .......BUT, they said, it can be done online ....
So, last night, I put my thinking cap on, and sat down in front of the website www.nemzetiutdij.hu and found the 'refund claim form' [all in Magyar of course!!] relatively easily.
So far, so good.
Then, filling out the form was equally easy, BUT, they only refund to your bank, and judging by the allocated space for bank details, only if you have an Hungarian Bank Account .... AND they needed the vignette number [see above  :o ] .... Form duly completed & submitted, now just waiting for the funds to re-appear ..... Shan't be holding my breath, though !!  :/:dumbom: