Money

I am visiting Bahrain shortly to stay with friends, would I be better bringing sterling or dollars.
Would appreciate any advice/suggestions

Well I recommend dollars as most places will also accept dollar, but you can also change it to Bahraini Dinars when you get here. You cannot spend sterling but exchange it to BHD if needed.

If you can, I would book in advance with a Travelex in the UK and order some BHD before you arrive. Otherwise you are at the mercy of anyone's interpretation of the exchange rate.

Plus, as I guess you are coming from the UK(?!) there is no point effectively paying to change up your currency twice from £ to $ to BHD.

Travelex rates are usually a rip off. Plus, since BHD value is directly linked to USD, there is not any loss there. When you come to Bahrain, you can go to Bahrain Financing Company (BFC) located throughout the country and also at the airport to convert your money into BD without any loss.

As soon as you get off the airplane you will have the chance to visit the money changer - don't know if that is the BFC one Brighton was talking about, though.

Yes, its the Bahrain Financing Company counter in the arrival lounge.

And I agree, Travelex rates are a rip off.