Looking to retire to Medellin with my Husband- About Safety there??

Hi Phil,  Thanks for your interest in meet-ups.  I found them important when I travelled to other countries.
My husband and I were all revved up about Medellin as a possible full time retirement destination or just a winter retreat....been reading a lot of blogs on living in Medellin and thru Google Maps walked thru various streets and, well, now we are getting cold feet.  We just saw too  many electrified wires and metal fences and barricades surrounding what looked like middle or upper middle class homes in Poblado and Leureles.....I also read that Columbia's government and FARC are now meeting in Cuba to organize a cease fire and well, I think you know where I am headed. So, any advice?
Bonnie

Hello Bonnie

To increase visibility on your post, please note that a new thread has been created from the latter on the Medellin Forum.

I invite you to browse through threads in our section Everyday Life in Medellin to gather some infos.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I just spent 9 days with my fiancee in Medellin and I have to say that i enjoyed every minute.  I am now making plans to retire there myself.  Sure there are some areas of Medellin that I would not care to visit.  But that is pretty much I think in all big cities. 

Will

I have lived from 2007 until 2009 in Ñaurelles and it was ik never had any trouble. But for the HEAT and the TRAFFIC we finally decided to go to live near Rionegro in the town of Marinilla which is a lot quiter, kids can run artound without you have to worry we bought a big farm where we grow our own veggies and we opened a Restaurant facebook.com/RestauranteLaTorre here the nights are fresher you do not need Air conditioning or ventilators and we have here all modern facilities in the region that you can imagine. Lot's of foreigners coming to install themselves here by the way.

Hi Bonnie.  I've been living in Colombia (originally from Las Vegas) for over 8 years now, with no problems.  However, it is true, petty theft, especially burglaries, are common.  So, EVERYONE has bars on their window.  If they have a yard, there will be a fence, with razor wire on top to keep the thieves out. Also, the pickpockets are very skilled here.  So, never carry large amounts of cash with you.  It's also a good idea to only take taxi's you get, by calling the phone number you see plastered on them, especially when alone.

Okay, that's the scary part.  As I said, I've been living here for over 8 years and I have to tell you, I have zero interest in ever returning up north.  Living here is like heaven, compared to the prison up there.  The people are friendly and very helpful.  We live in a small town about 50 kms from Medellin and it's wonderful.  I will say, we only go to Medellin, when it is absolutely necessary.  Living in a small town, you get to know the locals and they get to know you.  It makes life a lot easier.

I remember once, about two years, we finished our grocery shopping and my debit card wouldn't work in the card reader.  They said, don't worry about it, just come back tomorrow and see if it works then.  BTW, they deliver our groceries free of charge... It's called "domocilio".  We've even returned home only to discover we had forgotten something.  I quick call to the store and a few minutes it arrives at our door.

Colombia is incredible!!!

Welcome,

Merrill