Salary & Cost of Living Advice for New Delhi - can you help?

Hi everyone,

I am a New Zealander who has been offered a posting in New Delhi for one year, with salary of 45,000 p.m. I should point out that the position is with a humanitarian NGO, and salary is certainly not my motivation in moving to India. That said, I have never been to India before and would like to know if this amount will be enough to survive on. I am a professional woman travelling independently. The office is located in Sector 6, RK Puram, and I would want to find accommodation nearby.

Any advice or insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to arrive in New Delhi within the next one-two months.

Thank you so much

Try this website to give you an idea for cost of living. www.numbeo.com I use it when I am looking to head away. overseas each time.

Hi  Aimililly

Yes, 45000 would serve you purpose in Delhi...

its enough to get you a very good place in green park, hauz khas or RK puram itself and cover your living expenses...

if u plan properly, u can even travel around....Even Delhi has reasonably okay night life.....so u can explore that as well...in the same budget...

post here if you have any other questions....

Regards,
Pradeep

For salary www.payscale.com  this site may help you.

Thank you very much for the helpful replies. Much appreciated!

[ Moderated : Inappropriate content, Please avoid generalisation ]

Hi.. I think the amount being offered will take care of your expenses. . Delhi is moderately safe.. but you should avoid travelling out at night if you do then ve a companion and a car.

Thanks Stumpy. I am very aware that New Delhi has been in the media a fair bit lately for some not so great reasons, but I'm sure reasonable precautions can be taken...

Congratulations. Much more that you got a position in the field of your liking. RK Puram is a Central area and quite safe. Mostly a colony of Government Officers. So nothing to worry on that account. There are number of places whereby you can get an accommodation. However, being a working lady my personal advice, which may differ from person to person, is that you can go for a paid Guest house accommodation in good localities and near your place of work to avoid transport time which otherwise is quite good. It is reasonable distance from the High Commission. Best wishes - for further inputs you can contact me at [email protected].

AimilillyNZ wrote:

Thanks Stumpy. I am very aware that New Delhi has been in the media a fair bit lately for some not so great reasons, but I'm sure reasonable precautions can be taken...

Kia ora.

For safety you just need to always be aware of where you are and take simple precautions. Having lived and worked in conflict zones I now do it as a matter of course even when I am home in Laos.

You Should Go South Part of Delhi  for living,as it is considered  to be as the most Vibrant Zone Of New Delhi, The Roads,The Amenities,The Culture is Very Good For any Foreign Expatriates. you will also find  some Good Restaurants which offers really good international food,Good Shopping Malls,Street Cafes,Market Places Makes it really a Good Place to Live in.
But You will have to keep in Mind the South Delhi part is Comparatively Expensive,You can also Prefer to stay in Gurgaon as it is comparatively more affordable and really offers some good Living Places, and also has a good connectivity with most of the part in delhi.

The OP prefers to stay nearby her office. Good locations to stay near RK Puram are Vasant Vihar (10 min), Green Park (15 min)and Safdarjung Enclave (10 min) and if you can get a rented apartment in RK Puram itself, nothing but the best. Its a safe and clean area. Just follow the simple precautions and use common sense.

45k is decent enough for your Accommodation, Food, Travelling and bit of leisure.

Let me know in case you need any further info.

Welcome to Delhi !

Since everyone is talking of accommodation best suited for an expat near sec6 RK Puram, & since the rent constitutes the one major expense in any metropolitan city & also since one spends the major part of one's stay in one's home & it has a bearing on overall experience of a place & the happiness quotient - so I couldn't help myself from commenting on this aspect where something has been left unsaid..

Well, I don't think you can get independent accommodation in RK Puram itself since you are an expat because although some Indians sort of sublease government flats from allottees, but strictly speaking that's illegal as its meant for only the government employees who its allotted to.

There's very few private flats in RKP & to take a full 2 room + living room set would be sort of wastage of money unless shared with someone else in which case your privacy gets compromised.

So

If you really want the cheapest stay, then its Munirka village (5 to 6000 Rupeesfor a single room). It's a place FULL OF students & single working people but the place is like a boxes stuffed together in narrow winding lanes... I wouldn't live there if I had 45K per month coming to me.

The 2nd option & according to me the best option at your salary & sec6 RKP as work place is :

The new Common Wealth games flats in Vasant Kunj. They are situated where Nelson Mandela Road ends.

They have availability a plenty for 1 room+ living room sets (comes with saperate toilet & bathroom + a balcony & since government had prepared them as accommodation for sportspersons participating, so were already furnished with furniture Airconditioner etc.

So you get a ready functional home without having to spend on furnishing it.

I have seen many expats shifted & living there. & almost any bus that goes on Nelson Mandela road would reach you to Sec 6..

The rent for such furnished 1 room + living room set would cost you about Rs.15000 per month (electricity charges etc are always separate)

The flats are decent to live & would make your stay worthwhile. See a few different ones before deciding on a perticular flat to see which u like better (in terms of sun, the veiw outside ur balcony,  the vibrations of neighborhood et al.)

A single lady friend ur age (Indian) has been living here & her take home is 40000 rupees, so that should be a pointer as to what locals choose...

They might ask u for 17000 Rupees as Rent but you stick to your stand that u can only spend 15000 & eventually they will agree.

Hope it helps :)

Best wishes for a wonderful stay here !

More excellent advice and places I hadn't considered. Thank you so much for taking the time to message and let me know. (Hopefully benefitting other people in a similar situation too.) I appreciate the warm welcome to Delhi :-)

delhi is a beautiful city....

and expenses depends on how you want to live and enjoy your life ..!

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + no copy/paste as well)

Dear Friend,
Greetings!
Welcome to New Delhi.
i am Dr Abraham, earlier worked for An International NGO called The Leprosy Mission Trust India based at Delhi. Now i have moved to Bangalore, working as a Senior consultant in St Martha's Hospital Bangalore.

You can find an accommodation in RK puram itself. so that problem related to travel is reduced considerably. Another option is you can find accommodation in Dwarka (one of biggest residential society in Delhi). and commute to RK puram is just 8 - 10 kms from Dwarka.
you can contact me through email <selvasekar_abraham> , <sabraham.doc>
my mobile is +91 87621 07639. if you are interested i can arrange accommodation in Dwarka where i stayed in Delhi, .

Please feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Regards

Abraham</sabraham.doc></selvasekar_abraham>

With all regards to you having lived in Dwarka Abraham & sort of being an old hand in Delhi, I wish to point out a few things for a person having office in RKPuram & considering a residence in Dwarka :

No doubt the commute might be as many kilometers as you say but have you considered how much time it takes to commute to RKPuram "from" Dwarka in the morning crossing the Palam flyover?

& further how much time it takes from RKP back in the evening when whole of Dwarka residents are coming back from city center to their homes?

Its madness as this short distance takes "atleast" 1 hour 15 minutes (75 minutes) if not 1 hour 30 minutes & whole of Dwarka residents know this perticular frustration encountered by them everyday while going towards city center in morning & coming back home in the evening...

I have just finished my lease in Dwarka & swear I will not try there again.

Let's presume the lady takes up a place in Dwarka for her stay in India, then what was her experience of Delhi when she looks back at the end of her stay?

All working days completely exhausted at the end of the day (she does'nt have a family to come back home to- a family sort of takes away your tiredness in terms of positive vibes & distribution of work & 'to-do' things)

Expats do somehow require other expat "friends" in a foreign country to unwind, & no expat friend would like to commute to such corner of the city which consumes to much time to travel to (hardly any expats live in Dwarka) I mean there's a difference between calling friends over & a call one recieves when you fix up to meet within half an hour at each other's place or a place worth going to for drinks/dance/coffee...

& virtually all happening places are in south Delhi where one loves to meet friends & that long commute from Dwarka would ensure almost nil unwinding on working days. & even for other days forget about impromptu programs (they have to be carefully planned in advance)

I have suffered so I know...
(Distance is a killer of "life")

I suppose she's not coming here merely to survive her 6/12 months but rather to have a "recharging" & positive experience in a vibrant country :)

Let's advise what's best suited to a person after understanding her predicament & getting together our experience of the city before penning it here..

As for your trying to get your friend's or relative's house in Dwarka on rent, there are numerous property dealers in Dwarka you can contact who will get you tenant for the house or can also advertise Online in different websites :)

Best wishes !

Warm Friend :)

AimilillyNZ,

Your appreciation is appreciated :)

That location I suggested you came to my mind because I myself am trying to find a suitable apartment for myself there (after having zeroed down on them particular apartments complex) & while going around with different property dealers to look at different flats numerous times was struck by how many expats of different hues have shifted there & realized that it's a convenient & reasonably priced furnished accommodation for them...

(Infact was rueing the fact that they have discovered it- & now there would be as many less available flats for us natives) ;)

Hi,
You are welcomed to India. You will find India very homely and charming. People are very warm and courteous.
In Delhi, you will face no problem with Rs.45,000.00 in hand. You will get a flat nearby to your office, rent depends on your accommodation i.e. one room set or two room set.For any help or advice , you can contact me.

Once, again welcome to DELHI.

Sat Parkash Vashist

hi....this is mahi...wat a coincidence ..i also live in r.k puram sec-6... ..in which company u r posting...n u can live hauzkhas green park ..safdurng enclave......

Yaar kahan ke research kar ke keh rahe ho ki Delhi mein 45000 salary pe guzara hoga. Go to Lajpat Nagar, you will pay a rent of Rs.30,000 per month + water and electricity and other expenses. Sorry folks it is very expensive you need a salary of Rs.1 lakh plus per month to survive in Delhi.

Hi,
I m also an expact in New Delhi. I m living here since 5 months. I think 45,000 wont be enough for ur living expenses. First of all according our needs and lifestyle, u wont get flat below 15,000. Then those basic foods what we r  eating is expensive. Here people survive from 10,000, so it up to u how u want live.
Delhi is a nice city, you will find lot of beautiful thing. It can be a nice experience.

All the best :)

i am an expat for almost 10 yrs here...

let's be clear...she is NOT a regular expat but rather an NGO volunteer. That matters too much. for expat, there is a minimum salary of 100K/month. 45K for a regular expat would make a "normal" expat a beggar but for an NGO..45K is rather good amount.

To live with 45K and you will have to pay your house rent ++++ would be low especially if you maintain your taste/choice of foods and drinks and you take taxi/cab rather than the killer public bus transport...ive been here 10 yrs but i've never tried a bus.

if you eat the local foods like parata, dal, etc....that amount would be great enough but if you must maintain your likings....forget about it.