Health Insurance

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone would be willing to share how they have set up their medical/health insurance. Oh and life insurance too?
I know we can suspend our private health while away, but not sure how to get insurance while living in Port Vila - besides travel insurance which of course is much more expensive.
Many thanks,
Susan

Hi Susan
Try Promed in Port Vila for health insurance but be warned it will be expensive
There are several Insurance companies you could try but maybe through your bank would be least expensive

Hi Susan,
If you'll be living in Port Vila for less then 12 months, then you could look at buying travel insurance which may be suitable to cover emergency type treatment. If you're going to be living there for longer, then expats usually buy local health insurance or an international health insurance policy. Local policies are typically lower in price but may not provide the same level of care that you're used to in Australia.

International policies are open to any nationality and almost any residence location including Vanuatu. You can buy a policy by going direct with the insurance provider, via an insurance agent or via a broker. In all three cases, there shouldn't be any difference in the price you pay.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We are there for only 4 months, so maybe travel insurance would be the way to go? We need coverage for both Vanuatu and Australia as we will travel back for 1 week within that time. So confusing at times. Thanks again!!

From my experience, travel insurance cover is only for 3 months max but I suggest you do some in depth research on this. There are things that travel insurance will not cover too.