Seeking a decent english speaking solicitor - opening a restaurant

Hi,
I'm hoping to finally move to Sousse within the next few month with my two children (7 and 16).
We're looking at opening a restaurant business in Sousse, but to be honest it doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to find out about, even being on the spot for a chunk of time hasn't really enlightened me.  I'm about to buy a shop which will be eminently suitable for the purpose but will need quite a bit of work done to get it right.  To be honest I'm worried about being given bad advice or not being fully informed.  Anyone know of a decent english speaking solicitor who would be able to help me through the ins and outs of it all?
Sue x

Hello Sue

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Hope local members here could help you out soon.  :top:

You could check out our list of Lawyers in Sousse, maybe they could help you out to find an english speaking solicitor.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hello again

what a shame.. for me ... after wasting 10 months speaking to three different sets of people about setting up a business they've all proved to be time wasters.  Pity we couldn't have done something together as you sound like a woman after my own heart ... that I mean actually delivers what they say they're going to deliver.

Much needed .. a decent restaurant that is and I'm sure you'll have a supply link for the things you can't source here.. unless of course you're doing something like Tunisian "fusion".

I agree entirely, even in the country it's hard to get ACCURATE information and I've had weeks on end of people saying they will help (on the ground) and deliver nothing!  Best to do it yourself or with other Europeans/Americans that understand the words deadlines and urgency!

Solicitor .. I've NOT tried this one... but am going to set up an appointment next week. Their English seems good but I don't have their fee structure yet.

M a î t r e  W a l i d  D K H I L
A v o c a t  à  L a  C o u r

Avenue Tahar Sfar

En face du Palais de Justice

4000 Sousse

Tunisie.

Tel/fax:  +21625403408

Email: [email protected]

www.tunisie.avocat.com

Can you please let him know I passed his details on?

If you get stuck I know a very nice, decent, professional Tunisian family who have a family lawyer they are going to introduce me to so that might be someone else.

It would be super to meet with your and the children when you get here.

Best of luck. Carole

Thanks Carole,

It's awful when people let you down, and so frustrating when you're trying to get something off the ground.  At least you can enjoy the sunshine whilst you're getting sorted out, it's freezing in the UK today where we live, I have the heating on.

I'm doing this with a Tunisian pal, so it won't be geared up for tourists really, more like a traditional Tunisian fast food joint and serving totally yummy food.  In a fairly industrial but partly residential area so hopefully we will be busy after the initial warming up period.

It just seems so hard to get info though, even on simple stuff like banking which isn't easy with the dinar being a closed currency.  And everything seems to take sooooo long. 

Good job I love it so much or I'd give up!

I'm back in about four weeks (24 September) so maybe we can meet up for a chat, and a moan lol.

Sue xx

Sue

lovely to hear back from you.  You don't know how heart-warming it is to have a sensible response and not yet another "Hi my nom is Wallid.  Have 32 years age.  I lik u I want your numbar and be u friend." (yeah right..)

I know you're a grown lady and don't need me to tell you but I'm going to say it anyway.  BE CAREFUL.  I had a so called Tunisian friend who finally showed his true colours not long after I arrived.  Needless to say the association is no more.

With regards to Banks - Bank Biat or Societee Generale.  I can take you to the branches if you wish.  During summer they shut after noon so do anything business or commercial EARLY AM.

Also, please don't do any money conversions for purchase of premises/house until you've had a word with me.  I'm looking at an affiliation with a major bank to do FX which will save money on currency conversions.  Having had 12 years in private and commercial banking it could work. Whether I do it or not, I can always help now or in the future. Eventually, when I've more money then I want to buy something small here or I'd like to get a half build and complete but not sure what sums we're talking about.

I do have loads of other business skills so if that doesn't work then I'll look at something else or simply write the book I've always wanted to.

Be great to see you and I know a few nice places we can go for a meal or drink.

Carole

Only follow Carole Reynolds, As an Expat in Tunisia I only trust Expats here.
She is right, only you listen alot and aloooooot but no RESULT from locals.
Take care and again follow carole Reynolds what she says.
thanks

hi sue and carol,

My name is jennifer i am an american expat living in tunis . just wanted to let you know that they way of doing things here is just going with the flow. locals are very laid back in the their actions . they don't understand urgent or a.s.a.p. lol . they make a lot of mishaps . and will try to convince you over and over until you agree with them . sometimes it is better to agree and get the conversation over with . but when it comes to business stand your ground ! don't let anyone talk you out of your choices .  good luck ! may god makes it easy for you

we used Rachid  Gaied,can pm his number.we went through 3 before him while buying a house.He used google chat and skype to keep us up to date regularly andwhen we moved over helped us with varying things.Container through port,dog import etc.Wasn't cheap but didnt cheat us and moved everything forward at a good pace.

Clumberdog, where is this solicitor based? He may be a good contact for me.

cheers

Sousse and Tunis as has two offices.Tel 021697262924.he managed to get us back import tax on our household container after threatening to go to Chief of customs lol.
He is also aware of future needs,ie we have a letter stating that we can take all our money back to UK if we sell up.
We had three horrendous ones before him.no contact,oh yes it is being sorted etc while in actuality nothing was done.
We still use him for things after four years here with no problems.
Good luck
Greta

hi sue
I wondering what happened with your move to Tunisia and the opening of your restaurant if you still interest I can help you I live in sousse and I know every one and every thing .I also lived over 13 years in south Yorkshire so I know what you going through .