Social security, education and health...

Hi there,

I have lived in various EU countries already, and now contemplating the move south. I have tried to inform myself as much as possible, but I still have a bunch of questions that my friend Google doesn't seem to be able to answer.

From what I read on the internet, it seems we would be in a big shit if ever me or hubby would lose a job in Gibraltar. Unemployment benefits are near to nil and if something happens in the first two years we would get nothing. Correct? If so, are there any private insurances that can protect us against loss of income?

We have kids and more in the making. From what I reckon it would be best to live in Gib instead of Spain, as Spanish schools are far below EU average (PISA results) and Sotogrande is too expensive if you have more than 1 kid. Is it eventually possible to rent/buy a studio apartment in order to get the residency, and then still rent a house outside of Gib? Is this considered illegal and are there any checks? What do families in Gib do? Small apartment and weekend house in the country?

What about healthcare? Do you get a rather complete coverage for 'free' (incl. basic dentistry, birth at hospital with epidural, pediatricians, physiotherapy) or should I count on additional insurance?

Are there any child benefits?

Any idea on what the net salary would be for a family with 3 kids and 50K yearly income from 1 salary? I tried the online calculator but it's asking for the amount in benefits and I have no clue what it would be.

What about pension? Do you get a fair pension at the end of the ride, or is a private pension fund needed? Is it something that employers offer?

What about the cost for nurseries and after school care?

Do nurseries and schools offer childcare that correspond to the timing of working parents? In the sense that it's possible to bring your kids to school, go to work and pick them up after work? Are the extra-curricular activities at schools organized in a way to make this possible?

Cheers,
Silvia

Silvia_NL wrote:

Hi there,

I have lived in various EU countries already, and now contemplating the move south. I have tried to inform myself as much as possible, but I still have a bunch of questions that my friend Google doesn't seem to be able to answer.

From what I read on the internet, it seems we would be in a big shit if ever me or hubby would lose a job in Gibraltar. Unemployment benefits are near to nil and if something happens in the first two years we would get nothing. Correct? If so, are there any private insurances that can protect us against loss of income?
Possibly, but at what cost?

We have kids and more in the making. From what I reckon it would be best to live in Gib instead of Spain, as Spanish schools are far below EU average (PISA results) and Sotogrande is too expensive if you have more than 1 kid. Is it eventually possible to rent/buy a studio apartment in order to get the residency, and then still rent a house outside of Gib?   I believe many do  Is this considered illegal and are there any checks? What do families in Gib do? Small apartment and weekend house in the country?

What about healthcare? Do you get a rather complete coverage for 'free' (incl. basic dentistry, birth at hospital with epidural, pediatricians, physiotherapy) or should I count on additional insurance?
Free but no dentistry except I believe children

Are there any child benefits?
I don't know I've never had any ankle biters.

Any idea on what the net salary would be for a family with 3 kids and 50K yearly income from 1 salary? I tried the online calculator but it's asking for the amount in benefits and I have no clue what it would be.
Assume nil and then check results, that must be the worst case

What about pension? Do you get a fair pension at the end of the ride, or is a private pension fund needed? Is it something that employers offer?

See https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/on-busines … nformation

What about the cost for nurseries and after school care?

Do nurseries and schools offer childcare that correspond to the timing of working parents? In the sense that it's possible to bring your kids to school, go to work and pick them up after work? Are the extra-curricular activities at schools organized in a way to make this possible?

Cheers,
Silvia

Hi Silvia

I have answered what I can

Most answers are on https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/

Best of luck

Grumpy

Thanks grumpy, it's again a step in the right direction. :-)
If there are others with kids that can answer some of the questions, much appreciated!

Why don't you consider a Dutch equivalent of Gib? eg Netherlands Antilles, St Maartens, etc in the caribbean? Surely easier for  you than an English overseas territory?

@Avocastreetrandwick

The Dutch overseas territories are nice, but they're really far away. ;-)

I definitely want to stay in Europe, so I can still see my parents occasionally.

regarding your original question, Grumpy has pointed you in the direction of most of the answers, basically if you have a job in Gib everything is as it would be in NL or UK, tax is much the same as UK which is 10k tax free then 20%, healthcare is free for you and your family, unemployment benefit you only get after X years contributions, education is free, including uni in the UK paid for by Govt! Salaries are same as UK - ie lower than NL, cost of living is slightly lower than UK - no heating, winter clothes etc, cheaper shopping in Spain... childcare is available in private nurseries, there is a group of them called Waterbabies around Gib. Accommodation is expensive to rent and buy, until you've been there 3 yrs you can only buy into a small group of open market properties. You can get a small apartment and weekend house in Spain, many people have Gib addresses but live in Spain, but getting kids to school and you to work is a struggle with long border queues at rushhour. You do see lots of Gib school kids in La Linea going/coming from Gib, so its possible with older kids. It costs £3k a term per kid to send to Gib school  if you don't have Gib residency and live outside Gib! You need to prove your Gib residency to the Education office, ie a residence card. Quality of life, in my view, is better than in UK because of sunshine and open air lifestyle, and closeness of Spain which I personally love, but its a personal choice. The only way is to test it first, rent for 6 months, see how it goes. It will depend on whether you can get a well paid job, everything will be based on that!