Colombo or Kandy?

Hello all, I'm in the initial process of discussing a teaching position with CIS schools.

Firstly, does anyone have any opinions regarding this school?

Secondly, is living in Colombo and travelling on weekends better than living in Kandy? I wondered if Kandy would have a slightly more pleasant climate due to the elevation?

I'm a single mom and we've lived quite a few places. However, I guess we still like to have access to western products. For this reason and close proximity to the beach (!) I thought Colombo might be better.

I appreciate any advice or feedback on this subject.

It seems your job offer is from Colombo International School, Kandy branch. Yeah so many international schools in Sri Lanka now. Every city has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Kandy climate is good and you will be able to breath fresh air and have some nature walks time to time.

Colombo is easy to live as all the important offices are there. Transportation and facilities are better than Kandy as it is the capital.

If you like beach, I don't think it is effective to live in Colombo. Colombo is not famous for nice beaches. Down-south & North-Eastern beaches are well famous.

Mal, thanks for the reply. I appreciate any information that can help me make the best decision! The fresh air you described might be nice as I live in a very large and polluted city at the current time! Thanks again!

You welcome:)

even if you still want fresh air in the vicinity of your office you can still set up home in one of the urban towns like kottawa,borelasgamuwa,pannipitiya....etc which are cooler and even the housing schemes have rivers. that can have best of the both worlds.

I've gotten some great feedback on the cities, thank you. I am still interested in learning of anyone's opinion on CIS.

Thanks again!

It used to be an excellent school back in the days, when I was still in school (about 25 years ago).

Not sure how it is now, but if history is anything to go by, it still must be among the top international schools.

PS: I did not attend CIS, but still wish I did going by what I see with the achievements of my friends who attended CIS.

Hi Farhaz, thanks so much for your input. I'm very interested in relocating to Sri Lanka! Your comment is very helpful!

hi
I have a language centre colombo 4.If you like to join with me as a language teacher pls.contact me 0713242398
lasith

Thank you Lasith, but I am a primary school teacher. Good luck to you!

I am sure you will love Sri Lanka. Best wishes on your new job.

ok.but you can conduct a english class in my centre.i want to recruit the english teacher.

Dear Madam,

Although I am Sri Lankan, I also faced similar problem like you. In 2014, I will come back from Europe to Sri Lanka and looking school for my kids, Colombo or Kandy? I think CIS  is ok, my be not the best school out of all the international schools. Finally, I decided to live in Kandy because of climate and it is a less stressful city.

Hope this helps you.
If you need any question please write to me.

Best reagards
Thusitha

Hello Thusitha,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think that the climate we a huge difference between Kandy and Colombo. I frankly love the cold climate but my daughter prefers the tropical climate. So, this move she chooses! I would be interested in hearing more once you return to Sri Lanka.

Thank you,
runningmom

Dear Running Mom,

I don't know if you are still about but wondering what decision you made and if you are happy with it. We are due to move to Kandy from Briton in August. I have two boys and am trying figure out which school to put them in and where to live. Just wondered if you had any advice from your experience. Many thanks - FrogYankBrit

Running Mom, I am really confused, as I believe everyone else who has posted also are.

Are you hoping to get a position at CIS Colombo or Kandy????

Because you mention living in Colombo and travelling to Kandy on weekends???

Anyway, please don't entertain the thought of living in one city, and working in another, because the commute would be horrific in Sri Lanka, long, hot, and totally not worth it!

Live where you work, or very close to it, and travel wherever you want to on weekends, everything is very accessible in Sri Lanka, even the coast, or the mountains, or anyplace else can be visited easily and fairly cheaply on weekends.

Let me know if you require further help or information on any aspect of living and/or working here.

Cheers!

Are you doing private clases?