Fresh Milk

Hello everybody. Is fresh milk readily available on the island?

Hi JohnMartin,
First of all welcome to Expat.com and the Mauritius forum :)
If you mean fresh milk straight from the cow, I don't know but else you can find very good milk in any good supermarket!
Cheers
Arlette

Thanks Arlette
No I prefer it cold and pasteurised (sp?) lol.
I know it is a silly question, but I am fond of fresh milk in my coffee. Powdered milk and long life milk just don't cut the moutarde.
Ciao for now
John Martin

Hi there,

SKC SURAT produces fresh full fat milk.

You can buy it in Super U for approx mur 35-45.

I simply love this milk!!

hi fellows,

to JohnMartinB: there's a small sealed plastic bag, named "Orlait"- thats pure pasteurised cow milk. i love that, its kinda  hygienic, and safe.

ah, dont abuse mate :P

I buy SKC Surat when in Mauritius, but it still doesn't quite taste as good as the milk in the UK.

I must try Orlait next time I am there.

best thing is to try real fresh milk straight from the cow,that you can find in villages.try it you will always look for it,just a way to express the taste of it

Thanks for the suggestion D but I have kind of got used to it at least being pasteurised (sp?) and to a lesser extent homogenised.

John my best bet is try the SKC Surat one. Pasterised and homogenised.

The best fresh milk IMHO is from Freshland at the Wootton roundabout on the motorway, Quartier Militaire exit.

Mark SKC Surat is also at that rounabout... isn't it the same ?

I saw a new one in Spar today, from Northern coop - I will buy one and try.Will give you feedback later.

try iscowpmauritius.co.cc they have cows also there is a farm at albion....

Hi, now they usually have fresh milk at super u, but its been a few days since they have it. There are 2 companies who have it: one makes a big bottle and the other a plastic bag. Anyone has the contact details of the one who makes the big one? I want to call them to make sure they deliver to Super U urgently! :-)

Hi
I buy Fresh Milk in Plastic bottles in London Way, Pick & Pay , fruit & Veg Lovers - it is similar to fresh full cream milk that we get in the UK - you even get a creamy top :)

The brand I buy is: Surlait entier- comes with a red top, cow on the front, labelled: Fresh Milk - Proudly Mauritian :)

Produced by: SKC Dairy Fresh Limited
             Telephone: 670 6700

I buy 6 bottles at a time and put them in the freezer, taking a bottle out the night before the morning I need it, then keeps for about 3 days in the fridge.

I sometimes shop in Super U at Rosehill but I have never seen this milk there.

Hope this has helped :)

Super super helped! Thanks so so much

abz wrote:

Super super helped! Thanks so so much

Your welcome :)))

Just to confirm, all milk cartons available in the supermarkets are basically reconstituted milk made from milk powder, right?

lol...

You have now Mia milk in supermarkets. Real fresh milk, 100% milk (and not half fresh half powdered, or all powdered).
It's super super good! I drink my coffee only with that...

There is a company called MIA Milk , sells Fresh milk that's Pasteurised , homogenised and clarified. You can get it in most of the re-tale  shops , give this a try .

Hello,

Where to buy Mia milk in Quatre Bornes? I couldn't find it in Intermart nor in Winner's supermarket.

Thank you

Hi,
I often bought the organic fresh milk from SuperU, it is 285 Rs per litre, totally crazy. Or Labourdonnais Le corbelle has also fresh milk but you need to pay extra for the bottle.

Are these available at Super U Belle Rose? Yes, the price is too much! It is so hard finding fresh milk overhere..