Macas expats

Can anyone direct me to an expat forum/blog or an expat connection in Macas.  Thanks - David

Hi dmcmillen,

What kind of information are you looking for exactly, may be we can find out here?

Regards,

David.

Houses/condos/apts for rent short/long term.  Is there an expat community there.  Cultural things to do.  Restaurants, shopping,markets, etc.  What's it like to live there.  We are considering moving to Ecuador and will be there for a couple of months.  We want to check out Cotacachi and have been looking at Macas as a possibility because it's a little warmer.  There is a lot of info available on Cotacachi but I haven't found a lot on Macas.

Are you bi-lingual?

I know someone well connected in Macas.  I will private message you my information.

Mike

I'd like to hear the answers, too. Maybe you could post them on the forum?

Especially about the humidity. So far in all of Ecuador, I've found these three weather choices: Hot and humid, comfortably warm but still humid, cold (under 70 degrees) and not humid.

It's hard to find accurate humidity data on the smaller towns.

Yes that is definitely true dude,,,been searching myself

"dreams-of-latin-america"

Banned!!

@Nards Barley > Her account is now activated. > dreams-of-latin-america sorry for the inconvenient.

[sorry for the off topic]

You won't find much information on Macas on the internet yet, but it is coming soon.  I know this for a fact because I am part of this.

Email me if you need more info.  My email and contact info is all in my profile.

Looks like you are the go-to guy on most Ecuadorian subjects, however, we are also looking at San Juan, Nicaragua, and Panama. Any advice on getting info on these two retirements country. Have you heard anything about the two countries favorable to retirees?

I wish I could help you on Panama,San Juan, and Nicaruagua but my knowledge is limited being I have never lived in those places.

There is even much more for me to discover right here in Ecuador.  I still need to visit Cuenca, Salinas, and Vilcabamba.

Mike

My wife goes home to see her family about once a year.  Here is her take:

Housing - more expensive than Ecaudor
Food (local) = more variety and cheaper here in Ecuador
Food/house hold goods/vehicles (imported) = much greater selection and cheaper than Ecuador
Public Transportation:  safer than Ecuador
Gas (fuel and cooking) more expensive

People:  why bother - she is prejudiced.  But has no burning desre to return to Panama.

Nicaragua:  No idea.  Did pass through the airport a few times.

I don't like the heat and the humidity.  If you can, visit the places you are thinking about.  Go home and wait a bit then decide. 

Mike

Hi I'm fron those áreas, Macas Sucua, Ecuador, i have a house that I'm saling in Macas.

Themiddleoftheworld wrote:

You won't find much information on Macas on the internet yet, but it is coming soon.  I know this for a fact because I am part of this.

The above was MOW's most recent post on this thread, dating from early July 2013.

A year and a half later, the world still awaits any increased flow of news or information on the Web about Macas.

We do know that "the Emerald of the East" is located in a valley near the Andes "cordillera" in southeastern Ecuador... has a population of about 14,000 (source: Wikipedia)...has plentiful rivers in the area, where river rafting is a popular pastime...and sits at an altitude of about 3,400 feet, with mild temperatures.

dreams-of-latin-america wrote:

So far in all of Ecuador, I've found these three weather choices: Hot and humid, comfortably warm but still humid, cold (under 70 degrees) and not humid.

It's a stretch to call a city such as Quito -- with high temps in the upper 60's year-round -- a "cold" place.  Not humid:  now that I agree with.

On sunny days, Quito feels quite warm under the noonday Equatorial sun.  After dark, you might need a light jacket.

"Cold" is some of the places where I used to live and left behind:  say, Minnesota and New Hampshire.  Especially this time of year.

cccmedia in Quito

I have spent about 4 weeks in Panama.  Marvelous place but we liked Ecuador better.
visited Catacochi and liked it but altitude tooooo high