Teach English or French in Indonesia

My name is Amouzou Piyabalo, a degree holder in French Education and I would
like to teach either English or French in any higher institution in Indonesia. Any magnanimous friend can assist me in applying for such job.

What is your nationality.?

happyhour wrote:

What is your nationality.?

Given he's in Ghana, and not an expat, I'm taking a wild guess he's Canadian :D

I'm guessing French teachers have the same restrictions as English teachers, and must come from a native speaking country.
As an English teacher, you have zero chance of a legal job, probably the same goes for French.

Let me humbly confess that a linguist and academician like Leopold  Senghor has even taught French Grammar, Phonetics to the French Natives. How more someone who has been exposed to French and English throughout his studies!!! Well, it is through interview and academic achievement that one can be assessed. Thanks

I am a Ghanaian. I  also studied in Togo, a French speaking country which shares boundary with Ghana

amouzoupiyabalo wrote:

I am a Ghanaian. I  also studied in Togo, a French speaking country which shares boundary with Ghana

As for English, forget the idea - no hope at all of a legal job.
I can't be sure for French, but I suspect you'll have problems. Try a google for French teachers in Indonesia, but all the ones I've seen ask for French people.

Fred, you raise an interesting point.  While expat English teachers are required to be “native” English speakers, does this same requirement apply to other languages?

One would assume yes, but then again, this is Indonesia!   :D

Ubudian wrote:

Fred, you raise an interesting point.  While expat English teachers are required to be “native” English speakers, does this same requirement apply to other languages?

One would assume yes, but then again, this is Indonesia!   :D

Not an issue I've ever looked at, but it would seem logical - still, as you say, this is Indonesia. :D

Hello Amouzou. Have you lived in France or any English speaking countries before? My guess is that you will find it difficult to teach either french or English in Indonesia.

I was born in Ghana in 1981.. My late father is a Ghanaian and my mother is a Togolese. I have been exposed to both English and French cultures.Currently, I am teaching both English and French in one of the Senior Secondary Schools. I teach Oral English and French, Literature and Grammar..I can even attach my curriculum vitae for your keen perusal.
.I would not like to blow my own horns. I have References from renowned Universities in the country who will disclose who I am..
. Thanks!!!

You can have 10 master degrees in English and related fields, but you still can't get a legal job in Indonesia unless you're from a native English speaking country on a very short list.

Waooo!!!! What a hyperbolic comment.! Whether American English or British English we learned how the language functions and how it can be taught. So let the legal framework operate as it stipulates. Thanks

amouzoupiyabalo wrote:

Waooo!!!! What a hyperbolic comment.! Whether American English or British English we learned how the language functions and how it can be taught. So let the legal framework operate as it stipulates. Thanks

Yes but I think the accent is extremely important. I do understand that you are highly qualified to teach French and English and no offence meant, but I would worry about my children picking up strange accents when they speak English/ My preference is for my children to speak English with a typical English accent. That is why I spend unhealthy amounts of money buying Box Sets of "Peppa Pig", "Ben and Holly", "Little Princess" and "Horrid Henry" DVD's from Amazon in the UK.

Similarly, I lived in France for seven years both in Paris and Biarritz, and I wouldn't want my kids to pick up a Marseilles or a Basque accent or any other distinctive accent. This is just my own personal preference for my own children.

But good luck if you can find a job teaching in Indonesia.

amouzoupiyabalo wrote:

Just fact.
You can't get a legal job here (as an English teacher) unless you are from a native English speaking country.
That will change (probably) for citizens of ASEAN countries.

The fact is, you could be a failed high school student, or hold the best of a string of qualifications in the language sector, but you still can't get a legal job here as an English teacher.
Anything else is wishful thinking - regardless of how much you dislike it.

Your plight is worth considering. But what will be the essence of your children acquiring a native accent without knowing how the language functions. Anyway, that has been the order of the day. You will see scholars who are very fluent in a given language.But when it comes to the syntax, they are totally void. I always advocate for phonology as well as morpho-syntax in any language that is to be learned

Mas fred was informing about the situations here. To teach English you need to be native speaking anything else will not grant you a work permit which you need.

If any other language you may wish to teach, you may need to be native as well at least provide diplomas required accordingly.