Safaricom SMS diverted through USA

Hello,

A somewhat strange question to all Safaricom subscribers sending SMS abroad. Has anybody recently noticed that your SMS receiver gets your messages from a number in the USA? I'm having this problem with my lady who is back in Kenya and I'm in Europe at the moment. The SMS she sends to my Kenyan number always have her ID but the ones sent to my Swiss mobile sometimes have a random American number as sender. The number changes from one SMS to the next.

This happens with both her numbers as if it's a general issue at Safaricom.

We both contacted our operators but they are both clueless and shrug off any responsibility. This starts to worry me because there's always a different US number popping up as if someone is tapping our line and divert the SMS through random numbers. The numbers are from different states all over the USA.
It's also annoying to receive SMS from an unknown number later finding out it was from someone you know.

Any hint is much appreciated.

hello Femi
I sometimes send texts to friends in America and only one complained on that, I think in Kenya or America there is a server known or unknown which hijacks texts and could badly dig to your privacy and even withdraw money on your behalf

Hi Reubz,

Thanks for your reply. It's not really what I want to hear ;) Yikes. The problem is that we don't know if it's on my end or hers. Those shady characters must have some criteria to intercept texts. Why ours? Not to sound paranoid but I start thinking there are "higher forces" at work, if you know what I mean... Even Angela Merkel's mobile was tapped...
We are righteous non-influential people though. We just travel a lot between Kenya and Europe. Perhaps that's what makes us "suspicious". Scary stuff though.

Safaricom has special computer that trace any hacking and can easily know whats wrong they can communicate with servers fRom all over safaricom house in nairobi is the place to go

Safaricom might have the tech facilities to track it down but they were not motivated to actually use them when my lady called them. I suppose it takes many more people with the same issue to actually make them move.

Hehe they are sleeping on their job femi

haha yes njui.
I keep testing with various Safaricom numbers. Same problem, but only between Safaricom and Swisscom. This is happening since new year. I suspect they might have upgraded or migrated to a new system which sends international SMS through a US server ... ?
I sent a text from my own safaricom to my Swisscom about an hour ago. It has not arrived yet.

I would really appreciate if someone who sends texts from a Safaricom phone to Europe could tell me how it goes.
Cheers

Use WhatsApp instead  - works very well to keep in touch with family in Kenya.

oh mmh if i was at safcom offices i would whack lazy fellas just to help you but can anyone help yemi

Believe it or not, they've fixed it. I still don't know on which side the problem was but after insisting with the tech crews on both ends they finally moved their bums.

None of these telecom companies can afford to lose customers...